AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.


First i have an early HD RPTV that support only 480i / 480p and 1080i...

It's Pioneer SD-643HD5 it's a 64 inches TV.


Note that my ps3 is connected via Component (tv do not have HDMI / DVI)


For christmas i got Little Big planet but this game Support 720p! so my PS3 will downscale the game in 480p...


Before unpack the game i'm wondering how the game is gonna look in a 64 inches TV in 480p... i'm afraid that it will look like **** and burry as hell.


I dont know if i should exchange it for an another game that support 1080i.

But i must admit the game look fun.


Advice please!

Thanks


PS: Sorry for bad english!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
I have an old HD RPTV also and I play LBP on 480p, it isn't as clear as 720 as you would expect but it isn't horrible. Graphics don't make this game, the game play does. If your worried that much about graphics then this game probably isn't for you. Whether or not it looks bad in 480p is an opinion...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/15417955


Do you want a game because it supports a certain resolution or a game that is fun? Buy LBP and a modern TV and then there's no worries, right?

I'm all for the "buy a game because it's fun, not because of the graphics" argument. Personally, though, I haven't bought a Wii game in over 6 months, namely because I'm tired of playing games in SD.


A perfect example is the "williams collection" pinball game on the Wii. It has awesome tables and gameplay physics... but guess what game actually gets more play time? The crappy pinball FX game for the xbox 360 - it looks amazing but the tables aren't nearly as cool. I never thought I'd be a sucker for graphics over gameplay, and I can still appreciate solid gameplay... I just seem to spend more time with the prettier games.


As for the author of this post, you're in quite an unfortunate predicament. If you all will remember back, there was a period of time around 2001-2002 where the HD-area was pre-720p. Thus, all HD TVs were 1080i, but didn't even have 720p support. All of those early HD-adopters are stuck with having to use 1080i modes for all these great 720p games.


It's sad but true, it may be time to bite the bullet and get a new TV, because probably the next 3-4 years of games will render natively at 720p, until the next generation of consoles pushes the bar to 1080p -- at which point it will be definitely time for you to upgrade.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/15417955


Do you want a game because it supports a certain resolution or a game that is fun? Buy LBP and a modern TV and then there's no worries, right?

You're telling him to upgrade to a $3000+ TV as your no worries solution to his problem playing LBP? =P
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsocaltiger /forum/post/15464037


You're telling him to upgrade to a $3000+ TV as your no worries solution to his problem playing LBP? =P

Why does he need to get the $3000 set? There are tons of reasonably-priced HDTVs.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsocaltiger /forum/post/15464037


You're telling him to upgrade to a $3000+ TV as your no worries solution to his problem playing LBP? =P

1) That's the price you pay for being an early adopter, or not doing your research. I assume he's the former, as many were.

2) As said, there's plenty of reasonably priced options and sales out there. It does suck to upgrade if you were not planning on it thou.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
We've been playing LBP at 480P on a 65" Mits (65813) and while it's noticeably not a 1080i game, it's quite playable and fun.


I'd go ahead and crack the package and give it a shot, you'll likely enjoy the game play enough that it'll be worth it despite the lesser graphics. It's not a game that depends on great graphics to be playable...


The PS3 not upscaling 720p games to 1080i is one of my few real complaints with the system...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I'm in the same boat, with a 3 year old HDTV that only supports 1080i, and while I HATE the 480p downscaling of 720p games, LBP still looks decent at 480p.


The whole "buy a new tv" response is a lot of b.s. in my book. Sony really should fix the problem with 720p downrezzing to 480p, since every other HD box I own can do this. XBOX 360 can upscale 720p games to 1080i, my TiVo can output that resolution, and just about anything else on the market that does HD natively renders images in 1080i.


Up until a couple of years ago when 1080p sets started to appear on the market, 1080i was just as prevalent as 720p. Why Sony won't simply mandate support for the resolution on all games is beyond me, since this issue affects about 70% of the PS3's library right now. You'd think they would want all games to look awesome on their system, not just for customers who have 720p capable sets.


If the downscaling issue really bothers you, keep bringing it up. The more that developers and Sony hear about it, the more likely it is to get fixed. Burnout added 1080i support after enough people mentioned it on forums and the playstation.blog, and Insomniac now supports 1080i in all of their games (Resistance 2 looks excellent).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Oppliger /forum/post/15466725


I'm in the same boat, with a 3 year old HDTV that only supports 1080i, and while I HATE the 480p downscaling of 720p games, LBP still looks decent at 480p.


The whole "buy a new tv" response is a lot of b.s. in my book. Sony really should fix the problem with 720p downrezzing to 480p, since every other HD box I own can do this. XBOX 360 can upscale 720p games to 1080i, my TiVo can output that resolution, and just about anything else on the market that does HD natively renders images in 1080i.


