AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yep, Im blind :eek:
No worries. I don't subscribe to Hulu, so if you find any other original shows on there (other than Handmaid's Tale and The First) that are wider than 16:9, please let us know.

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Spent a little time last night sampling shows on Amazon. Goliath is kind of a big title (no pun intended) we missed on this list.

Made in Heaven also has the very odd choice of a 2.20:1 aspect ratio.

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
It's not a series, so I'm not going to add it to the list, but I think it's worth noting that HBO's Leaving Neverland documentary is letterboxed to an aspect ratio of 2.35:1. This is kind of a breakthrough for the "No Black Bars Ever" network.
With Gentleman Jack, HBO officially has a series with a wider than 16:9 ratio. Must be a regime change at the network to allow this.

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Chernobyl (HBO 5-part miniseries, 2019) - by my measurements, Aspect Ratio of the first episode is 2.0:1, not the 16:9 that IMDB says it is.
Thanks. I'm not sure how I feel about including miniseries on the list, but I'll add it for now. I suppose it's not much different from a show that only runs one season.

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
I sampled a bunch of shows on Netflix to check their aspect ratios. The following were added to the list:

Chambers (another weird 2.20:1 show like Sabrina)
Dead to Me
Huge in France
The Innocents
Narcos: Mexico (the original Narcos is 16:9)
The Rain

Netflix has so many original series these days that I'm sure I'm still missing a bunch.

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I've just reorganized the list to sort by network or streaming provider. I think this makes it easier to read and to find shows. Looking at it this way, it's pretty clear that Netflix is leading the charge to produce shows at wider aspect ratios.

Reactions: dschulz

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've just reorganized the list to sort by network or streaming provider. I think this makes it easier to read and to find shows. Looking at it this way, it's pretty clear that Netflix is leading the charge to produce shows at wider aspect ratios.
Strange Angel on CBS All Access is wider than 16:9 (even though IMDB lists it, incorrectly, as 16:9). To my eye it doesn't look quite as letterboxed as 2.0:1, maybe someone can measure to confirm. May be 1.85 or 1.9.

Also - it's a great show!

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Strange Angel on CBS All Access is wider than 16:9 (even though IMDB lists it, incorrectly, as 16:9). To my eye it doesn't look quite as letterboxed as 2.0:1, maybe someone can measure to confirm. May be 1.85 or 1.9.
Thanks. I found a screencap online that measures about 1.9:1.

I suspect that some of the other shows I rounded to 2.0:1 on this list probably fall closer to 1.85:1 or 1.9:1 as well, but short of screencaps it's difficult to measure.

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I saw a teaser ad for The CW's upcoming Batwoman show that was about 2.0:1. Whether the show itself will be that ratio is yet to be confirmed.

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I went hunting through Netflix again and added a bunch more shows:

Black Summer
Crime Diaries: Night Out
Crime Diaries: The Candidate
Dating Around
Losers
Lunatics
Northern Rescue
Osmosis
The Protector
Quicksand
The Society
Special
Travelers
You

A few of these are only 1.85:1. Weirdly, Dating Around is a Reality show with a ratio of 2.35:1. Not sure what the point of that is.

Reactions: MaxTemp

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Looks like HBO is moving toward 2.0:1 more and more. Deadwood: The Movie uses that ratio. I haven't added it to the list because it's not a series.

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Good Omens on Amazon - 2.35:1.
Swamp Thing on DC Universe - 2.20:1.

Reactions: MaxTemp

·
Registered
861 Posts
Good Omens on Amazon - 2.35:1.
Swamp Thing on DC Universe - 2.20:1.
Josh,
I just wanted to say thank you for all the work you do keeping this thread up to date. It is a useful reference. I think if people want to discuss why different aspect ratios were chosen, there are other places for it. As Joe Friday would say 'Just the facts, ma'am.'

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Doom Patrol on DC Universe is also 2.20:1
Thanks! I don't subscribe, so this is very helpful.

I did some more digging through Amazon and Netflix last night and added the following:

Fleabag
High Seas
How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast)
It's Bruno!
Killer Ratings
Malibu Rescue
Tales of the City

Fleabag and Tales of the City are kind of notable titles.

Reactions: dschulz
41 - 60 of 303 Posts