AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a dealer I bought my Paradigm Monitor 7's and Integra receiver from more than a decade ago. Just wanted to see what they had now and listen to some speakers. They had Focal Aria 926,All the Golden ear Triton's except the 5's. Martin Logan Electromotion Esl's,which I own. Wasn't interested in the Paradigms. I listened to the 926's,nice sound,great imaging,tight bass. I was happy that they had the Esl's so I could do a direct comparison. The receiver was a cambridge with cambridge cd player. We put on the Esl's and instantly they sound was much better. The guy working there had a pair of Focal electra 1038 BE,9k.. He even said the Esl's sounded better than the Aria's 926. Everything sounded bigger and open. Next was the Triton 2's.. They already lost cause I can't get over the looks.. They sounded really good,smooth treble,nice mid range,good all around speaker. Then we threw on the Esl's again,and the same thing happened,they just sounded better,clearer smooth,great 3D sound stage. I'm convinced a conventional speaker just can't match it. Of course,we all know of the small sweet spot. I'm usually alone or with one other person. I pretty much confirmed I have the right speakers for me. I know there are going to be guys on here that will destroy me for my opinion,but it is what it is. :kiss:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes,but you never know til you get out there and hear them side by side. I just don't think a box speaker is going to touch the Esl in terms of clarity and speed. The image is really cool on these. Having said that,the other speakers sounded really good too,just sounded smaller,if that makes sense..

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hi neighbor! Just curious where you went. That sounds like Stereoland in Eden Prairie. But, they didn't have Focal the last time I looked.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct Karls.. I was baffled at 1st,because I didn't know they moved. My gps took me on a wild goose chase..lol Very nice guys. I never heard Focal's before,so I had to go hear them. Honestly on the sound of the focal's and Trittons,I could have flipped a coin. Having said that,the focal's just look quality.. But the Esl's just sounded sooo good. So it makes me glad I picked them. If your the type of guy that likes a pin point image right in front of you,the logans probably aren't for you. I liked the sound of all those speakers tho.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Ha! Yes. They moved just a year or so ago. I fell in love with Focal years ago. Listening to the 800 series and some Be's. I also fell in love with Cambridge. At Stereoland. Just too much $$$ for me at the moment. :(

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I've had my ML reQuests since 1998, and not gone looking for speakers since then.

I did upgrade the electronics in front of them three years ago.

Now I am forever damned by Sighted Bias and Unmatched Levels and enjoying every minute of it.

As for 'small sweet spot', there is a Sweetest Spot (really, a line), but I don't see how any stereo presentation could not have one as any imbalance in the distance of the ear from the speaker upsets the phase of the direct sound.

Most of the time I'm not there anyway, but sure don't feel slighted.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'm still running some old Infinity SL towers. Had a full set of Polk Monitors prior. I gave them away. Looking at upgrading now but have been all over listening. I would love to go higher budget but we are redoing some of our house this Spring (floors, windows etc). So, I need to

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I pretty much confirmed I have the right speakers for me. I know there are going to be guys on here that will destroy me for my opinion,but it is what it is. :kiss:
Well, that's not unexpected :) You're a panel guy (as I am). You either love them or don't. And what serves a person for amazing stereo reproduction, may not be the best choice for movies in a multi-channel system. Either because of the room size (and space needed around each speaker) or the expense (ESLs and Planar speakers aren't cheap, especially ESLs). Also, panels don't play well with conventional speakers, so one is usually better served going all conventional or all panels in a multi-channel setup.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Would seriously love to own ESLs (or most any Martin Logan or Magnepan) panels but they are out of my price range and too large and unwieldy for the room I use. That being said, I am very happy indeed to "settle" for Motion 12s, Motion 8, and Motion 2 surrounds!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
1. Would seriously love to own ESLs (or most any Martin Logan or Magnepan) panels but they are out of my price range

2. and too large and unwieldy for the room I use.
Buy used

You'll get used to it

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, that's not unexpected :) You're a panel guy (as I am). You either love them or don't. And what serves a person for amazing stereo reproduction, may not be the best choice for movies in a multi-channel system. Either because of the room size (and space needed around each speaker) or the expense (ESLs and Planar speakers aren't cheap, especially ESLs). Also, panels don't play well with conventional speakers, so one is usually better served going all conventional or all panels in a multi-channel setup.
Honestly,I think they sound incredible for home theater. I am running energy v-s dipole/bipole for surrounds and its sounds excellent. I have them in dipole mode. I'm definitely a panel guy then. I could however live with other speakers also. I don't think I'm that hard to please tho.. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts