AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Added The ABC Murders and Too Old to Die Young (both Amazon).

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I don't know whether Netflix's miniseries-ization of Tarantino's The Hateful Eight really qualifies as a "TV show," exactly. But it's four episodes, which is nearly as many as Chernobyl, so I put it on the list.

Assuming you believe it qualifies, we have a new record for widest aspect ratio at 2.76:1.

Reactions: dschulz

·
Registered
776 Posts
Netflix Star Trek Discovery is 2.0:1 first season and 2.35:1 second season.

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Netflix Star Trek Discovery is 2.0:1 first season and 2.35:1 second season.

That's on the list under CBS All Access, which is where the show streams in the U.S. I'll add a note that it's on Netflix in other countries. Thanks.

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The second season of The OA has been available for a few months, but I'm just getting around to watching it now.

Season 1 was entirely 16:9 as far as I remember. Season 2 is kind of a mess for aspect ratios.

Ep. 1 - 2.20:1
Ep. 2 - 2.20:1 except for the final scene, which opens up to 16:9
Ep. 3 - Entirely 16:9
Ep. 4 & 5 - Back to 2.20:1
Ep. 6 - 16:9
Ep. 7 & 8 - 2.20:1

It's possible there may be some other varying-ratio scenes that I haven't picked up on yet. This is all very frustrating to watch on a 2.35:1 screen.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Two Sentence Horror Stories, now airing on the CW network, is 2.00:1.

This is the first broadcast network show I can remember seeing in 2.00:1.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The second season of The OA has been available for a few months, but I'm just getting around to watching it now.

Season 1 was entirely 16:9 as far as I remember. Season 2 is kind of a mess for aspect ratios.

Ep. 1 - 2.20:1
Ep. 2 - 2.20:1 except for the final scene, which opens up to 16:9
Ep. 3 - Entirely 16:9
Ep. 4 & 5 - Back to 2.20:1
Ep. 6 - 16:9
Ep. 7 & 8 - 2.20:1

It's possible there may be some other varying-ratio scenes that I haven't picked up on yet. This is all very frustrating to watch on a 2.35:1 screen.
I wonder what possible logic there could be from the creatives to do this?

If my screen were large enough I'd almost be tempted to just watch this in 16:9 mode and let the wider ratios be letterboxed (which is how it will be presented for the 99% of watching on TVs or tablets). But it's malpractice on the part of the show runners.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts

If my screen were large enough I'd almost be tempted to just watch this in 16:9 mode and let the wider ratios be letterboxed (which is how it will be presented for the 99% of watching on TVs or tablets). But it's malpractice on the part of the show runners.
But it is TV. The creators are making a show to be enjoyed on TV sets and tablets. There is no malpractice it is up to us projector viewers to adapt some standard that suits our tastes for this media if we want to watch it.

I have said 100 times and been told 1000 that TV has no place or standing in CIH movie presentation. It is its own unique thing to be presented as the viewer likes best. In my case with a stealth screen wall I like this media sized a little larger than network TV and a little smaller than 1.85 cinema. If the image flip flops back and forth between 2.20 and 1.77 I don’t even notice it as there is no fixed frame of reference. :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
But it is TV. The creators are making a show to be enjoyed on TV sets and tablets. There is no malpractice it is up to us projector viewers to adapt some standard that suits our tastes for this media if we want to watch it.

I have said 100 times and been told 1000 that TV has no place or standing in CIH movie presentation. It is its own unique thing to be presented as the viewer likes best. In my case with a stealth screen wall I like this media sized a little larger than network TV and a little smaller than 1.85 cinema. If the image flip flops back and forth between 2.20 and 1.77 I don’t even notice it as there is no fixed frame of reference. :)
I'll always be ride or die for CIH, but Bud's got a point on this one. An episodic show that changes AR between or even within episodes is probably best represented on a Bud-style as-you-wish system.

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
If my screen were large enough I'd almost be tempted to just watch this in 16:9 mode and let the wider ratios be letterboxed (which is how it will be presented for the 99% of watching on TVs or tablets).
You know, I tried that. But the show also has frustrating photography with flat contrast and elevated black levels (even in supposed HDR). It looks pretty terrible floating in the middle of my scope screen with darker black bars all around.

It's a no-win scenario.

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·

It seems that there is some purpose to it. The story takes place across two alternate dimensions, and the aspect ratios indicate the transition from one to the other. Which then makes sense why all of the first season was 16:9.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
It seems that there is some purpose to it. The story takes place across two alternate dimensions, and the aspect ratios indicate the transition from one to the other. Which then makes sense why all of the first season was 16:9.
We can only hope they write in a third Alternate Dimension into the story line. Wouldn’t it be awesome if it was filmed Academy 1.375:1.

So far ARs have been sticking to rectangles a few are rectangles with the corners rounded off. I’m ready to see some other shapes. Also they seem to be dragging their feet on AR transitions. Why not more blending than the sudden switches? I always loved the Bond film openings where they had him in a round iris moving around the screen with swirls of red and black. Now I know those are not ARs but in today’s digital world of these TV shows especially what really is AR anymore? Pixels can be turned off in any arrangement the director likes and we get to see what is left. In The old days directors had to be cleaver in how they got such things on the film, but today it is as simple as photo-shop. So if part of the screen is filled with black it is the AR of the shot. If it adds anything to the movie or TV show is a matter of artistic interpretation. All I’m certain of is the director wasn’t planning for us to mask what is black or resize it in any meaningful way. It is just shapes on a 16:9 canvas that is TV. :D

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
We can only hope they write in a third Alternate Dimension into the story line. Wouldn’t it be awesome if it was filmed Academy 1.375:1.
Netflix canceled the show. No more dimensions.

So far ARs have been sticking to rectangles a few are rectangles with the corners rounded off. I’m ready to see some other shapes. Also they seem to be dragging their feet on AR transitions. Why not more blending than the sudden switches? I always loved the Bond film openings where they had him in a round iris moving around the screen with swirls of red and black. Now I know those are not ARs but in today’s digital world of these TV shows especially what really is AR anymore?

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Netflix canceled the show. No more dimensions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwkB6wAxNVM
That’s what I’m talking about. I forgot about that one it was very Brady Bunch.

Really we live in a world of windows these days. Masking has always been hard. In a movie the director might be giving it some thought, but in the world of TV it has never been a concern of the directors.

As to Netflix canceling a show, never say never. :)

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I finished watching the show last night. The last episode is mostly 2.20:1, but the final scene transitions to 2.35:1.

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I don't subscribe to Hulu. IMBb claims that the anthology series Dimension 404 is 2.0:1. Can someone who subscribes verify that? Is that the case for all episodes, or just selected episodes?

Is there anything else on Hulu that the list is missing?

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Just added a whole bunch of titles under Netflix. Kind of disappointed that nobody pointed out to me that GLOW was missing from the list. :)

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I don't subscribe to Hulu. IMBb claims that the anthology series Dimension 404 is 2.0:1. Can someone who subscribes verify that? Is that the case for all episodes, or just selected episodes?

Is there anything else on Hulu that the list is missing?
Yes, it's 2:1. All episodes.

61 - 80 of 301 Posts