AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a list of TVs that support 720p anywhere?


Do most HDTVs support 720p now? Are there a few brands to avoid?


Thanks,

Flip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
I assume you mean TVs that support 720p input. Very few CRTs support 720p display, but yes most now support 720p input (converting it to 1080i for display).


I find the CE lists very helpful. If you know how to read them ... they tell you the input and display capabilities of all sets.
http://www.ce.org/publications/books...de/default.asp


It's not 100% accurate ... but 'mostly' accurate.


I think Panasonic is one of the few brands whose current sets don't support 720p input. It will be interesting to see if the new sets they introduce this year allow 720p input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
720p support means it will accept 720p video input but will not display them as 720p. They will instead downconvert the input to either 480p or 1080i.


For 720p support AND display, your direct view CRT choices are very limited: Princeton Graphics, Monivision, Proton, CTX, and Sampo (discontinued)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,539 Posts
For consumer HDTV CRT sets I believe only Sony and Toshiba accept a 720p input signal and they convert them to 1080i internally. Its only important for XBOX game users, since for HDTV an external HD STB is able to convert all formats to 1080i anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
For consumer HDTV CRT sets I believe only Sony and Toshiba accept a 720p input signal and they convert them to 1080i internally. Its only important for XBOX game users, since for HDTV an external HD STB is able to convert all formats to 1080i anyway.
Thumperboy, don't forget about the 34" JVC you secretly love. It also accepts a 720p input.


Hammer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kharvel
For 720p support AND display, your direct view CRT choices are very limited: Princeton Graphics, Monivision, Proton, CTX, and Sampo (discontinued)
As I've said, please don't reward the arrogance and neglect of the CRT HDTV manufacturers. IMO the best option - considering the large amount of 720P broadcasts now and the increasing amount in the near future from Fox Sports - is to wait for native 720P support (along with native 480p and native 1080i, which CRT already offers) for your next consumer grade CRT HDTV purchase. (DVI is also essential.)


Direct views last forever, you don't want buyer's remorse in as little as a year from now...

-Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by woodrow
I've found a couple of websites that sell Sony sets that actually say: "displays 480i,480p,720p,1080i" in the specs. The key word is "dispays", they like to use that word instead of "accepts", which changes the meaning of what the TV is capable of. So be careful, and always check the specs at the manufacturers website.
Which models are those?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Timwit
IMO the best option - considering the large amount of 720P broadcasts now and the increasing amount in the near future from Fox Sports - is to wait for native 720P support (along with native 480p and native 1080i, which CRT already offers) for your next consumer grade CRT HDTV purchase.
Unfortunately, I think you'll be waiting a long time. The trend in CRT seems very much to be in reducing native display rates ... not adding to them. There used to be a few CRT RPTVs with 1080i and 720p native display ... not anymore. Toshiba used to support 480p native display ... not anymore. JVC is scaling everything to 1500i ... and I think the Zeniths scale everything to 1080i.


Supporting multiple native display rates is fairly expensive ... and (unfortunately) there does not seem to be a great demand for it. And certainly not the willingness to pay for it. Supporting different input resolutions is a less expensive matter of scaling.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
6,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by woodrow
Man, I'll have to go back and start doing searches about the Sony KDP-51WS550 and the 57in. to find it. I'll do it and get back with a link.
Shoot, I checked onecall.com, and it's what they are saying. It's here:


http://www.onecall.com/PID_20068.htm


It states "HDTV DISPLAY CAPABILITY: 720p, 480p, 480i, 1080i." on the right hand side a little down the page. Surely if it really displayed them all we'd have heard about it. I think they are being flat out misleading, if not lying. People who don't know any better will think the things "do everything". The sets do have firewire though. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dt_dc
Supporting multiple native display rates is fairly expensive ... and (unfortunately) there does not seem to be a great demand for it.
Have you checked out the many display rates a good $800 21" CRT monitor can handle? CRT HDTV manufactures should be publically flogged for their apathy! To differentiate, could not just one manufacture give us all three native resolutions in just one of their models!? I bet they couldn't keep it in stock...


There is (unfortunately, as you say) currently a lack of demand, mainly because of a lack of understanding by the consumers. This will change as 720p continues to grow, but we can also make a difference. IMO the mantra around here should be "don't except second best, insist on native 720P!" When I watch sports on ESPN, ABC or Fox Sports Net I want the temporal (time) resolution of 60 complete, unique frames per second (i.e. native 720p); and when I watch Discovery channel I want native 1080i.


CRT is the only display technology that can display multiple native resolutions. What good is it if it doesn't!?!?


-Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by woodrow
Shoot, I checked onecall.com, and it's what they are saying. It's here:


http://www.onecall.com/PID_20068.htm


It states "HDTV DISPLAY CAPABILITY: 720p, 480p, 480i, 1080i." on the right hand side a little down the page. Surely if it really displayed them all we'd have heard about it. I think they are being flat out misleading, if not lying. People who don't know any better will think the things "do everything". The sets do have firewire though. :)
That statement is too AMBIGUOUS. It may be technically true though because it can ACCEPT these signals and DISPLAY them but at a DIFFERENT resolution than the input (i.e. input 720p, output 1080i)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Timwit
Have you checked out the many display rates a good $800 21" CRT monitor can handle? CRT HDTV manufactures should be publically flogged for their apathy! To differentiate, could not just one manufacture give us all three native resolutions in just one of their models!? I bet they couldn't keep it in stock...


There is (unfortunately, as you say) currently a lack of demand, mainly because of a lack of understanding by the consumers. This will change as 720p continues to grow, but we can also make a difference. IMO the mantra around here should be "don't except second best, insist on native 720P!" When I watch sports on ESPN, ABC or Fox Sports Net I want the temporal (time) resolution of 60 complete, unique frames per second (i.e. native 720p); and when I watch Discovery channel I want native 1080i.


CRT is the only display technology that can display multiple native resolutions. What good is it if it doesn't!?!?


-Tim
This is one of the reasons why I got the 38" Monivision which is a real computer monitor. If you are very interested in getting multi-sync resolution capabilities of computer monitors on a large CRT screen, check out these brands:


Princeton Graphics, Monivision, Proton, and CTX.


However, be prepared to pay a lot of $$ for their products.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
6,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kharvel
That statement is too AMBIGUOUS. It may be technically true though because it can ACCEPT these signals and DISPLAY them but at a DIFFERENT resolution than the input (i.e. input 720p, output 1080i)
So they're saying it displays 720p, just not AS 720p?? Your right, ambiguous, but VERY technically true. Still, uncool to say displays rather than accepts. Talk about confusing people who are new to HDTV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Timwit
Have you checked out the many display rates a good $800 21" CRT monitor can handle?
Yes. I also know some of the differences between a typical PC monitor and an HDTV such as light output, phosphor life, and most importantly ... analog multisync vs. digital scaling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
I can't cite the exact source I read, but that main reason we don't see 720p in consumer CRT sets is that the manufacturers have little interest in producing them. It's much cheaper to sell 1080i sets because it's a slight (or possibly none at all) modification to the Japanese HDTV standard sets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,898 Posts
It seems the Sony 65WS550 does display 720p as 720p (it's a CRT RPTV), I suspect all the WS550's do. In service mode it suggests that it does this, and someone hooked up a signal generator to one and confirmed that it in fact does display 720p as 720p.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top