AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Aside from the opening credits, season 1 episode 6 ("Panorama") of The Romanoffs on Amazon is 2.35:1. Even foreign language subtitles are safely contained within the 2.35:1 image. Other episodes are standard 16:9.

Legion (FX) and American Gods (Starz) play around with aspect ratio a lot. I'm pretty sure that one and/or both of them have had selected episodes entirely in scope 2.35:1, but I wasn't tracking that info when I watched them. If anyone can confirm any full-CIH episodes from these shows, I will add them back to the list.

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm putting Nightflyers down as 2.0:1, but it looks perhaps slightly less letterboxed than some of the other 2.0:1 shows on this list. Maybe 1.85:1 or 1.90:1? I would need a good screencap to measure exactly.

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It’s filmed with the RED Weapon 8K Dragon VistaVision camera and its native AR is 1.89:1.
That may be the camera's AR, but it doesn't confirm what the final product has been matted to.

My guess if you are seeing black bars is it is 1.89. The same as LieMAX. I haven’t seen the show do you think it is intended to have LieMAX immersion levels?
The show has very small letterbox bars. If you want to call that "immersive," you go right ahead. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
For what it's worth, the "Choose Your Own Adventure" Black Mirror: Bandersnatch movie is letterboxed (IMDb says 2.20:1), but the interactive pop-up options are in the lower letterbox bar, which prevents it from being watched in CIH.

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Added Project Blue Book. It's about 2.0:1.

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Added: Sex Education (Netflix)

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Added Russian Doll.

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Some more 2.0:1 shows added: Kingdom, A Discovery of Witches, Hanna.

Reactions: MaxTemp

·
Registered
157 Posts
Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008-2013) was 2.35. It was often aired cropped to 1.78 in the U.S. but all Blu-Ray releases were 2.35 for seasons 1 through 5 plus “The Lost Missions”. Lost Missions were essentially unaired season 6 episodes. Disney is bringing the show back for their upcoming streaming service but the AR of those upcoming episodes is unknown.

I wonder if this was the first TV show finished scope?

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Added The Umbrella Academy. At this point, it's probably a fair assumption that any new Netflix drama series will very likely be at least 2.0:1. Has Netflix launched any standard 16:9 shows recently?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Added The Umbrella Academy. At this point, it's probably a fair assumption that any new Netflix drama series will very likely be at least 2.0:1. Has Netflix launched any standard 16:9 shows recently?
I've not looked too deeply into this, but it seems their animated children's shows are mostly 16:9. Trollhunters (and the sequel season Legends of Arcadia, with another sequel coming soon) and Voltron, both Netflix Originals produced by DreamWorks animation were 16:9.

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
It's not a series, so I'm not going to add it to the list, but I think it's worth noting that HBO's Leaving Neverland documentary is letterboxed to an aspect ratio of 2.35:1. This is kind of a breakthrough for the "No Black Bars Ever" network.

What I did add to the list are a couple of recent Amazon shows: White Dragon and The Widow.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Saw the first few episodes of Impulse (already reported at 2.0:1) and thought it was pretty good. Dark and disconcerting, but so were the books. Will probably wait for season 2 before subscribing.

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
At this point, it's probably a fair assumption that any new Netflix drama series will very likely be at least 2.0:1. Has Netflix launched any standard 16:9 shows recently?
Well, The Order is 16:9. Guess they haven't fully committed to wider ratios.

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Couple new Netflix shows added: Turn Up Charlie and Love, Death + Robots.

I try to check out new shows of interest when I notice them, but it's not possible for me to keep up with every new streaming series.

·
Registered
27,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
21 - 40 of 265 Posts