AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering building a coffee table/HT subwoofer. It would have a 12" custom built TC Sounds LMS driver and be placed in a 3cu sealed enclosure, downfiring. In my attempt to conserve space and make it more attractive, i've considered building it into a coffee table. My concern is that the wave lengths aren't long enough, when placed by the listening area, to create the spl and response needed to fill the room, or at least listening area. I know that designs like ported enclosures are wall wort's, or need a deflection to create the 1/4 wave to the listening area. But the idea behind the downfiring sealed enclosure was to "radiate" bass from the bottom of the enclosure/coffee table.

What are your opinions on this and is it a feasible idea?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by resko1 /forum/post/19535622

I know that designs like ported enclosures are wall wort's, or need a deflection to create the 1/4 wave to the listening area.

That's not quite right. They don't require it, they just work better with it, no matter what the enclosure alignment.
Quote:
But the idea behind the downfiring sealed enclosure was to "radiate" bass from the bottom of the enclosure/coffee table.

A source is a source. The limiting factors are the speaker response, displacement limit and boundary effects/room modes. With mid-room placement boundary effects and room modes tend to be mainly attenuating. If anything mid-room placement will get better results with larger vented enclosures.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
hi resko. +1 to what bill said. you don't need a big space in order to hear low frequencies...or you would not be able to hear any bass with earbud headphones. your build plan sounds just fine. once you get it built, you will find that different placement produces different peaks and nulls at different places around the room. make sure the cabinet is well sealed and well braced. welcome to avs diy. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts