AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 4922 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
XTC's Skylarking which I received over the weekend.

And back to the Velvet Underground's Loaded for yet another spin. The multi-channel mix on Loaded is so clean and well-defined. It's easily in my top five of surround discs.

(I often why Loaded doesn't get more love on this forum, but I guess it's because you have to buy the box set to get the 5.1 DVD. And the price has moved up to well over a hundred bucks...and appears to be hard to acquire.)

It's the same reason that limited the 5.1 of Aqualung and Quadrophenia when they first came out, even though both are a lot more popular than Loaded. And it's not even close to being the most popular VU album which makes the lack of availability even more puzzling. If the 5.1 came out in a cheaper package, a lot of us would grab it in a second.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Just arrived today and enjoying the first listen:

Fire Garden: Far and Near (DVDV 5.1)
Cubs / Indians game
and a growler of El Nino double IPA (ABV 7.2)

·
Registered
801 Posts
I gave a quick listen to the new 5.1 Skylarking. I like the surround mix, but I'm not fond of the overall sound of this album; it
sounds a little thin and harsh to me. I find myself listening at a lower volume than normal. It's been 20 years since I last listened to the album, but I imagine that's how original release sounds (perhaps a Todd Rundgren decision).

But I do like the songs on this album. If you're okay with the sound of the original, I'd say the 5.1 release is worth purchasing. And most other people seem to like the sound of this album; I may be in the minority.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink (2011 surround mix by Steven Wilson)

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
King Crimson - Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair, Absent Lovers and whatever else I can find. I don't know how much there is in the new box set, but I'm planning on a Steven Wilson overdose this weekend. :D

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Ah, now this is better, Opeth: Damnation on DVDV 5.1 An outstanding mix and a couple glasses of Sasquatch Ale (ABV 8.5) from the local brewer didn't hurt.

21 - 40 of 4922 Posts