AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Has anybody checked the new BD of Transformers: The Last Knight to see what aspect ratio(s) it is? Doesn't say on the case.
That movie uses at least eight different aspect ratios. Theatrically, it was projected inside a 1.85:1 container with black bars variously either on the sides or top/bottom. I just Googled a review that confirmed the Blu-ray does the same.

I would not consider this either CIH or CIH+IMAX. I have it listed in post #2 under "Other (Non-IMAX) Variable Ratios Movies."

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
That movie uses at least eight different aspect ratios. Theatrically, it was projected inside a 1.85:1 container with black bars variously either on the sides or top/bottom. I just Googled a review that confirmed the Blu-ray does the same.

I would not consider this either CIH or CIH+IMAX. I have it listed in post #2 under "Other (Non-IMAX) Variable Ratios Movies."
I watched this tonight... what a mess!!! WTF was Bay thinking and/or smoking/on?!

Tried to make it through the opening scenes just to see what everyone was talking about. I guess I was too into the movie when it first came out to notice in the theaters. But this time it was painfully obvious.

Just a constant change in aspect ratio. Sometimes. 1.85:1, 2.0:1. etc. Letterbox, Pillarbox, or both at the same time. I ended up just using the Stretch mode on my Oppo 203 and slid the Anamorphic Lens in place and forgot about it.

I think these Directors need to have a reality check. I understand artistic license and intent, or to be experimental. But, when 99.99% of the movie's life will be spent in a home environment, where the display's aspect ratio for the foreseeable future is locked at 16:9 or maybe 2.35:1 in some rare cases, it doesn't make sense to have this.

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've updated the first post to indicate that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Transformers: Age of Extinction are CIH on Ultra HD.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Can someone explain what the difference between these two are? Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians and others are always in 2.35:1 on 2D blu ray. I don't see any options for changing it. Thanks.

Movies that Played in IMAX Theaters with a Variable Aspect Ratio but are Only Constant Height 2.35:1 on Blu-ray or Ultra HD

Movies that Played in IMAX Theaters with a Variable Aspect Ratio but Have Constant Height 2.35:1 Options on Blu-ray or Ultra HD

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Can someone explain what the difference between these two are? Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians and others are always in 2.35:1 on 2D blu ray. I don't see any options for changing it. Thanks.

Movies that Played in IMAX Theaters with a Variable Aspect Ratio but are Only Constant Height 2.35:1 on Blu-ray or Ultra HD

Movies that Played in IMAX Theaters with a Variable Aspect Ratio but Have Constant Height 2.35:1 Options on Blu-ray or Ultra HD
Typically most movies that play in IMAX are enhanced for IMAX meaning it was shot 2.39 and then the extra out of the frame content can be added in during the IMAX DMR process. Occasionally these may be filmed with IMAX cameras and have specific scenes shot and displayed with more vertical height and content. This can be done with any other camera as well. It’s mutually beneficial to IMAX and the studio and producers because of revenue generated. There is no need to include this version in the home release.

Then you have certain directors that film in IMAX primarily if not exclusively to a specific film. They will usually release those movies as it was shown in IMAX or close to it while still maximizing for 16x9 panels and screens. It typically adds little to the content but there’s no denying it’s a money maker. There isn’t multiple copies per disc. You get one or the other.

It actually defeats the purpose by putting VAR in a home release. The intent is to have you sitting in an IMAX theater.

·
Registered
8,556 Posts
It actually defeats the purpose by putting VAR in a home release. The intent is to have you sitting in an IMAX theater.
I agree you can’t recreate the IMAX experience at home 100% just as it is imposable to recreate the experience of a Scope or Flat for that matter True Cinema experience at home 100%. Unless you are a lucky enough to live in a commercial theater or wealthy enough to build one the best you can do at home is try and replicate some of the feel of a commercial theater be it IMAX or Scope.

One of the things you can somewhat recreate is the level of visual immersion be it IMAX1.89 or be it Scope 2.35. In replicating the visual immersion we then say we have a “Scope” or “IMAX1.89” theater at home even though we really don’t.

That in no way defeats the purpose of putting VAR in the home release media. As if a person has a facsimile of an IMAX1.89 theater at home with IMAX1.89 visual immersion the media containing the VAR material is most welcomed.
:)

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is meant to be a purely informational thread. Please keep your bickering out of it, Bud.^ Thank you.

