AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
26,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
I've put everything into a sortable Excel spreadsheet. How does this look? Anyone prefer this to the text version?

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here are two notable March premieres, both international series.

ZeroZeroZero (Amazon) on March 6. International co-production in multiple languages including English from Stefano Sollima (director of the Sicario sequel). Trailers appear to be 2.35:1 unless the series is in the oddball 2.20:1 ratio?

Baghdad Central (Hulu) on Mar 27. Hulu acquired the series from Channel 4 in the UK. Trailers look 2.35:1.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here are two notable March premieres, both international series.

ZeroZeroZero (Amazon) on March 6. International co-production in multiple languages including English from Stefano Sollima (director of the Sicario sequel). Trailers appear to be 2.35:1 unless the series is in the oddball 2.20:1 ratio?

Baghdad Central (Hulu) on Mar 27. Hulu acquired the series from Channel 4 in the UK. Trailers look 2.35:1.
I can confirm that Reprisal on Hulu is in 2.40:1 ratio.Just finished the last episode. Great show!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
This is not a TV show but the upcoming IFC "True History of the Kelly Gang (2020)" is a variable AR movie. It starts off 16:9 but gradually, and I mean very gradually, narrows down to an almost 2.55:1. Kinda cool effect.

·
Registered
26,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
This is not a TV show but the upcoming IFC "True History of the Kelly Gang (2020)" is a variable AR movie. It starts off 16:9 but gradually, and I mean very gradually, narrows down to an almost 2.55:1. Kinda cool effect.
Did this air on the IFC network or streaming? Wikipedia says it's an upcoming theatrical release.

I think this should go in the "List of Variable Aspect Ratio Movies" thread.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Did this air on the IFC network or streaming? Wikipedia says it's an upcoming theatrical release.

I think this should go in the "List of Variable Aspect Ratio Movies" thread.
It's scheduled for 4/20 on IFC Films VOD. Not sure of a US theatrical release unless they are doing limited release.

I did not see the VAR movie thread. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
26,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #147

·
Registered
26,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Showtime's Black Monday was a constant 2.35:1 series in season 1. Starting season 2, the show has made a frustrating decision to move to a variable ratio that switches between 2.35:1 for scenes in the "present day" (1988) and 4:3 for flashbacks. The 4:3 scenes extend the full height of the frame, into the scope letterbox bars, so the show is no longer Constant Height safe.

Reactions: bud16415

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Short Rant About Bugs

Just a quick rant - posting here because I think those following this thread are the only 0.001% of viewers who would care...

I really wish broadcasters would bump their bugs up into the picture area (and out of the letterbox bars) when broadcasting shows that are wider than 16:9. Lookin' at you, CW. Having the bug spill down into the letterbox bars messes with the aesthetics of the widescreen presentation, and of course is problematic for anyone projecting onto a properly-masked screen.

I'm sure there is an infinitesimal number of people in the world projecting broadcast TV with the network bugs onto a screen, but still.

/rant

·
Registered
26,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I really wish broadcasters would bump their bugs up into the picture area (and out of the letterbox bars) when broadcasting shows that are wider than 16:9. Lookin' at you, CW. Having the bug spill down into the letterbox bars messes with the aesthetics of the widescreen presentation, and of course is problematic for anyone projecting onto a properly-masked screen.
Or, better, shrink it down so that it's only in the letterbox bar and we can ignore it completely.

I've been watching Briarpatch on USA, which is a 2.35:1 show. The network bug is almost totally in the letterbox bar, except for the very tops of the letters, which intrude a little bit into the bottom of my screen. I find that very annoying.

Reactions: dschulz

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Just a quick rant - posting here because I think those following this thread are the only 0.001% of viewers who would care...

I'm sure there is an infinitesimal number of people in the world projecting broadcast TV with the network bugs onto a screen, but still.

/rant
Being in the .001% of the .001% that read this thread and have a screening system that allows for CIH and also IMAX, I have to say I haven’t noticed or been annoyed by seeing the full Bug partly on the image and or partly in the IMAX area and partly the image. It is the same for sub titles having a place for them to go is a benefit IMO when they are placed in the black bars.

