Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondeast
i have seen the lite on 5005 recorder for $179 can at costco..what do you guys think of this?

Futureshop Online has the 5045 for $399. Comes with 160G drive. Other than that I've heard the 5005 is excellent unit.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Do the newer Liteons use a stereo tuner? My 5001 did not and it recorded the audio in mpeg rathar than DD format. It also failed 3 months after I bought it. However, it did record good quality video at the slower speed. I am recovering some unfinalized discs left over from when it failed and the video is nice for having been recorded at the slow speed (discs were expensive in those days).

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Has a mono tuner and records DVD audio in non-standard mpeg 1 layer 2 (MP2) vice PCM or AC3. But otherwise not a bad recorder as far as visual quality is concerned. I use it primarily to convert kid's VHS videos to VCD or SVCD for playback in the car's DVD player. I would go to a Panny, Pioneer, or Toshiba unit for quality DVD recording with the highest compatiblity (i.e., compatible audio stream), however.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
There are a couple of shortcomings on the 5045 as well that don't get covered in these reviews because the reviewers are not avid DVD recorder users, but they become fairly obvious if you been around the block on these things for a few years. The first "issue" is it lacks a feature that allows you to view another program on the HDD or DVD Player while recording. Many of the name brands such as Panny, Toshiba, and Pioneer allow you to watch a program on the HDD or even a DVD WHILE YOU ARE RECORDING IT, even to the point of allowing you to skip around the disc to the beginning of the program or watching another program on the HDD while recording to the HDD or DVD. This is variously referred to as Time Slip or Chasing Play etc... Also, when dubbing from HDD to DVD, you cannot "transcode" from one quality mode to another during the dub. For example, on the Pannys you can record a several programs to the HDD in highest quality XP (1 Hr mode) and then subsequently dub two of these XP programs to a single disc in SP (2 Hr mode) or alternatively record a 2 hr 15 min program in XP mode and edit out the commercials such that the program is less than 2 hours so you can dub it in SP mode and the recorder will transcode from XP to SP quality on the fly, in real time during the dubbing process. With the 5045 when dubbing you are "stuck" in the quality mode you originally recorded the program to in the first place. Also, I'm not aware of the 5045 having a flex record mode that allows the bit rate to be automatically chosen such that the entire disc is filled up simply based on the total duration of therecording. None of these are necessarily deal breakers, but with Panny, Pioneer, and Toshiba on at least their third, fourth, or even fifth generation of DVD recorder they have variously worked out many bugs and have incrementally evolved with features that just make the whole DVD recording process easier, more convenient, or more flexible. The budget brands such as Lite-on are still catching up...

·
Registered
948 Posts
vferrari... I just wanted to mention what I found. Was a little suspicious myself at the review based on posts on their earlier models(crap). Have no intention of buying it. Waiting on the debut of the new Sony 710/715 or 910/915 as well as the money to buy one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.