Up until a couple of years ago when 1080p sets started to appear on the market, 1080i was just as prevalent as 720p. Why Sony won't simply mandate support for the resolution on all games is beyond me, since this issue affects about 70% of the PS3's library right now. You'd think they would want all games to look awesome on their system, not just for customers who have 720p capable sets.


If the downscaling issue really bothers you, keep bringing it up. The more that developers and Sony hear about it, the more likely it is to get fixed. Burnout added 1080i support after enough people mentioned it on forums and the playstation.blog, and Insomniac now supports 1080i in all of their games (Resistance 2 looks excellent).

The PS3 doesn't have a dedicated hardware scaler so Sony has no way of making all PS3 games capable of scaling to 1080i. It uses the Cell processor for DVD and PS1/2 game scaling but it can't do that with PS3 games because the system must assume every game is pushing the hardware to it's limits (ya know in case it actually is). It's purely dependent on the developer and some games simply can't afford to set aside processing power for 1080i scaling.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Oppliger /forum/post/15466725


If the downscaling issue really bothers you, keep bringing it up. The more that developers and Sony hear about it, the more likely it is to get fixed.

Good point. It has affected the games I've bought as if it's 720p only I want to make sure it's a game we'll really enjoy. I went with the Y2K NBA & NHL choices over their EA alternatives since the EA Sports line refuses to support 1080i. No regrets in that decision.


Guess I should email EA and let them know they lost a couple sales there.


But LBP is a good enough game that it's still a lot of fun in 480p...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,799 Posts

Quote:
The PS3 doesn't have a dedicated hardware scaler so Sony has no way of making all PS3 games capable of scaling to 1080i.

Well they could. Just mandate to developers that all games must support 1080i or they won't allow it to be published.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
The whole EA not supporting 1080i thing bothers me too, which is why I haven't picked up a EA Sports title for the PS3.


I agree that LBP is fine in 480p...kind of fuzzy, but still a fun enough game. Whenever they do a Q&A thread on the playstation blog, I ask about 1080i though. Considering the game was supposed to be a flagship title for last fall, it's sad that it can't display in HD for so many people.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/15466904


Well they could. Just mandate to developers that all games must support 1080i or they won't allow it to be published.

That's not possible. The PS3 doesn't have a scaler like the 360 does so it has to render at a given resolution or it has to use extra processing power to do the scaling. Generally this means rendering 12% more horizontal lines of resolution and then scaling up from there. It's a lot of work on the developers part to make that possible while not taking a hit to performance or picture quality. Sony can't mandate something like that to be a requirement, especially just to cater to a small vocal minority. This has been discussed countless times before over the past two years. Do a search and you'll find this same conversation 10 times.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Even though there's not a hardware scaler in the PS3, there's obviously a toolset out there for implementing 1080i. Burnout added 1080i support with the first wave of downloadable content, without a hit to performance (and yeah, I realize that the performance issue vaires from title to title).


I agree that the issue has been discussed to death. You'd think that developers or Sony would listen and do something about it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Oppliger /forum/post/15466725


If the downscaling issue really bothers you, keep bringing it up. The more that developers and Sony hear about it, the more likely it is to get fixed. Burnout added 1080i support after enough people mentioned it on forums and the playstation.blog, and Insomniac now supports 1080i in all of their games (Resistance 2 looks excellent).

Actually Criterion said they added 1080i support to burnout, because Sony freed up some of the RAM in the Firmware update, thus leaving them with extra RAM "lying" around. In a game like LBP where it is pushing the cell pretty hard for the all the physics, I'm sure setting aside RAM for scaling was the last thing on their mind.


I will end with this. Sony should have had a hardware scaler from the beginning, but hopefully they will put one in future models.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsocaltiger /forum/post/15464037


You're telling him to upgrade to a $3000+ TV as your no worries solution to his problem playing LBP? =P

Or you can buy an HD set for under $200 new. Of course if you want to get a Pioneer Kuro then $3,000 might be around the right price..


I think it is awesome to see 50" Plasma's for under a grand at retail stores
When the store I worked at first sold them it was a 27" Plasma, SD, crap PQ for $15,000.00
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Oppliger /forum/post/15466725


If the downscaling issue really bothers you, keep bringing it up. The more that developers and Sony hear about it, the more likely it is to get fixed. Burnout added 1080i support after enough people mentioned it on forums and the playstation.blog, and Insomniac now supports 1080i in all of their games (Resistance 2 looks excellent).

I agree but I see no point in bringing it up here. Does SCE read the AVS forums? Maybe, but highly unlikely. Voice your opinion on how they should add features over on the official Sony PS forums....here it is just going to be applauded by some and ridiculed by the rest. It's the internet you know...
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top