AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

Here's the deal... I love my current speakers, they produce some amazing sound but are LARGE and weigh approximately 90lbs a speaker. Everything I have listened to so far has seemed sub par to my current speakers and a waste of my money. I finally found some that I like and they actually may sound better than what I currently have.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/mythos-st-l

This is their flagship and @ $5000 for a pair it just isn't in the budget right now. Is there any other maker out there that comes close to this speaker sound that isn't $5,000? I listened to all the other deftech speakers and they just sounded off to me. Nothing I would own. The 8060's were't bad, but still sounded lacking to what I have now. It seemed either the speakers were super clear or too much bass/full sounding and not very clear. These speakers above were clear yet well balanced and very full.

I auditioned Martin Logan, Def Tech, Bowers and Wilkins and Energy speakers. For my ears I loved the Def Tech Flagship speakers. I listened to the Bowers and Wilkins and if they were warmer/fuller I would entertain those (the clarity on the Bowers and Wilkins was great).

I don't have access to any other speaker brands locally and want to spend my money wisely.

Thanks fellas!

The sales guy said since I like the high sensitivity tweeters he suggested I listen to some gold brand speakers? He said it was DefTech competition so he couldn't tell me what the brand was or who to go to.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Ok,

Here's the deal... I love my current speakers, they produce some amazing sound but are LARGE and weigh approximately 90lbs a speaker. Everything I have listened to so far has seemed sub par to my current speakers and a waste of my money. I finally found some that I like and they actually may sound better than what I currently have.

This is their flagship and @ $5000 for a pair it just isn't in the budget right now. Is there any other maker out there that comes close to this speaker sound that isn't $5,000? I listened to all the other deftech speakers and they just sounded off to me. Nothing I would own. The 8060's were't bad, but still sounded lacking to what I have now. It seemed either the speakers were super clear or too much bass/full sounding and not very clear. These speakers above were clear yet well balanced and very full.

I auditioned Martin Logan, Def Tech, Bowers and Wilkins and Energy speakers. For my ears I loved the Def Tech Flagship speakers. I listened to the Bowers and Wilkins and if they were warmer/fuller I would entertain those (the clarity on the Bowers and Wilkins was great).

I don't have access to any other speaker brands locally and want to spend my money wisely.

Thanks fellas!

The sales guy said since I like the high sensitivity tweeters he suggested I listen to some gold brand speakers? He said it was DefTech competition so he couldn't tell me what the brand was or who to go to.
Look for a pair of the Mythos STS, $3K/pair new. They are the "baby" brother of the ST. You won't lose much in sound quality and you'll get to keep a bunch of that 5K. For even bigger savings, consider used and save even more.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Ok,

Thanks fellas!

Most likely the sales guy was talking about this brand:

http://www.goldenear.com

Designed by the original designer of the DefTech's, the comparable line to the mythos that you listen to would be the SuperSat's, but.... The GoldenEar's will sound different as they use a different type of tweeter.

I second the recommendation of the ST-L's little brother the STS, basically the same sound with less bass, but for what you save, you could add a Sub or Two and still spend less. A pair of STS's and a pair of SVS SB-1000's would be really close in sound and only run you 4k brand new.

Or, if you didn't mind used, something that would sound very similar would be the original Mythos One's paired with some SB-1000's would only run you in the neighborhood of 2k or so, but it would take some patience to find them.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I love my current speakers, they produce some amazing sound ...

This is their flagship and @ $5000 for a pair it just isn't in the budget right now. Is there any other maker out there that comes close to this speaker sound that isn't $5,000?
My advice ... if the Def Tech's little brothers don't make your socks go up and down, wait until you can get the ones you want. If you're like many people here you'll get on the upgrade merry-go-round, finally get the ones you want in the end, having spent more getting there than if you had just bought them to begin with.

I could see me heading in this direction, so I got off the merry-go-round and just bought some Paradigm Signatures, and as far as I'm concerned I'm done buying speakers (at least for that room ;)).

If you love your current speakers it doesn't sound like you need to be in a hurry. Eventually those Mythos will be put on sale or discontinued and you can snap them up for a good price. Or you could get them off ebay right now (new and refurb from dealers) for between $3,500-4,300. Or just keep saving up.

