AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
What's the minumum recommended distance from my listening position to the wall behind me?
I have conflicting sources, first claims the distance should not be less than 3m:
http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker-placement-boundary-interference/
second one says that 0.6m is enough:
http://www.aperionaudio.com/blog/2-channel-stereo-speaker-placement
What you don't want is to be within the zone where low frequencies reflected off the wall will meet the original wave 180 degrees out of phase, causing a cancellation notch. In the 20Hz to 120Hz bandwidth that means between 2.3 and 14 feet, so you should be either very close to or very far from the wall. If that's not possible you can get around the issue by placing subs in back of the LP as well as in front, but if you don't have subs that's obviously not an option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you don't want is to be within the zone where low frequencies reflected off the wall will meet the original wave 180 degrees out of phase, causing a cancellation notch. In the 20Hz to 120Hz bandwidth that means between 2.3 and 14 feet, so you should be either very close to or very far from the wall. If that's not possible you can get around the issue by placing subs in back of the LP as well as in front, but if you don't have subs that's obviously not an option.
Are you trying to say that if I want the best sound I shouldn't sit anywhere between 2.3 to 14 feet from wall behind me?

Is that also the rule for the back wall to speaker distance? I mean the wall behind the speakers.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Are you trying to say that if I want the best sound I shouldn't sit anywhere between 2.3 to 14 feet from wall behind me?
Yes.
Is that also the rule for the back wall to speaker distance? I mean the wall behind the speakers.
No, as they don't have to deal with low frequency reflections. That's why placing subs in back of the LP helps if the LP is in the no-go zone.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
If you play music and walk around the room, you will discover that bass collects in the corners and near the walls. So, those are areas where you will have exaggerated bass.

Next, we tend to do the best we can in the room we have. If that means you must sit next to the wall, the if you must you must.

The guideline I have heard is that you want to be 2/3rds back from the front wall, or from the front of the speakers. So if the room is 30ft, then you sit at 20ft. Though I guess the full rule is that you either sit at 2/3rds from the front or 1/3rd from the front. But the underlying message of that rule is to tell you NOT to sit at the wall or in the center.

Beyond such a general guidelines, there isn't much any one can say without A LOT more detail and even more ideally photographs of the room.

What are the room dimensions?

What type of room is this; a living room, a family room, a dedicated Home Cinema? How is the room furnished?

How many windows?

Carpets?

Curtains?

Ceiling Tile?

Modern bare minimalist or soft and old fashioned?

Existing or plans for Acoustic Treatments?

In these details are the answers to your questions. In a living room, it could be difficult to place the prime seating in the optimal position for listening. Equally, is a dedicated Home Cinema room, the seating can be more flexible relative to placement.

Also the two links you reference seem to me to be more about placing the speaker relative to the wall behind the speaker. What I hear you saying, is where do you place YOU in the room? That is a very different question.

So, you need to clear that up, are we talking about the speakers relative to the wall behind the speakers, or are we talking about the placement of the Prime Seating area relative to the speakers and within the room? Those, again, are two very different question.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm talking about wall behind listening position and the recommended distance from it to the listener. The wall that is behind you when you listen to music.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I'm talking about wall behind listening position and the recommended distance from it to the listener. The wall that is behind you when you listen to music.
So am I. OTOH the same rule applies to the distance to the wall in back of the speakers with regard to their placement.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Yes, but the links your provide are not to listening position, but rather the speaker position, which is why I was confused.

Generally, though moderated by circumstance, not on the wall and not in the center. Beyond that, you simply have to use your best judgement. More likely than guidelines, circumstance will dictate what can be done in you room.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, but the links your provide are not to listening position, but rather the speaker position, which is why I was confused.

Generally, though moderated by circumstance, not on the wall and not in the center. Beyond that, you simply have to use your best judgement. More likely than guidelines, circumstance will dictate what can be done in you room.

Steve/bluewizard
check them again, yes they have stuff written about the wall behind the speakers but also about the wall behind the listener.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
check them again, yes they have stuff written about the wall behind the speakers but also about the wall behind the listener.
Keep in mind, no matter where you sit in a room, you are always at 1/4 wave-length of some frequency.

I still say circumstance in the room are going to be more the deciding factor on where you can or can't sit in the room.

Steve/bluewizard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts