AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I do not plan to subscribe to the new streaming service Quibi that launches today. My understanding is that all of its original content is designed to instantaneously switch from landscape to portrait layouts when you rotate your phone, so I wouldn't expect anything to have an aspect ratio wider than 16:9. If anyone does check it out and finds something notable that should be added to this list, please let me know.
It’s funny we have adapted Home Theater to include presentation modifications based around TV AR and now we will be adapting a cell phone media potentially to the big screen.

I wonder if any of the Quibi directors have commented on how their productions will play with big screen immersion levels? I generally watch cell phone media at about 6X Screen Height immersion.
:)

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
It’s funny we have adapted Home Theater to include presentation modifications based around TV AR and now we will be adapting a cell phone media potentially to the big screen.

I wonder if any of the Quibi directors have commented on how their productions will play with big screen immersion levels?
Quibi is only available for mobile devices. You cannot watch it on a TV or projector.

The reports I've read state that all of Quibi's content is photographed almost exclusively in tight close-ups. When you rotate the phone to portrait layout, the rare two-shot of people will change to a split-screen with one person's face on top of the other.

There is zero intent for big screen immersion, unless you plan to set your phone on the bridge of your nose.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
Quibi is only available for mobile devices. You cannot watch it on a TV or projector.

The reports I've read state that all of Quibi's content is photographed almost exclusively in tight close-ups. When you rotate the phone to portrait layout, the rare two-shot of people will change to a split-screen with one person's face on top of the other.

There is zero intent for big screen immersion, unless you plan to set your phone on the bridge of your nose.
I was just at the Quibi website and watched a few previews of their premium content on my monitor hosted at YouTube and could have easily ported it to the projector and it looked to me like the movies were framed and directed like any other made for TV movie. I understand it is a Phone only media and from what I’m reading the public finds that ridicules. People want to view where they want to view. I have watched IMAX epics on my phone also and if I’m stuck in an airport that might be the best I can do but without a work around IMO Quibi won’t be around long enough for us to list the ARs. Then again I’m wrong about most of these new cultural issues.

I do agree I won’t be signing up for even 90 days free with the restriction of phone only.

I only watched a few previews and I didn’t see the split screen stuff you mentioned, looked like regular TV to me.

https://www.cnet.com/news/quibi-bet-1-75-billion-youd-stream-on-the-go-then-the-pandemic-hit/

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
I was just at the Quibi website and watched a few previews of their premium content on my monitor hosted at YouTube and could have easily ported it to the projector
The previews were released to YouTube, but the full content is only available on the Quibi app, which is restricted to mobile devices.

I understand it is a Phone only media and from what I’m reading the public finds that ridicules. People want to view where they want to view. I have watched IMAX epics on my phone also and if I’m stuck in an airport that might be the best I can do but without a work around IMO Quibi won’t be around long enough for us to list the ARs. Then again I’m wrong about most of these new cultural issues.

I do agree I won’t be signing up for even 90 days free with the restriction of phone only.
So far, it looks like Quibi is a big flop. Even with a free 90 day trial (which means that nobody has paid a cent to use it yet), the app only had 300,000 downloads at launch, which is about 7% of what Disney+ had on its first day.

I only watched a few previews and I didn’t see the split screen stuff you mentioned, looked like regular TV to me.
Try turning your computer monitor sideways. I'm sure that will work. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Quibi dared Hollywood directors to make movies for phones. Who bit and what they learned

‘Turnstyle’ shooting

Veena Sud, whose Quibi thriller “The Stranger” debuts Monday, says she jumped at the chance to be part of what she calls “nothing short of a revolution in how we view film and TV content.” But that’s not to say the path forward was clear.

For Sud and the other filmmakers who jumped into the Quibi fray, the biggest challenge, visually speaking, was how to shoot something that can be watched as readily holding the phone vertically as horizontally, a feature that Quibi calls “Turnstyle.” Pulling that off required carefully planning every shot with an eye toward what would be in the frame in either orientation. In a vertical format, even simple dialogue scenes involving two characters talking to each other proved challenging.

“It took so much planning to figure out, how can I have conversations that don’t feel like a lot of information is missing?” says Sud of “The Stranger,” in which a Los Angeles rideshare driver (Maika Monroe) picks up a passenger (Dane DeHaan) who turns out to be a murderous psychopath. “We used every tool in the toolbox: We stacked the actors so one was in front of the other, we moved the camera, we bounced focal points back and forth, we used depth. We tried to really keep the visual experience engaging and not frustrating.”

