AVS Forum banner

4581 - 4600 of 4870 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
...The sad thing about this release is that it was done against Van Morrison's wishes and without his involvement at all, according to some article I read online where he was quoted. I do hope they release more of his albums like this but after 7 years since the last one, I'm not holding my breath...
Yea I don't get the big hang up with artists like Van Morrison and Paul Simon who are so against releasing any of their catalog in surround.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
So who actually owns the rights to their music? The artist or the label?
Don't know the answer, but at their age, I would hope they owned the rights. If not, they should have a conversation with Metallica.....or Dave Ramsey. ;)

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
4,955 Posts
Yea I don't get the big hang up with artists like Van Morrison and Paul Simon who are so against releasing any of their catalog in surround.
Yeah, it's annoying. I do have a quad copy of "Bridge over Troubled Water", it's not the best quad release in the world, but it's solid, and I'd love a blu ray or SACD release of it.
Come on, Paul!

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts

Reactions: bguzman

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Chicago II ‎– Chicago
Label: Rhino Records (2) ‎– 8122 73841-9
Format: DVD, Album, Reissue, DVD-Audio, Multichannel
Released: 2003
Genre:Jazz, Rock
Style: Classic Rock, Jazz-Rock

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Beck ‎– Sea Change
Label: DGC ‎– B0001840-19
Format: DVD, DVD-Audio, Album, Multichannel
Released: 16 Dec 2003
Genre: Rock
Style: Alternative Rock, Folk Rock

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
The Beach Boys - Surf's Up, 4.0 SACD (AP). Don't know anything about this other than it's clearly a Quad mix. The packaging doesn't say it's multi-channel and haven't been able to find anything out about it. Pretty front focussed with the rears providing mostly support and the occasional ambient noise. Quality Beach Boys album as they enter maturity, the Surf's Up title in ironic contrast to the cover art of a beaten down Don Quixote type figure.
Morgan

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Steely Dan ‎– Two Against Nature
Label: Giant Records ‎– 7599-24719-9
Format: DVD, DVD-Audio, Album, Reissue
Released: 2002
Genre: Jazz, Rock, Pop
Style: Pop Rock, Fusion

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Porcupine Tree

Fear Of A Blank Planet

Attachments

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
ONCE WERE
. BROTHERS

(Blu-ray 5.1 DTS-HD MA)

I read some mixed reviews and bought this anyway. I loved it. From their beginning to ending at my favorite concert "The Last Waltz", the last time they were on stage together.

It was great seeing a bit of the audience but couldn't pick anyone out. It was sad at times...

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
ONCE WERE
. BROTHERS

(Blu-ray 5.1 DTS-HD MA)

I read some mixed reviews and bought this anyway. I loved it. From their beginning to ending at my favorite concert "The Last Waltz", the last time they were on stage together.

It was great seeing a bit of the audience but couldn't pick anyone out. It was sad at times...
Have it on my DVR, haven't watched it yet.
Morgan

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts

Reactions: Tornado Red

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Robert Cray - Time Will Tell DVD-A

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
ONCE WERE
. BROTHERS

(Blu-ray 5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Does this deal mostly with Robbie Robertsons POV or is it the whole band? I was interested in this but there was a bit of bad blood with these guys, especially about “The Last Waltz”. Unfortunately there are only 2 guys left. :(

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
Does this deal mostly with Robbie Robertsons POV or is it the whole band? I was interested in this but there was a bit of bad blood with these guys, especially about “The Last Waltz”. Unfortunately there are only 2 guys left. :(
I didn't feel like it was just about Robertson, that said, he was a/the driving force. He started writing songs as a teenager and had the drive to be successful. I got to see his beginnings and the coming about of the band and Dylan's part in things. A bit Rock history and his story... Without him I doubt there would have been a band made up of the other 4 but that's really impossible to say what would have happened to them.

It cost me $18 so no big deal if it had been lopsided but I can see where he was coming from. Drugs got in the way along the line and that seemed to be the real killer. He didn't share co-writing credits with some one who helped arrange a song and that caused upset. He said they got credit as an arranger because that's what they were.

I didn't go into it taking sides, there's always 2 sides. that said, without the alcohol and drugs they might all still be here. He may have felt bad that his "brothers" took the drug route... Ever know someone who was drunk or high who seemed to take it personally and got upset if you didn't want to join in? Maybe there was a bit of that dynamic, but I wasn't there so I can't say. One of them almost killed Robbie's wife while driving drunk...

In any case I'm glad I watched it. In my eyes, he earned his success and without him I wouldn't have gotten to hear a lot of great music or see this story or be at a concert titled "The Last Waltz".

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/once_were_brothers_robbie_robertson_and_the_band_2019

"Critics Consensus
Once Were Brothers my(sic) frustrate Band fans looking for a less narrowly focused overview, but the group's music and history remain as engrossing as ever."

·
Registered
404 Posts
To be fair, this isn't advertised as a documentary solely about The Band but promoted as "A confessional, cautionary, and occasionally humorous tale of Robbie Robertson's young life and the creation of one of the most enduring groups in the history music, The Band". It shouldn't be a surprise this movie focuses on Robbie and his perspectives, especially knowing his previous collaborative efforts working with the director, Martin Scorsese

4581 - 4600 of 4870 Posts