·
Registered
737 Posts
You can save some coin by purchasing from DT's 'unofficial' refurb seller HERE. Lots of us DT guys on here have purchased from there with no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could tell you what my speakers are, but chances are you have never auditioned them because they are SUPER rare and many people who have never heard these specific speakers slam them before hearing them due to the brand name. My current speakers were only made for the military commercially back in the 90's and are superb in my opinion after to listening to many other speakers.

My current speakers are 30hz-20khz, 105db sensitivity and 400 watts at 4 ohm. They use horn tweeters a 6" mid and a 15" woofer. When I play music the only speakers that I have listened to that make you feel like your right there when they are playing are my current speakers and these ST-L Speakers. Dave Mathews blu ray simply either sounds amazing or like crap to me depending on the speakers. If I can't shut my eyes and know where he is at on stage by listening and hear every strum of the guitar and sliding of his finger on that guitar along with full sound and warm midrange I just feel the speakers aren't speakers.

With that said I will drive the 20 miles today to check out those goldenear brand speakers. That audio shop is also a macintosh amp dealer so I imagine he will have other stuff I may enjoy.

The genre of music I listen to could be also why I like these style speakers. I listen to guitar, piano, violin, vocalists etc. Not a huge fan on bass or digitized sounds that hide the real artist or instruments.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Kind of surprising that you don't like bass with 15" woofers.

For things like guitar, violin, piano I prefer electrostatic speakers. I find that they do a much better job at crisp high frequencies than other drivers probably because they have far less extension.

Martin Logan make some electrostats. Not sure if you listened to them or not.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I could tell you what my speakers are, but chances are you have never auditioned them because they are SUPER rare and many people who have never heard these specific speakers slam them before hearing them due to the brand name. My current speakers were only made for the military commercially back in the 90's and are superb in my opinion after to listening to many other speakers.
Or you could just tell us what speakers you actually have rather than state specs which many companies even those here that people love lie about.

It shouldn't matter what brand of speaker you have, as long as YOUR ears are happy.

What is the make and model number of your speakers? Including it will help people who google them in the future looking for info.

·
Registered
30,271 Posts

My current speakers are 30hz-20khz, 105db sensitivity and 400 watts at 4 ohm. They use horn tweeters a 6" mid and a 15" woofer. When I play music the only speakers that I have listened to that make you feel like your right there when they are playing are my current speakers and these ST-L Speakers. Dave Mathews blu ray simply either sounds amazing or like crap to me depending on the speakers. If I can't shut my eyes and know where he is at on stage by listening and hear every strum of the guitar and sliding of his finger on that guitar along with full sound and warm midrange I just feel the speakers aren't speakers.

With that said I will drive the 20 miles today to check out those goldenear brand speakers. That audio shop is also a macintosh amp dealer so I imagine he will have other stuff I may enjoy.

The genre of music I listen to could be also why I like these style speakers. I listen to guitar, piano, violin, vocalists etc. Not a huge fan on bass or digitized sounds that hide the real artist or instruments.
Old Cerwin Vega's?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spot on! Yes, they are cerwins. I am not usually a cerwin fan, but these speakers are just great! My buddy's Teledyne AR9's are better, but for the price I paid I still feel they blow away most $2000 speaker pairs I have heard. The reason for newer speakers is I am trying to lower my footprint. I am moving into a home where the living room isn't as large as my current place so any extra space on the floor is a good thing.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Why so cryptic?

Being slammed for their brand name yet "super rare" seem to be incongruous notions, no?

Knowing what you have only helps others in making recommendations.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why so cryptic?

Being slammed for their brand name yet "super rare" seem to be incongruous notions, no?

Knowing what you have only helps others in making recommendations.

I was cryptic because most people see cerwin typed on the board and then think in their head "this guy knows nothing about quality"...

The specific model is MX-400, I haven't come across another pair in this state. I have seen 2 others sets on some vintage audio forums and finding any data about them on the net is pretty tough.

So now that you know what I have, maybe that can help figure out where I go from here?

Again I think my cerwins are great, I am just looking for a smaller footprint without compromising sound.

·
Registered
19,124 Posts
You can save some coin by purchasing from DT's 'unofficial' refurb seller HERE. Lots of us DT guys on here have purchased from there with no issues whatsoever.

