AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 4907 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
No More Shall We Part -- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

(Another artist who doesn't get much mention in this forum although almost all of his albums have been remastered in 5.1 mixes.)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
No More Shall We Part -- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

(Another artist who doesn't get much mention in this forum although almost all of his albums have been remastered in 5.1 mixes.)

How is the 5.1 mix? Is his latest release "Skeleton Tree" available in 5.1?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
How is the 5.1 mix? Is his latest release "Skeleton Tree" available in 5.1?
All of Nick Cave albums which have been remixed in 5.1 are well done and very enveloping. You also get a lot of content for your money although some of the albums have become quite pricey due to the limited availability of them. (I have them all.)

The plan was to have all of this albums remastered with 5.1 mixes. His latest two (Push The Sky Away and Skeleton Tree) have not received that treatment. And I don't know if they will as the announcement was made before these two albums were ever conceived.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Since Peter Gabriel's Up is one of my favorite 5.1 music discs, I invested in the new Blu ray Still Growing Up Live. (I own the previous DVD version of this concert.)

So, I have been listening and watching this release which is immensely enjoyable for me.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
All of Nick Cave albums which have been remixed in 5.1 are well done and very enveloping. You also get a lot of content for your money although some of the albums have become quite pricey due to the limited availability of them. (I have them all.)

The plan was to have all of this albums remastered with 5.1 mixes. His latest two (Push The Sky Away and Skeleton Tree) have not received that treatment. And I don't know if they will as the announcement was made before these two albums were ever conceived.

Thank you for that review. I ordered 1997's The Boatman's Call to get things started.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KX5KPI/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A9G4IDK5ZNW30

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Thank you for that review. I ordered 1997's The Boatman's Call to get things started.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KX5KPI/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A9G4IDK5ZNW30
Good choice. That album has a lot of great songs on it. Report back on how you like the 5.1 mix.

One of my favorite Nick Cave albums is:

https://smile.amazon.com/Live-Kcrw-Nick-Cave-Seeds/dp/B00GYKRKDA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1478935424&sr=8-3&keywords=nick+cave+live#customerReviews

It's not a 5.1 recording, but it's got a great version of The Mercy Seat on it which is worth the price of admission.

Also, recommended:

https://smile.amazon.com/Sides-Rarities-Nick-Seeds-Cave/dp/B00022VLYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478935696&sr=8-1&keywords=nick+cave+box+set

Lots of excellent material (and some lesser stuff) at a great price.

(I ordered them both from Amazon UK as they were cheaper to import them than to buy them domestically.)

·
Registered
14,676 Posts
Listening to the quad mix of Blood, Sweat & Tears S/T Audio Fidelity SACD. Very nice :)!

Bill

Reactions: Tornado Red

·
Registered
14,676 Posts
Put on the Best of the Guess Who AF SACD after listening to the B,S&T S/T AF SACD. I got as far as American Woman and stopped the disc. I found the Guess Who quad mix to be a bit flat and not very immersive when compared to the B,S&T S/T quad mix.

Just put on Eric Clapton's "There's One In Every Crowd" Blu-ray from the Give Me Strength '74/'75 Recordings. It's a real nice quad mix! The Blu-ray also includes Elliot Scheiner’s unreleased 5.1 mix of 461 Ocean Boulevard and the original quad mix of the same album. I find that Elliot Scheiner’s 5.1 mix of 461 Ocean Boulevard is better than the 5.1 mix on the SACD.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/eric-clapton-give-me-strength-the-1974-1975-recordings-box-set/

Bill

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Put on the Best of the Guess Who AF SACD after listening to the B,S&T S/T AF SACD. I got as far as American Woman and stopped the disc. I found the Guess Who quad mix to be a bit flat and not very immersive when compared to the B,S&T S/T quad mix.

Just put on Eric Clapton's "There's One In Every Crowd" Blu-ray from the Give Me Strength '74/'75 Recordings. It's a real nice quad mix! The Blu-ray also includes Elliot Scheiner’s unreleased 5.1 mix of 461 Ocean Boulevard and the original quad mix of the same album. I find that Elliot Scheiner’s 5.1 mix of 461 Ocean Boulevard is better than the 5.1 mix on the SACD.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/eric-clapton-give-me-strength-the-1974-1975-recordings-box-set/

Bill
A ha! I've collected a bunch of the AF multi channel SACDs over the last couple of years. I'm very pleased with most of them, but found the quad mix of The Guess Who to be sorely lacking (so bad in fact, that I prefer the stereo mix which is unheard of for me :)) But it seems like everyone I've talked to that has it looks at me like I've got lobsters crawling out of my ears when I mention I don't care for the quad mix. Nice to meet a fellow traveller, lol. ;)

·
Registered
14,676 Posts
A ha! I've collected a bunch of the AF multi channel SACDs over the last couple of years. I'm very pleased with most of them, but found the quad mix of The Guess Who to be sorely lacking (so bad in fact, that I prefer the stereo mix which is unheard of for me :)) But it seems like everyone I've talked to that has it looks at me like I've got lobsters crawling out of my ears when I mention I don't care for the quad mix. Nice to meet a fellow traveller, lol. ;)
It's interesting that some think The Best of The Guess Who is a good quad mix. As you I also found the quad mix "lacking" (great term) in overall SQ. The quad mix just seems flat when compared to many multichannel titles I have. My comments were not well received by one member over at the SH Forum ;).

Bill

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
It's interesting that some think The Best of The Guess Who is a good quad mix. As you I also found the quad mix "lacking" (great term) in overall SQ. The quad mix just seems flat when compared to many multichannel titles I have. My comments were not well received by one member over at the SH Forum ;).

Bill
I noticed that comment over there, a little harsh I thought considering you weren't trashing the thing. Anyway, here's a better one from AF imo, Best of Bread 4.0

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
RPWL: World Through My Eyes

Great mix on this German progressive rock album. Pink Floyd influences but with their own distinctive style. I was looking for a picture to post and noticed that discogs has a couple of used copys at $20. Someone should pick this long OOP disc up.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Been looking at this one, what do you think of the music and mix Milt?
How do you like it? I just got mine but am in the middle of 19 discs of the new Crimson box so I won't get to it for a while. If it's like the other XTC releases, it should be spectacular.
Sorry for the really late reply, haven't looked in for a while.

Skylarking is like all of the other SW XTC releases, stellar.
Originally to me Skylarking was not in my top 3 or 4 XTC favorites.
I liked a few songs but I was used to XTC albums\cds sounding great and this one sounded tizzy, or just off.
With the "corrected polarity" cd that all changed it now had such an easy to listen to flow like a languid stream.
The 5.1 is even more so and I've only had time to listen once.
What I really like about these releases is the instrumental only tracks. Just brilliant.
Like Skylarking, the re-release of Nonsuch was another revelation.
Like everyone else just praying we get Black Sea, ES, Mummer and Big Express.

To expand a bit, I'll finally have some time this week to catch up on some stuff, particularly the KC 80's box, more Skylarking, Stand Up & Out of Time.
:cool:

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
From my newly ripped SACD's Al Di Meola: Consequence of Chaos played back from the DSF files, the artwork on the tablet is from the Flac files, both are 5.1.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 4907 Posts