AVS Forum banner

4561 - 4580 of 4715 Posts

·
Registered
14,655 Posts
Nice 5.1 mix of a great album! Moondance is the only Blu-ray in my collection that has audible pops between tracks. Did you not that as well?

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,745 Posts
Nice 5.1 mix of a great album! Moondance is the only Blu-ray in my collection that has audible pops between tracks. Did you not that as well?

Bill
I didn't notice it, but I have a fairly high noise floor, and I wasn't concentrating on the music, although as loud as I was playing it, I should have noticed.:eek:

I notice that the disk as posted by drh3b says "Stereo" :confused:
I think it's just based on the cover of the original LP.

For high-resolution audio fans, this five disc release includes a Blu-Ray Audio disc with 48K 24 bit PCM stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound audio of the original album (no video), mixed by original engineer Elliot Scheiner, who also oversaw the new re-mastering of the release.
https://www.hiresedition.com/review/classic-rock/van-morrison-moondance.html

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Bill
Just check my rip of the bluray and I don't hear any pops ??

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Very nice setup Matt2026. Do I spy some Morph the Cat on the TV? :cool:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Beck- Sea Change BD-A
Beck- Guero DVD-A

BTW, anyone with Guero have problems with the video branching? It locks up my Cambridge CXU if I try to do anything other than play it straight through via its basic programming.
Musically it’s totally different. Sea Change is melancholy, to say the least. Guero is wild, much more musically diverse and upbeat. More like his earlier work.
I don’t think the mix is as good as Sea Change, but it’s another winner by Elliot Scheiner. It’s also dirt cheap. I just got it for $7 shipped. :eek:
Beck ‎– Guero
Label: Interscope Records ‎– B0004365-00
Format: CD DVD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Multichannel All Media, Album
Released: 29 Mar 2005
Genre: Rock
Style: Alternative Rock

Just got this in the mail today. No problems with my player although I haven’t done much switching around. Fun album and enjoying it quite a bit even though it wasn’t as cheap as you got it for but well worth what I paid for it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,745 Posts

Reactions: morgiastic

·
Registered
402 Posts

Bill
Bill -

I listened to this entire BluRay last night (not a ripped copy) and noticed no pops or clicks between tracks. I have my Oppo set to bitstream out over HDMI into a Denon AVR-X5200. I wonder if what you are hearing is a reclocking/syncing issue within your system?

This album is a timeless classic. While listening, I found it difficult to believe it was recorded in 1969 - it sounds so pristine and fresh.

Andre'

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
drh3b Post #4561

Bill
I didn't notice it, but I have a fairly high noise floor, and I wasn't concentrating on the music, although as loud as I was playing it, I should have noticed.:eek:

I think it's just based on the cover of the original LP.

https://www.hiresedition.com/review/classic-rock/van-morrison-moondance.html
Just check my rip of the bluray and I don't hear any pops ??
Bill -

I listened to this entire BluRay last night (not a ripped copy) and noticed no pops or clicks between tracks. I have my Oppo set to bitstream out over HDMI into a Denon AVR-X5200. I wonder if what you are hearing is a reclocking/syncing issue within your system?

This album is a timeless classic. While listening, I found it difficult to believe it was recorded in 1969 - it sounds so pristine and fresh.

Andre'
I've been resisting... resolve finally went down the drain:eek: Having seen him at The Last Waltz didn't help in my resistance holding:eek: I just ordered the only sealed copy I could find; "Factory sealed. Remainder stock punch hole to bar code."

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Well I'll be danged, the Moondance Deluxe Edition went OOP.

I've had this one since 2013 and I don't think I've yet listened to discs 2-4 with all the outtakes, redos, and alternate mixes. 16 takes of Into the Mystic?

·
Registered
8,198 Posts

I've had this one since 2013 and I don't think I've yet listened to discs 2-4 with all the outtakes, redos, and alternate mixes. 16 takes of Into the Mystic?
Yeah, My interest lies mainly with the Blu-ray ;)

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Beck ‎– Guero
Label: Interscope Records ‎– B0004365-00
Format: CD DVD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, Multichannel All Media, Album
Released: 29 Mar 2005
Genre: Rock
Style: Alternative Rock

Just got this in the mail today. No problems with my player although I haven’t done much switching around. Fun album and enjoying it quite a bit even though it wasn’t as cheap as you got it for but well worth what I paid for it.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I got it on Amazon sellers where its still going for $7.50 shipped. :(

Did you get any info on how to do the video branching? All I got was this sticker which doesn't explain much. I can change the video angle on my player but it doesn't seem to do anything. From the info I read online the video mixes are supposedly different between the DVD-A and DVD-V but I haven't played around with it. I have listened again- it’s a great mix. :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Sorry, I should have mentioned I got it on Amazon sellers where its still going for $7.50 shipped. :(

Did you get any info on how to do the video branching? All I got was this sticker which doesn't explain much. I can change the video angle on my player but it doesn't seem to do anything. From the info I read online the video mixes are supposedly different between the DVD-A and DVD-V but I haven't played around with it. I have listened again- it’s a great mix. :)

It was cheap enough that I'm not worrying about it. Yes the DVD-A and DVD-V have different audio mixes and images. As far as the video branching I think it has to do with the images that play along with the music. They are chosen randomly each time the album is played back.

Reactions: ti-triodes

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
It was cheap enough that I'm not worrying about it. Yes the DVD-A and DVD-V have different audio mixes and images. As far as the video branching I think it has to do with the images that play along with the music. They are chosen randomly each time the album is played back.

I did some playing around with the disc on 3 different players. All 3 players had the same problem. It plays fine on DVD-V but has some problems on the DVD-A visual mix. It keeps freezing when a song ends. The regular DVD-A video feed worked fine. I got the angle to work on both DVD-V and DVD-A.

Supposedly, changing the subtitles switches the video feed. There are also some Easter eggs. Check the Discogs listing if you're interested how to access them.

It looks like there were some authoring errors due to the complexity of the video branching. There were a bunch of complaints about it when it came out but I could never find out if it was ever fixed. YMMV.

It really doesn't bother me in the long run. $7.50 for a great sounding mix is well worth it. I’ll probably never watch the vids again anyway unless I start dropping acid. :D

·
Premium Member
4,745 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

This is one of the best surround releases because of all those alternate takes, demos, etc., even though I also have not listened to them much if at all. The sad thing about this release is that it was done against Van Morrison's wishes and without his involvement at all, according to some article I read online where he was quoted. I do hope they release more of his albums like this but after 7 years since the last one, I'm not holding my breath. Just the blu-ray treatment itself deserves special kudos, and I do like the mix although I haven't listened to it in years.

4561 - 4580 of 4715 Posts