Don't hesitate to call or email us at AV Science for Definitive Technology speaker pricing too - just FYI ! :)

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Spot on! Yes, they are cerwins. I am not usually a cerwin fan, but these speakers are just great! My buddy's Teledyne AR9's are better, but for the price I paid I still feel they blow away most $2000 speaker pairs I have heard. The reason for newer speakers is I am trying to lower my footprint. I am moving into a home where the living room isn't as large as my current place so any extra space on the floor is a good thing.

I understand. I have an old set of Cerwin Vega D-9's. I just can't let them go. These are late 80's speakers. While I would never buy new Vega's personally, the old stuff was crazy good. You would not believe the speakers I have tried over the years trying to replace these things.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Most likely the sales guy was talking about this brand:

http://www.goldenear.com

Designed by the original designer of the DefTech's, the comparable line to the mythos that you listen to would be the SuperSat's, but.... The GoldenEar's will sound different as they use a different type of tweeter.

I second the recommendation of the ST-L's little brother the STS, basically the same sound with less bass, but for what you save, you could add a Sub or Two and still spend less. A pair of STS's and a pair of SVS SB-1000's would be really close in sound and only run you 4k brand new.

Or, if you didn't mind used, something that would sound very similar would be the original Mythos One's paired with some SB-1000's would only run you in the neighborhood of 2k or so, but it would take some patience to find them.
Actually, the OP should be looking at the Triton Series speakers from Golden Ear. Very similar in design to the Mythos ... As stated, the sound will have a different character due to the folded ribbon tweeter. Some swear by that technology, others prefer more conventional designs. Only your ears can make that determination.

The equivalent GE speaker to the 5k Def Tech is the Triton One. The Triton Three will be significantly cheaper (it's the equivalent of the STS in the Def Tech line). Both of these have built-in powered subs.

The Triton Fives should be out this month. They are non-powered, but have already gotten rave reviews at 2K for the pair. They have some trickle down technology gleaned from the Triton One build effort. Bottom line, have a listen to the GE speakers as well as the STS. Can't go wrong with either choice!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the advice. I am in the process of selling some old infinity speakers locally along with an old vintage amp to help fund my next purchase. Less to move into the new home as well. Unfortunantly BestBuy is my only option locally. I just tried to contact the other audio shops here in town and they closed their business due to competition. So looks like I would have to talk bestbuy into carrying the STS in the store to give it a listen.

The golden ear speakers are a no go as far as listening due to the audio shop that normally sells them being out of business. :(

I appreciate all the advice here. I guess I will just wait until after I move here in a week and decide how I am going to spend my cash. I have a emotiva 3 channel 300w RMS amp, so the Triton Fives may be an option if they sound anywhere near as nice as the Def Tech's that I listened to...

$2,000 is much easier to swallow than $5,000 at this point. Already spending $30,000 to close on my home, so any savings is a good thing.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I am in the process of selling some old infinity speakers locally along with an old vintage amp to help fund my next purchase. Less to move into the new home as well. Unfortunantly BestBuy is my only option locally. I just tried to contact the other audio shops here in town and they closed their business due to competition. So looks like I would have to talk bestbuy into carrying the STS in the store to give it a listen.

The golden ear speakers are a no go as far as listening due to the audio shop that normally sells them being out of business. :(

I appreciate all the advice here. I guess I will just wait until after I move here in a week and decide how I am going to spend my cash. I have a emotiva 3 channel 300w RMS amp, so the Triton Fives may be an option if they sound anywhere near as nice as the Def Tech's that I listened to...

$2,000 is much easier to swallow than $5,000 at this point. Already spending $30,000 to close on my home, so any savings is a good thing.
You might contact Golden Ear to see if they can get you a demo somewhere in your area. Also, there is a thread on this forum for people looking for a demo from members. You might try posting there and see if you can get lucky with either speaker.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You might contact Golden Ear to see if they can get you a demo somewhere in your area. Also, there is a thread on this forum for people looking for a demo from members. You might try posting there and see if you can get lucky with either speaker.
As several people have mentioned, I really think you should look into the GoldenEar if you like DefTech. What City do you live in? The Triton 5s w/o sub is right at that 2K range. My suggestion is skip the Triton 3s and spend a little extra for the Triton 2s if you want an integrated Sub. There might be another dealer in your area.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts