AVS Forum banner

4601 - 4620 of 4720 Posts

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
VAN MORRISON MOONDANCE

(Blu-ray Audio 192 kHz/24 Bit High Resolution 5.1)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Reactions: Matt2026

·
Registered
8,236 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I didn't feel like it was just about Robertson, that said, he was a/the driving force. He started writing songs as a teenager and had the drive to be successful. I got to see his beginnings and the coming about of the band and Dylan's part in things. A bit Rock history and his story... Without him I doubt there would have been a band made up of the other 4 but that's really impossible to say what would have happened to them.

It cost me $18 so no big deal if it had been lopsided but I can see where he was coming from. Drugs got in the way along the line and that seemed to be the real killer. He didn't share co-writing credits with some one who helped arrange a song and that caused upset. He said they got credit as an arranger because that's what they were.

I didn't go into it taking sides, there's always 2 sides. that said, without the alcohol and drugs they might all still be here. He may have felt bad that his "brothers" took the drug route... Ever know someone who was drunk or high who seemed to take it personally and got upset if you didn't want to join in? Maybe there was a bit of that dynamic, but I wasn't there so I can't say. One of them almost killed Robbie's wife while driving drunk...

In any case I'm glad I watched it. In my eyes, he earned his success and without him I wouldn't have gotten to hear a lot of great music or see this story or be at a concert titled "The Last Waltz".

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/once_were_brothers_robbie_robertson_and_the_band_2019

"Critics Consensus
Once Were Brothers my(sic) frustrate Band fans looking for a less narrowly focused overview, but the group's music and history remain as engrossing as ever."
To be fair, this isn't advertised as a documentary solely about The Band but promoted as "A confessional, cautionary, and occasionally humorous tale of Robbie Robertson's young life and the creation of one of the most enduring groups in the history music, The Band". It shouldn't be a surprise this movie focuses on Robbie and his perspectives, especially knowing his previous collaborative efforts working with the director, Martin Scorsese

Thanks guys. I also read some of the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. I figured it would be a bit self serving on Robbies part. I just hope he didn't cross over the line and denigrate anyone who isn't alive to defend themselves.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yea I don't get the big hang up with artists like Van Morrison and Paul Simon who are so against releasing any of their catalog in surround.
Seriously, get over it already guys... I think Morrison was unhappy about all the other gems that were released: the demos, alternate takes, etc. Love hearing those though.

So who actually owns the rights to their music? The artist or the label?
Stupid labels! It's nice how the Beatles and some other artists were able to finally get their back catalogs. For the Beatles, it was an interesting story that I've since forgotten involving Michael Jackson, who owned the rights for some time.

Yeah, it's annoying. I do have a quad copy of "Bridge over Troubled Water", it's not the best quad release in the world, but it's solid, and I'd love a blu ray or SACD release of it.
Come on, Paul!
Yeah, would love to have a quad S&G album!

Beck ‎– Sea Change
Label: DGC ‎– B0001840-19
Format: DVD, DVD-Audio, Album, Multichannel
Released: 16 Dec 2003
Genre: Rock
Style: Alternative Rock, Folk Rock
This one is one of those cool albums that got released in SACD, DVD Audio and Blu-ray. I like the mix but the music puts me to sleep every time after a couple tracks, not because it's boring per se but just too mellow.

The Beach Boys - Surf's Up, 4.0 SACD (AP). Don't know anything about this other than it's clearly a Quad mix. The packaging doesn't say it's multi-channel and haven't been able to find anything out about it. Pretty front focussed with the rears providing mostly support and the occasional ambient noise. Quality Beach Boys album as they enter maturity, the Surf's Up title in ironic contrast to the cover art of a beaten down Don Quixote type figure.
Morgan
Nice, I want now! I have Pet Sounds on DVD-A and can't remember if the mix was any good, I don't think it was.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Nice, I want now! I have Pet Sounds on DVD-A and can't remember if the mix was any good, I don't think it was.
Here's one option:

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/95595/The_Beach_Boys-Surfs_Up-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD

Just noticed there is one reference to a surround mix on that page with a quote from a reviewer regretting that the surround version "to be heard via a Dynaco Quadaptor" is not included. All I can say is the particular disc I have has a Quad mix.
Morgan

·
Registered
689 Posts
Johannes Moser, Jakub Hrusa, Prague Philharmonia - Dvorak & Lalo Cello Concertos, 5.0 SACD (Pentatone). Had this on yesterday almost certainly for the first time with the 8500 and CX-UHD but wasn't in really in a sit down and listen situation. Even so, I was so taken I knew I was going to want to and did just now. I listened to it all the way through at -8 which had the loud parts nicely loud but not blaring and the quite parts fully audible and impactful.
The Dvorak piece, not untypically, is quite dynamic, the Lalo (which I am much less familiar with) less so but still very well served by the master. I have several versions of Dvorak's Cello Concerto (and have heard others) and the loud parts can be irritatingly, and even painfully, presented but here they are forceful but controlled. In the third movement there is an instrument that sounds like a number of small bells (the name is escaping me) which is exactly the kind of high pitched instrument that can irritate my ears if not reproduced right but no problems here.
The surround mix is certainly amongst the most immersive that I've heard in Classical music. On my system, the sense is not of being surrounded but more being in the middle of a semi-circle of the orchestra (the Conductor's position, perhaps?). In any case, the surrounds are doing a lot more than providing the ambience and reflections of the venue. Very full sound, but not an incoherent mass, spread out and detailed.
Moser is stunning, his technique (to my untrained ears) seems impeccable and his approach is intense and detailed (the bite of his bow on the strings is impressively captured and presented, very enjoyable, full marks to Pentatone). The Philharmonia is also on-point, as one would expect, and do a fine job of carrying the listener through the emotional rollercoaster that is Dvorak's Cello Concerto.
Really first rate all around.
Morgan

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Jazz at the Pawnshop Vol.1

SACD

Label lists it as 4.0
Oppo 203 shows 5.0
Nothing coming out of center channel, but subwoofer was active.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,716 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Matt. Thanks for the recommendation for The Band documentary. Really enjoyed it. A lot of information I was not aware of even though I have been a huge fan of them. The Last Waltz is one of my favorite concert Blu Rays. One of the best things is the 4 trailers they show at the beginning of the doc. I really enjoy music documentaries and the Joan Jett and The Wrecking Crew docs are great. If you guys have streaming services like Hulu or Tubi you should check them out. I'm going to check out the other 2 today. Big Star looks like a good one and they wrote September Gurls that the Bangles covered. Great song. Didn't know that.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Hi Matt. Thanks for the recommendation for The Band documentary. Really enjoyed it. A lot of information I was not aware of even though I have been a huge fan of them. The Last Waltz is one of my favorite concert Blu Rays. One of the best things is the 4 trailers they show at the beginning of the doc. I really enjoy music documentaries and the Joan Jett and The Wrecking Crew docs are great. If you guys have streaming services like Hulu or Tubi you should check them out. I'm going to check out the other 2 today. Big Star looks like a good one and they wrote September Gurls that the Bangles covered. Great song. Didn't know that.
Hi mrcarnut,

Happy to hear you enjoyed it :D I feel very fortunate to have been at The Last Waltz concert:) I'm glad I didn't know then what I do now after watching Once Were Brothers. It doesn't change the concert for me, it was what it was.

Take care, Ken

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
You're not using bass management?
Morgan
I'm not really sure what I have going on with bass management. I was partway through getting my Audio-Visual equipment calibrated before the virus crap erupted. I am waiting until my calibrator is ready to come back so he can finish.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I'm not really sure what I have going on with bass management. I was partway through getting my Audio-Visual equipment calibrated before the virus crap erupted. I am waiting until my calibrator is ready to come back so he can finish.
With the 4.0 discs my subwoofer is active. My speakers are set to small in the AVR so it routes frequencies below the cross-over frequency, in my case 80 Hz, to the subwoofer.

·
Registered
689 Posts
That's annoying, hopefully won't be too long. Probably is in use, anyway, hence the sub being active with .0.
Morgan

·
Registered
689 Posts
Frank Zappa & The Mothers - Roxy: The Movie, 5.1 AC3 (Blu-ray). Unreleased until 2015 due to some sort of failure in the recording device that ruined the sync with the film. Basically Roxy & Elsewhere without the elsewhere and with more Roxy. The disc features the 5.1 mix and two-channel 48/24 LPCM, mixed and mastered by Bruce Bostnick.
Really nice 5.1 mix, mostly front focussed as one would expect for a concert but with plenty of support from the rears, a very full, detailed sound. Also, one of the best uses of crowd noise I've come across, rarely hear clapping behind me on concert discs, for some reason.
Quite an enjoyable experience being able to watch Zappa and The Mothers produce this amazing music. This might have been this particular band operating at it's peak. The virtuosity in the playing of this complex music (on numerous occasions Zappa has to conduct, in his own inimitable way) is stunning to behold.
There are a few extra tracks which are also in 5.1 and two-channel. There is an Easter Egg in the extras menu (press up when the extra tracks title is highlighted, a yellow mustache will appear) of a video of Cheapnis being recorded in the studio made by Zappa. There is another one on the second page of the Titles menu (when the Back option is highlighted press up) with sped up video of the stage being set-up accompanied by sped-up guitar.
Overall, a fine record of an excellent concert.
Morgan

·
Registered
8,236 Posts

·
Registered
14,656 Posts
Jazz at the Pawnshop Vol.1 SACD
Label lists it as 4.0
Oppo 203 shows 5.0
Nothing coming out of center channel, but subwoofer was active.
I'm not sure of the technical aspect of it but SACDs even when 4.0 with no center channel content will show 5.0. Same results with my Oppo players.

Bill

4601 - 4620 of 4720 Posts