AVS Forum banner

4701 - 4720 of 4866 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Richard Thompson - Live from Austin, Tx., 5.1 DTS DVD. First listen. Unlike the other three albums I have from this CD/DVD series, which have 48/16 LPCM 2.0 and DTS 5.1 soundtracks, the DVD for this one has both Dolby and DTS 5.1 soundtracks and a Dolby 2.0 soundtrack. A brief back and forth between the Dolby and DTS 5.1 seemed to indicate that the DTS was a little hot but the Dolby was extremely muted. Settling in with the DTS soundtrack meant keeping the level lower than usually ideal for concerts but the end result was pretty gratifying in revealing detail and overall impact. The mix rarely, but definitely does occasionally, bring a lot of attention to the rear speakers but it is most certainly immersive and involving. The set is excellent, starting with some detailed, most fine electro-acoustical stuff moving into some more full on rocking stuff, including a string breaking version of Shoot out the Lights (although, somehow magically and seamlessly repaired by the next song :) ). Yet another extremely enjoyable entry from this series.
Morgan

·
Registered
731 Posts
Norah Jones - Live at Ronnie Scott's, 5.1 96/24 DTS-HD. Also, has a 96/24 LPCM soundtrack. First listen. Have to blame Matt 2026 for this one (thanks, Dude). :) Exceptional, intimate, subtle performances of some of her finest material. Also, exceptional recording of some very well executed live sound. Front focused but a very credible presentation of being in a club and seeing a Jazz Trio. Very enjoyable, especially if you have an appreciation for what good live sound actually sounds like. Good Stuff.
Morgan

·
Premium Member
^^^Respect My Authoritah!
4,947 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Still in the mail, but I had to post something on the new software!

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
Norah Jones - Live at Ronnie Scott's, 5.1 96/24 DTS-HD. Also, has a 96/24 LPCM soundtrack. First listen. Have to blame Matt 2026 for this one (thanks, Dude). :) Exceptional, intimate, subtle performances of some of her finest material. Also, exceptional recording of some very well executed live sound. Front focused but a very credible presentation of being in a club and seeing a Jazz Trio. Very enjoyable, especially if you have an appreciation for what good live sound actually sounds like. Good Stuff.
Morgan
Glad you enjoyed it Morgan:)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Just ordered the CD/Blu-ray off their website :)
Regarding the new Kansas album, the biggest surprise to me is not the mix (as it's rather conservative), the music. I can't get over how much I like this album. It's downloaded to a USB stick and in non-stop rotation in my car.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Nosound - Afterthought DVD-A
Great sounding album and excellent surround mix!! MLP 24/96 5.1
Has very good reviews on QQ

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
Regarding the new Kansas album, the biggest surprise to me is not the mix (as it's rather conservative), the music. I can't get over how much I like this album. It's downloaded to a USB stick and in non-stop rotation in my car.
The disc is on the way and they provided a wav file download from their site so I listened to that yesterday. Sounds pretty good. Looking forward to hearing the surround mix :)

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
KANSAS The Absence of Presence (Blu-ray: DTS-HD MA 5.1)

As @weekendtoy noted earlier, not a heavy duty 5.1 mix... Still sounds good :)

Update: My batteries died in my remote and the AVR sound wasn't in DTS-HD MSTR mode. Didn't notice until the last 3 cuts remained and putting in batteries and getting the correct setting seemed to really improve the surround... I'll try again tomorrow and see how the entire album sounds.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts

4701 - 4720 of 4866 Posts