AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to listen to radio while I'm working. I spend most of the day in a cubicle in a large office building near windows surrounded by computers, monitors, and printers. I have access to plenty of music, but a lot of times would rather listen to talk radio while I'm working. I would love to be able to listen to 580 and 670 on the AM dial with reasonably clear reception. I don't want it to have a tape deck or CD player.

A year ago I bought a cheap Optimus tape/radio at Radio Shack. It does alright with FM, but AM is very difficult. I've tried moving it to every corner of my cubicle and every angle along with moving the antennae around. I can just barely get AM 670 well enough so that it's not annoying most of the time, and I can't get AM 580 tuned in hardly at all.

I want to buy a new radio for under $200 that has good reception, an AC adaptor, and a headphone jack. Can someone help point me in the right direction? I've tried searching on the internet, but I'm lost. Here are some models that I've found so far:

GE 7-2887 Superadio III

kaitousa.com/radios.htm

KAITO KA105

KAITO KA1102

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Could it be that no stadard radio can make up for the fact that the waves might not be getting to me?

I hadn't thought of Sirius. I would like to avoid the $13/month satellite subscription, but that might be the way to go. I don't know much about it, but if that will work in the building it would probably be worth the money.

Are there any devices that will use the building's electrical system as an antennae? I think I remember seeing something like that once.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
You don't have to receive Sirius over the air. If you buy a subscription you also get to receive the music streams over the net. All you need is a fast connection and you can listen to satellite radio under Cheyenne Mountain.

I'm doing it now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Tivoli looks like a great choice. I might go with that.

LLR,

I've read a lot of bad reviews for that ccradio. Have you tried it?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I saw that Boston Acoustic radio in Best Buy this weekend. Maybe I was expecting too much but it had trouble getting the 3 radio stations I listen to in the Washing/Baltimore area.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Hello,

Computers, the monitors, the switching power supplies emit a lot of trash that affect the quality of AM signals. Another issue is the building. Many office buildings are constructed in a way that is not "radio friendly". All that grounded metal tends to block many, many stations.

Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

·
Registered
815 Posts
I just use streaming radio. Never heard a complaint.(work for Boeing) Cant pick up am or fm signal in the building here except for some fuzzy sounding stuff. Windows Media Player 9 gives you tons of choices. Same with Live365. I even found a 24hr Zep station! :D

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
The bottom of the AM band is about the noisiest radio band there is. If you want to hear approaching lightning storms, tune between stations at the bottom of the band.

No matter how sensitive a radio is, without a signal above the noise, all you'll get is louder noise. You need to connect an antenna outside the building to the radio.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.