AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since got a new XP computer with a Gigabyte motherboard, I have been having two problems that I didn't seem have with my old Win98 computer:

1. I use a Liteon wireless infrared keyboard to control the computer. For some reason the mouse doesn't work when I run the PS/2 connection through my Linksys Proconnect KVM switcher. If I plug the mouse directly into the motherboard, then everything seems fine.

2. I use the Linksys Proconnet KVM switch as a source switcher, to switch my projector's VGA connection between the Iscan line doubler and the HTPC. I have macros in my Pronto remote that issue keyboard commands to control the KVM using the Liteon IR receiver plugged into the KVM. This used to work fine in the past when I left the computer on all the time. But now that I have my computer go into sleep mode when not in use, I'm finding that the KVM switcher doesn't respond to the IR signals if the computer is asleep. I assume this is because the computer isn't feeding the necessary voltage to the KVM through the PS2 keyboard port to keep it (or the Liteon receiver) alive. Any ideas on how to solve this... should I wire up a keyboard cable that connects the power pins to an external power supply instead of the computer?

For the first problem, it looks like I'm not alone; others are seeing similar problems in the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=142774

In my case it seems to work to plug the Liteon mouse PS2 cable directly into the computer (bypassing the KVM), even though the keyboard still gets routed through the KVM. That solves the first problem but not the second, but in an awkards way (requiring the KVM to be located in very close physical proximity to the computer).

-Tom

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.