AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I've added a section for Disney+. The trailer for The Mandalorian is 2.35:1.

Reactions: dschulz

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Added Carnival Row and The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance.

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Netflix's The Spy measures 2.10:1. I noticed that it was slightly different than The Dark Crystal at 2.20:1. It's possible that some of the other titles on my list that I have as 2.20 may actually be closer to 2.10, but I don't have the time to validate all of them all over again (much less to pixel count to make sure none of them are something like 2.15:1).

What's going on at some of these post-production facilities that so many shows are winding up with so many different non-standard aspect ratios? How does the decision even get made that a series will be 2.10:1?

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
What's going on at some of these post-production facilities that so many shows are winding up with so many different non-standard aspect ratios? How does the decision even get made that a series will be 2.10:1?
It’s maddening for sure. Not much different than prior to 1970 we had 2.35 and now we have 2.39 that most wrongly call 2.35 or 2.40.

As your Title calls these TV shows wider than 16:9 even though most watch them shorter than 16:9. Some, even many IMO live up to the wider definition but there are some I think really should play shorter as they are just TV pretending to impress with a wide screen feel. That’s all up to the viewer to decide as to how they work into their presentation method. As this is the CIH forum I guess here they are all wider.

Just out of curiosity are you setting up presets for all these ratios and then consulting the list before watching a show and selecting the proper AR?

Is there software that will detect the AR of an image and then automatically expand the height for CIH making the proper adjustments? That might be what is needed in the future if it’s not here already.:)

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Just out of curiosity are you setting up presets for all these ratios and then consulting the list before watching a show and selecting the proper AR?
I have programmed zoom presets into my projector for 16:9, 1.85:1, 2.0:1, 2.10:1, 2.20:1, and 2.35:1 so far.

Is there software that will detect the AR of an image and then automatically expand the height for CIH making the proper adjustments?
The Lumagen Radiance Pro will do this, but it uses scaling to adjust the image. It's intended to be used with either an anamorphic lens or a fixed 2.35:1 zoom.

Reactions: bud16415

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have programmed zoom presets into my projector for 16:9, 1.85:1, 2.0:1, 2.10:1, 2.20:1, and 2.35:1 so far.

The Lumagen Radiance Pro will do this, but it uses scaling to adjust the image. It's intended to be used with either an anamorphic lens or a fixed 2.35:1 zoom.

THANK YOU so much for listing your presets.

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
THANK YOU so much for listing your presets.

There's at least one show on this list (Strange Angel) confirmed to measure 1.9:1, but that's so close to 1.85:1 that it didn't seem worth making a preset for. (Also, I don't subscribe to CBS All Access yet anyway.)

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
The list continues to grow. I make updates to it regularly when scanning through Netflix and Amazon original programming. Many are shows I've never heard of.

The I-Land and Unbelievable on Netflix are new series at 2.0:1. Free Meek on Amazon is 2.20:1.

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
If anyone here is a subscriber to CBS All Access, could you confirm the aspect ratio for Why Women Kill? Thanks.

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
We have our first major broadcast network show with an aspect ratio wider than 16:9: Prodigal Son on Fox.

Reactions: dschulz

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If anyone here is a subscriber to CBS All Access, could you confirm the aspect ratio for Why Women Kill? Thanks.
Why Women Kill appears to be 2.39:1 (I didn't measure, but it's definitely fully widescreen); but unfortunately for CIH setups the (very cool) opening title sequence is full screen 16:9.

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Why Women Kill appears to be 2.39:1 (I didn't measure, but it's definitely fully widescreen); but unfortunately for CIH setups the (very cool) opening title sequence is full screen 16:9.
Thanks.

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Batwoman confirmed as 2.0:1. Well, I'm putting it down as that, but a tiny sliver of picture overshot the 2.0:1 zoom preset on my projector, yet was decidedly wider than 1.85:1. It may be something like 1.95:1, but it's hard to measure without a good screenshot.

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
The USA Network gets in the wider-than-16:9 game with Treadstone.

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
This list is updated constantly. New additions include Living with Yourself on Netflix and Limetown on Facebook Watch.

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
New addition (among others): Daybreak on Netflix.

I also just discovered that Nailed It! is 1.85:1. My wife primarily watches that one on a bedroom TV with some overscan, so I never noticed.

Finally, I added a section to the bottom of the list for shows with scene-to-scene variable aspect ratios. They're not Constant Height safe, but I figure they're of interest to CIH viewers.

81 - 100 of 301 Posts