Inevitably, though, cropping a shot vertically means losing key visual information, as any parent who has ever tried to shoot their kid’s school play or soccer game in portrait mode on their iPhone quickly discovers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien-print/quibi-launch-premiere-reviews-1288094
But director Mark Pellington is one of the few artists to make aesthetic distinctions between the service's horizontal/vertical viewing orientations — one compositional, the other uncomfortably intimate — rather than just resorting to pan-and-scan.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/sophie-turner-game-of-thrones-quibi-survive-x-men-1234576425/
The platform’s elevator pitch says that users are able to view content horizontally and vertically, while still retaining full scope of the storytelling. This required “cross-shooting,” or several cameras capturing entire scenes at the same time to enable dynamic viewing.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien-print/quibi-launch-premiere-reviews-1288094
But director Mark Pellington is one of the few artists to make aesthetic distinctions between the service's horizontal/vertical viewing orientations — one compositional, the other uncomfortably intimate — rather than just resorting to pan-and-scan.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/sophie-turner-game-of-thrones-quibi-survive-x-men-1234576425/
The platform’s elevator pitch says that users are able to view content horizontally and vertically, while still retaining full scope of the storytelling. This required “cross-shooting,” or several cameras capturing entire scenes at the same time to enable dynamic viewing.
This is a billion dollar risk by some billionaires that think they have their finger on the pulse of a changing society of media crazed viewers. My opinion is it will backfire and go the way of so many other gimmicks in media. That’s just my opinion and I could be wrong, people may love watching movies on a tiny screen and flipping their wrists over and over to see a facial expression that on a normal screen you could see by darting your eyes to look at a face. My lag time will be too slow and by the time I flip the phone the next image I want to see in landscape will be showing. I will constantly wonder what I’m missing watching the close up, and wonder what I’m missing close up when I’m panning.

I just don’t see Christopher Nolan getting excited to remake Dunkirk into a 10 minute Quibi.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is a billion dollar risk by some billionaires that think they have their finger on the pulse of a changing society of media crazed viewers. My opinion is it will backfire and go the way of so many other gimmicks in media. That’s just my opinion and I could be wrong, people may love watching movies on a tiny screen and flipping their wrists over and over to see a facial expression that on a normal screen you could see by darting your eyes to look at a face. My lag time will be too slow and by the time I flip the phone the next image I want to see in landscape will be showing. I will constantly wonder what I’m missing watching the close up, and wonder what I’m missing close up when I’m panning.

I just don’t see Christopher Nolan getting excited to remake Dunkirk into a 10 minute Quibi.
Not paying for Quibi either and it does not help that Quibi got cute calling their TV series "movies in chapters". Not when Quibi should have embraced the fact they are making short form TV series. I posted the links regarding Survive because of the different techniques, at least as far as I can tell, that the director utilized to take advantage of the turnstyle function. Not that I would want to view content in portrait.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Trailer roundup for a couple of upcoming series you might have missed. AKA there is a lot of TV.

Perry Mason 2.0:1 (HBO) limited series June 21.

Barskins 2.0:1 (Nat Geo) limited series May 25.

Nat Geo joins Freeform, both now under the Disney umbrella, with series in the "streaming ratio". Considering the push Disney is giving for Hulu and that episodes are available on Hulu the next day for (FX, Freeform, Barskins since most Nat Geo is going to Disney+), the choice seems logical.

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I'm having trouble editing the first post in this thread today for some reason, but Netflix's Space Force appears to be 2.20:1 from the trailer.

·
Administrator
18,688 Posts
I'm having trouble editing the first post in this thread today for some reason
It says you edited it within the last hour. Are you getting an error message?

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
It says you edited it within the last hour. Are you getting an error message?
The edit I'm trying to make - adding Space Force to the Netflix list - isn't taking and I get the attached error. Tried on Chrome (both desktop and mobile) and IE.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,688 Posts
There's something about that post setting off a security flag when attempting any edit. Let's give it a day or two. Sometimes it just goes away. Otherwise I'll get the techs to dig into it.

Reactions: Josh Z

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
There's something about that post setting off a security flag when attempting any edit. Let's give it a day or two. Sometimes it just goes away. Otherwise I'll get the techs to dig into it.
Thanks! Could it have something to do with the fact that I'd been attaching (and regularly replacing) a ZIP file with an Excel version of the list?

·
Administrator
18,688 Posts
Thanks! Could it have something to do with the fact that I'd been attaching (and regularly replacing) a ZIP file with an Excel version of the list?
That could very well trigger it.

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
That could very well trigger it.
For what it's worth, I still get the error today even when I try to edit without attaching the ZIP file.

Going forward, I can post the spreadsheet at the end of the thread rather than attaching to the first post.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
As much as I am glad to see wider than 1.78:1, it is almost sad to know that it is the shape of the phone screen that pushed this change, not advancements in large screen displays.
Reference proof for this statement. IMHO, it is the DCI 4K UHD cameras that have pushed the 2.0:1 with letterboxing.

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Reference proof for this statement. IMHO, it is the DCI 4K UHD cameras that have pushed the 2.0:1 with letterboxing.
Most of the shows on this list are shot at 2k. Both 2k and 4k cameras have a raw data aspect ratio of 1.89:1. It's been that way since the advent of digital cinematography, not a new development. There is an existing workflow to crop both to the standard 16:9 ratio, which is what almost every single show on the major broadcast networks do.

The choice to letterbox is an artistic decision that has little to do with the camera used. The 2.0:1 aspect ratio that's become so prevalent is cropped on the top and bottom from what the camera captured.

·
Registered
26,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Still no go for me this morning. Dr. Don PM'ed me last night, so he's also looking at it.

161 - 180 of 230 Posts