AVS Forum banner

2361 - 2380 of 4718 Posts

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
My understanding is that the 5.1 surround mix on the DVD-A and the SACD are the same Elliot Scheiner mix. However, the SACD stereo mix by Steve Hoffman is supposed to be better than whoever did the stereo mix on the DVD-audio.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/america-homecoming-dvd-a-sacd.3966/
Thanks kokishin :)

On the upside, if you decide to keep America, it’s only stereo but sounds pretty good. Homecoming appears to be running around $80-$90. Personally, I only like 3 or so songs on this one and as great as it sounds I’d likely pass at that price. To each his own though. AF had a run on a bunch of these multi channel discs a few years ago, as I recall I bought about 8 of them over like 6 months. Most were limited runs, so supply/demand isn’t your friend for some at this point.

Listening to now from AF.... Jeff Beck Group on SACD in 4.0
Thanks Red :)

DVD-A available for $80 but just now ordered a New AF SACD for $52.99 + $3 shipping :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Reactions: Matt2026

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
I'll be honest, I didn't notice that much difference in the mix. I only listened to Hey Nineteen and Babylon Sisters that closely, and I did notice that one of them seem to have some more "discrete" effects than the DTS one. I think most people would be very happy with either. I'm no Golden Ear, and I've always had problems noticing subtle differences in sound, or at least quantifying them when I do. I'm not sure that it's worth having both, but I just bought one "reasonably" priced one, that I could pay for by selling the DTS one. I'm probably going keep both, as I come from a family of pack rats(except my brother, that gene seems to have bypassed him). There is currently one on ebay that just dropped $5 to $35 plus $4 shipping if anyone else is interested in making the experiment. It's actually the listing I stole the below image from for my original post.:D

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
ETA: Pretty faithful renditions of their hits(about 1/3 of the way through) Mid bass is a bit muddy, good otherwise.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Van Morrison - Moondance Blu-ray Audio in 5.1 Dolby TrueHD.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts

·
Registered
14,656 Posts
Loggins and Messina - Full Sail AF SACD
America - Homecoming AF SACD

The Full Sail quad mix is very nice. But the Homecoming 5.1 mix is on another level IMO. What an excellent 5.1 mix! My only complaint would be that the album is too short.

Bill

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I did, and on the first track I could definitely hear and see my Rythmik subwoofer working.
Thanks! You're the first one to actually check the sub output. I appreciate that. It's been a while since I had this disc out and I think it's in a box now, but I'll dig for it and check again. Vocalion just has one Mancini/Severinson SACD right? It's very strange because I have the CD on this and it sounds much fuller and clearer than the SACD. It's that rich and sparkling late 50s/early 60s RCA Living Stereo kind of sound and the SACD has almost nothing below 80Hz- just a tiny bit right at the edge of the crossover. I'm using an Oppo BD-103D to play it on and my crossover is at 80Hz. I don't have any other SACD players right now, so I hope it isn't a problem with the deck. In any case, only Vocalion discs seem to have the problem. Every other SACD I play is fine.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Tonight I got the Inside The Music: New Age disc in the mail and listened to it. Great sound on most tracks and a decent surround mix, but the music is as limp as a dishrag... that hootie hoot Peruvian pan flute synth stuff with programmed electronic drums. Blech!

But I also got a DVD of Johnny "Guitar" Watson live in 1993 and that was fantastic. It had a really good 5.1 mix and the energy level of the band was through the roof. Johnny Guitar Watson is one of the most under appreciated musicians I have ever heard. He was Frank Zappa's favorite guitarist and a lot of rappers cited him as a big influence. If you like funk blues, check it out. He doesn't play his guitar as much as I'd like, but the funk groove more than makes up for it.

·
Registered
14,656 Posts
In any case, only Vocalion discs seem to have the problem.
It would be helpful if you listed all the Dutton Vocalion surround SACDs that you claim have no sub output. You've made this claim numerous times but I've yet to see an exact list of all the titles. By exact I mean the artist, title and DV product number. If you do that then those here in this thread can test the SACDs that you claim have this issue. If no one here on AVS have any of the listed SACDs I'll gladly post over at the QQ forum and see who does. Then we can put this issue to rest whether it's an issue with your system or the SACDs.

Let me provide an example...

Artist - Henry Mancini & Doc Severinsen
Title - Brass, Ivory and Strings & Brass on Ivory
Product number - CDLK4570

What setting do you have the "SACD Output" set to in the Audio Output Setup section of the 103Ds menu? Is it set to Auto, PCM or DSD?

Bill

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
@Bill Mac

Please keep in mind that no good deed goes unpunished. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
I haven't played anything this loudly in a while. Too much fun!:D:eek::cool:

Lights are occasionally flickering for a little light show!:D

2361 - 2380 of 4718 Posts