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)

The 2D editions of Civil War, Doctor Strange, and Guardians are constant 2.35:1. Only the 3D editions are variable aspect ratio.

"Movies that Played in IMAX Theaters with a Variable Aspect Ratio but are Only Constant Height 2.35:1 on Blu-ray or Ultra HD" means that all home video editions are CIH. There is no option to watch these movies with a variable ratio at home. Not in 2D, not in 3D, nothing.

"Movies that Played in IMAX Theaters with a Variable Aspect Ratio but Have Constant Height 2.35:1 Options on Blu-ray or Ultra HD" means that some home video editions are variable ratio (typically the 3D copies), but other versions (such as 2D) are available in a CIH ratio.

·
Registered
8,556 Posts
This is meant to be a purely informational thread. Please keep your bickering out of it, Bud.^ Thank you.
Please excuse my intrusion into a purely informational thread by commenting on another’s comments. I do take exception to you thinking I by name was bickering and off topic but not the statement I was addressing.

Please if you would have the mod remove this post and all posts and partial posts you find non informational.

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Added Thor: Ragnarok to the list.

This is perhaps still pending confirmation, but word is that the 3D edition (which is only available overseas, not in North America) has variable ratios. The 2D Blu-ray and UHD editions are CIH.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for this. Great resource.

Bummer that there's no way to see the IMAX scene from The Force Awakens on Blu-ray. Double bummer that the MCU movies only provide the 16:9 scenes with the 3D Blu-rays.

This might be a dumb question, but are 3D Blu-rays shown in full SBS or half SBS? If full, then I wouldn't mind buying the 3D Blu-rays and ripping my own 1080p crops in 2D. I really just want to see the 16:9 scenes in 2D, but without losing half of the horizontal resolution.

edit: also, Black Panther (currently in theaters) continues the Marvel tradition of shifting aspect ratio for IMAX.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Thanks for this. Great resource.

Bummer that there's no way to see the IMAX scene from The Force Awakens on Blu-ray. Double bummer that the MCU movies only provide the 16:9 scenes with the 3D Blu-rays.

This might be a dumb question, but are 3D Blu-rays shown in full SBS or half SBS? If full, then I wouldn't mind buying the 3D Blu-rays and ripping my own 1080p crops in 2D. I really just want to see the 16:9 scenes in 2D, but without losing half of the horizontal resolution.

edit: also, Black Panther (currently in theaters) continues the Marvel tradition of shifting aspect ratio for IMAX.
Legit 3D blurays from movie studios should all be using the MVC (multiview) frame packed codec... not SBS or TB formats more typically associated with streaming or bootleg rips. So, yes if you rip the 3D version and play it in 2D, you will indeed get a full resolution version of the movie.

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
3D Blu-rays are encoded in frame-packed format. One full 1080p frame for the first eye followed by another full 1080p frame for the second eye in rapid succession.

Most Blu-ray players will allow you to turn off 3D and only watch the first eye view.

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The Blu-ray and UHD editions of Star Wars: The Last Jedi are CIH. No variable aspect ratio. I have updated the first post.

·
Registered
94 Posts
3D Blu-rays are encoded in frame-packed format. One full 1080p frame for the first eye followed by another full 1080p frame for the second eye in rapid succession.

Most Blu-ray players will allow you to turn off 3D and only watch the first eye view.
Hm, gonna rent Guardians of the Galaxy and test the options available on Xbox One X. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Hmm... the bluray players that I have owned (for the most part Sony models) do not allow me to just switch the player into 2D mode for a 3D only disc. But, I can do this on my display device (Panasonic projector) though...

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hmm... the bluray players that I have owned (for the most part Sony models) do not allow me to just switch the player into 2D mode for a 3D only disc. But, I can do this on my display device (Panasonic projector) though...
Check the Blu-ray player setup menus (not the disc menus) when no disc is inserted. There should be an option to turn off 3D entirely.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Check the Blu-ray player setup menus (not the disc menus) when no disc is inserted. There should be an option to turn off 3D entirely.
Sorry to derail the thread here... But, that also doesn't work.. with the menu option for 3D turned OFF, inserting a 3D disc results in an error message stating that a 3D capable display is necessary in order for playback to continue... But, again maybe this varies with other bluray disc player manufacturers...

21 - 40 of 213 Posts