Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys

well, I thought it might be good to sort of list the dvds we think have some distortion or harshness in the sound and not hardware induced.

I think first of these:

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT: some harshness in dialogues during the trial

THE 5TH ELEMENT: some distortion during the jumping scene

CLIFFHANGER reg 2 DTS Japan ( got to double check this one ): some distorsion during the crash scene and before

JEEPER CREEPERS: some dialogues harshness during the beginning

THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS in dts: on several occasions I felt distortion

there are more most probably but these first come to my mind. Notice I stick with "recent" movies, for which distortion might feel more surprising.

these distortion occur in the mids and highs. I don't use yet pro amps with clip indicator and clip limiters ( soft clip ), which are very useful. Some reviews of these dvds have also spotted these distortion and harshness ( I think of dvdfile or widescreen for instance ).

I noticed none with SAVING PRIVATE RYAN or GLADIATOR in dts

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
David great idea.

I also noticed some distortion in THE FIFTH ELEMENT SB. It was in more than one place that I noticed it.

Vanilla Sky -very harsh distortion when characters yell.

Ocean's 11 -a little bit in some scenes

Akira THX edition has absolutely zero distortion. This leads me to believe that THX does a good job of limiting volume that goes to the center channel. I also believe that Courage Under Fire dts (THX) has zero distortion in the center channel.

Just some food for thought. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well, it's not distortion, but Lethal Weapon: Director's Cut is the WORST DTS soundtrack available to man. I was actually shocked when I bought it because the DTS badge usually never goes on garbage (are you listening, Mr. THX?).

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leathal Weapon dts remastering is indeed not the best dts available, one could wonder that maybe it was intentional :D

nah, in 1987, it was still before the dawn of dolby digital anyway.

ok, more examples please :D

Lax

hi :)

don't draw hasty conclusion on THX :D

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Sorry :) I just made an assumption based on the few movies that I have that are THX. BTW, does T2: UE have "crackle" or distortion?

And am I Mr. THX? Because I am not one of THX's biggest fans. I think there symbol is nothing more than consumer brainwashing. Personally I think that anyone buying a piece of equipment just because it is THX-certified is certifiably nuts! :) So do you now see my full opinion of THX?

Here are a few more titles:

Fast and the Furious (dts)

Rush Hour 2 (dts-ES)

Training Day (not many but there were a few)

Alright I can't think of any more, keep um coming though! :)

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey :)

got to recheck those last three titles though i don't recall distortion. Loud, yes but undistorted as far as I remember.

THX: rah, the big debate :D

I too prefer to stick to weight, size, unclipped power, 1ohm capacity, rise time, features ( like clip mode etc ) and then when the hardware is great and on top of that it is THX certified, ok ! :)

I like the cinema THX principles. I hate the vhs THX or THX dvd with EE galore :D or THX PC speakers (doh!).

note:my Denon A10 is THX certified ( and it's a great amp, I admit ). my subwoofers are also (18" 300liters :D 20hz flat after EQ , 1600w continuous power :D ). but that's all that is THX in my system.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good topic....... I'll have to dig out my list.and I'll get back to you

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I am proud to say that the only THX product I own are DVDs.

None of my equipment has the symbol THX on them. :D Though I would like a Denon 4802 and that has the THX symbol on them. Ohh well, I don't have any money now so I guess I don't have to worry about that right now.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lax01
I am proud to say that the only THX product I own are DVDs.
Why is that?...Although you admit that THX DVD's are good recordings,

the rest of THX certifications is consumer brainwashing??...Whatever.

Altho I did not buy my Logitech Z560's or my Marantz SR8200 based on THX, THX processing is a welcome addition to the receiver. So I guess when and if you get that 4802, you will be quite embarassed to show to others?:rolleyes: Ok enough stirrin the pot. Im done.:D

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
From Hell (audio distortion) with Johny Depp and I can't takeit back, for it was bought on the my day *out* about two weeks ago. I get a day out in your world, only every couple of weeks. Next day out is June 5th, rain or shine. It's so nice to be out of my apartment even if it's just for a few hours.:)

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi Hob

really ? i tested it with a friend Friday, no distortion noticed but it's quite loud with some powerful low frequencies

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
One of the live piano scenes in the movie "Shine" sounds like the input volume was too loud during recording.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
-Cannonball Run, R2 Norwegian release - Audio distortion every time something louder than talking happens.

-Lots in Space, R2 Norwegian Release - Audio Distortion once or twice.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David600
THE 5TH ELEMENT: some distortion during the jumping scene
One of the best examples of distortion in this movie segment is the engine revving sound that pans from left to right in the rear speakers when Korben Dallas (Bruce Willis) spins his taxi 180 degrees right after Leeloo smashes through the roof.

It has the tell-tale clipping/distortion/static sound to it in both the original AND the superbit release. If you didn't know better, you'd think your amp(s) were clipping.

Kal

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kal

you're 100% true. it was also on the laserdisc.

maybe AOTC will have some slight distorsion too :D : when Anakin shouts of anger, in that tech room with Padmé, after he came back with his mother

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I have experienced vocal "distortion" in several Star Trek movies and Dr. Dolittle 2 from the center speaker. I haven't heard it in the other 650+ DVDs I've played.

Has anyone else heard distortion in the vocals of these movies or any others?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Here is a list of titles that DON'T have any kind of audio distortion or harshness in at least one scene:

" "

;)

Some are much worse than others, though. As bad examples i remember:

- the 5thE scene mentioned above

- in 5thE when the cop makes the dive "we found her"

- in starship troopers when the ships collide in front of Mrs Richards

- the whole car chase scene on the original DVD of Notting Hill. Haven't checked the new ultimate edition yet. I doubt its any different.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Lax, no you are not Mr. THX. I was actually addressing Mr. Lucas, the black-hearted man that made Star Wars a hit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.