AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was listening to the Stereophile Editor's Choice CD, track 3 (Mozart-Flute Concerto), the editor, John Atinkson, says "If you set your volume control so that the opening of the Mozart Flute Quartet generates a peak of 91dB at your listening position, the playback level for the chamber music tracks on this CD will be within a couple of dB of the same as that heard live from the mike positions."

So, I got my Radio Schack SPL meter and turned up the volume until it read 91dB (Response-Fast/Weighting-C). Now that is pretty loud! I tried it first on the Pioneer Elite 49TXi and it went up to +6 (the maximum is +12). I then tried on the PS Audio HCA-2/PCA-2 amp/pre-amp and it went up to 91 (it goes up to 100 max). So, not a lot of power left in both cases. The speakers are ML (Martin Logan) Clarity.

Now I often go to classical music/opera concerts and unless I'm sitting way up front I never hear the music as loud as I was playing it.

A couple of questions:

(1) If I want to play music at home at live levels, is using this CD track a good reference ?

(2) If (1) is yes, are both of my amplifiers underpowered ? Should I look for more power?

(3) I usually listen to music set at 80dB level measured using the meter on a -20dBFS Pink noise level. Is that a good reference ? I read that listening to anything over 80dB level for a sustained time may hurt your hearing.

:confused:

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
Quote:
...the playback level for the chamber music tracks on this CD will be within a couple of dB of the same as that heard live from the mike positions."....
it may be the correct level at "the mike positions"...... but you may have noticed that no one sits that close to the orchestra/chamber group in a concert hall.....

the mike positions are usually much closer than the actual first row of the concert hall......

and since the spl reading will drop dramitically as distance increases, you will never hear that level of sound on a mozart flute concerto.... and that level of sound would be totally inappropriate for mozart (sorry - my music degree coming out here...:D )

cheers!

:)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually what puzzled me was that he also said "rather than use microphone stands, which would have interfered with the audience's view of the stage, I hung the mikes from the 35'-high ceiling of the small, live hall, using 70-80' of monofilament fishing line fastened to the balcony banisters at the back of the hall to adjust their positions."

So the mikes were at the back of the hall :confused:

Here is the article-Track 3 .

·
Registered
503 Posts
Also I believe with a line source like your martin logan's, the SPL doesn't drop as drastically with distance as it does regular cone/dome speakers so that could have something to do with it.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Quote:
Also I believe with a line source like your martin logan's, the SPL doesn't drop as drastically with distance as it does regular cone/dome speakers so that could have something to do with it.
Not so. There's a basic law of physics here and Martin Logan has not figured out how to violate the laws of physics yet.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sergiohm
... I hung the mikes from the 35'-high ceiling of the small, live hall, using 70-80' of monofilament fishing line fastened to the balcony banisters at the back of the hall to adjust their positions."

So the mikes were at the back of the hall :confused:
I interpret this as meaning that the mikes were over the stage, but suspended from fishing line on pulleys so that they could be raised or lowered from back of the hall.

- Terry

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Montlick
I interpret this as meaning that the mikes were over the stage, but suspended from fishing line on pulleys so that they could be raised or lowered from back of the hall.

- Terry
Yeah re-reading it, it makes sense to me. Then tubeguy does have a good point, it is very loud but because it is over the players.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.