AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way or formula to workout speaker listening distances and angles ? In other words say i wanted my front left and right speakers at a 45 degree angle (THX) with a distance of 10.5 feet from my central listening position then how far apart would the front left and right speakers be ?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

· Registered
249 Posts
I'm not sure what the 10.5' refers to, but 45° is easy.

For a 45° angle to each speaker:

The distance between seating position and the midpoint is half the distance between left and right. If your listening position is 10.5' from the midpoint, the speakers need to be 21' apart. If the speakers are 10.5' apart, your listening position needs to be 5.25' from the midpoint between the speakers.

If you want a seat that's 10.5' from each speaker, the speakers are slightly more than 1.4 times that distance apart. 10.5' X 1.4 = 14.7' apart (call it 15'). That multiplier is really the square root of 2 (1.41421...), but 1.4 is a plenty good approximation for this purpose.

· Registered
1,244 Posts
For 45 degrees between the speakers and listener:

Distance between Speakers * 1.2 = seating distance

Conversely

Spread between speakers = seating distance * .83

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.