I have thought a lot about are these TV shows being non-movies actually wider than 16:9 or are they shorter than 16:9 as they would be more intended for the other .999% of the viewers. Despite the small percentage of viewers IMO they present well as assumed wider and like you I enjoy them that way. It is a logical follow thought process after you assume Prestige TV can be wider than TV to assume it can also be taller than TV as movies are out there taller than scope also.

Although I haven’t watched “Black Monday” yet I think I will be able enjoy the TV show as Scope-like and also the flashbacks Academy-like even though they are not scope or academy movies. I play my Academy movies taller than CIH (scope/flat) now so it should present well for me.

Also having screen area for the play/pause/time to display is nice when watching Prestige TV.
:)

·
Registered
26,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #153 (Edited)
Although I haven’t watched “Black Monday” yet I think I will be able enjoy the TV show as Scope-like and also the flashbacks Academy-like even though they are not scope or academy movies. I play my Academy movies taller than CIH (scope/flat) now so it should present well for me.
The 4:3 flashback scenes in Black Monday are meant to look like VHS on an old CRT TV. Have fun reconciling that with treating it like a classic Academy Ratio film projected in a movie palace.

Anyway, the season's third episode is constant 2.35:1 with no flashbacks.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
The 4:3 flashback scenes in Black Monday are meant to look like VHS on an old CRT TV. Have fun reconciling that with treating it like a classic Academy Ratio film projected in a movie palace.

Anywhere, the season's third episode is constant 2.35:1 with no flashbacks.
Sounds like the director made a grave error in judgment. As I mentioned I haven’t seen the show and I assumed the effect was used like it was in The Grand Budapest Hotel and a flashback to those years. You are correct if he wanted to flashback to 1950s TV he should have sized the image way down to look like a 19” 4:3 TV with rounded corners.

I watch Perry Mason and Twilight Zone etc. in our media room all the time off of streaming sites. I size them down as far as my zoom allows. What would really be perfect if I could find an app / mask that framed the stream in an old Zenith console TV set with a lighted tuner. That would be retro.

Maybe I should float the idea with Netflix to give me the option to stream it that way.:)

·
Registered
26,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Sounds like the director made a grave error in judgment. As I mentioned I haven’t seen the show and I assumed the effect was used like it was in The Grand Budapest Hotel and a flashback to those years. You are correct if he wanted to flashback to 1950s TV he should have sized the image way down to look like a 19” 4:3 TV with rounded corners.
The show is set in the late 1980s. The flashbacks only go back a few years to the early 1980s.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
The show is set in the late 1980s. The flashbacks only go back a few years to the early 1980s.
1980 doesn’t seem that long ago. Parents rocked 25” floor consoles and the kids if lucky got a 19” portable for the bedroom. Most of them still had knobs. CRT screens were starting to flatten out and the image corners were more square.

So ya a period correct size and shape for the flashback would be more convincing. Not the IMAX size you described. I do see the huge pixel size effect used a lot in movies and TV sometimes as a backdrop for the 60’s-70’s.

All we can say is right or wrong it is what the director wanted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
HBO
Run (Apr 12) 2.0:1
I Know This Much Is True (Apr 27) 2.0:1
The Third Day (May 11) 2.0:1

Summer TBA

Dirty John season 2 aka Dirty John:Betty (USA) 2.0:1 series moves from Bravo to USA for season 2

Coyote (Par Network) 2.0:1

·
Registered
26,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
The WGN America network has a new series called Almost Paradise premiering tonight. One of these trailers is standard 16:9 while the other is letterboxed to scope. If anyone watches this, can you confirm here what the actual aspect ratio is? I don't get that network in my cable package. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
26,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
I do not plan to subscribe to the new streaming service Quibi that launches today. My understanding is that all of its original content is designed to instantaneously switch from landscape to portrait layouts when you rotate your phone, so I wouldn't expect anything to have an aspect ratio wider than 16:9. If anyone does check it out and finds something notable that should be added to this list, please let me know.

141 - 160 of 230 Posts