AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in the process of setting up a dedicated media room in the basement of my new house. one cat5 is already coming from my router in the next room. the cable is already behind wall. how can i share this one cat5 with my xbox and my ps3? a network switch? a hub? will i need a second ip address? any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
All you need is a hub or switch. A hub shares bandwidth among its inputs while a switch provides a dedicated line between two devices (so may be more expensive). Most router is setup for DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) which dynamically provides IP addresses within your network.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help- which one would serve my purpose better you think? running another cable is probably not gonna happen. according to jdh62 a hub might be the better way to go. just want both ps3 and 360 to have network access. they will not be used at the same time. im hoping not to reduce my bandwidth with these devices.

·
Registered
412 Posts
In your situation, either would work, but if you don't have either and end up picking up something, skip the hub and get a switch as it handles traffic better. Also, there's no reason why you can't have both connected at the same time. If you think you need more bandwidth in the future, just upgrade both devices to GigE. This is assuming that you cable is at least cat 5E. And to get GigE at the switch end, you router also need to support GigE.

Again, for what you need, just get a 10/100 switch. It's got more than enough bandwidth.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help guys - yeah cable is cat5e. will go with a switch. thanks again.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmenxmenxmen /forum/post/14294193

In your situation, either would work, but if you don't have either and end up picking up something, skip the hub and get a switch as it handles traffic better. Also, there's no reason why you can't have both connected at the same time. If you think you need more bandwidth in the future, just upgrade both devices to GigE. This is assuming that you cable is at least cat 5E. And to get GigE at the switch end, you router also need to support GigE.

Again, for what you need, just get a 10/100 switch. It's got more than enough bandwidth.

thanks again - looking around i see managed and unmanaged switches. what will work better for me? should it support jumbo frames?

just so im clear will it go: modem to router to switch to xbox and ps3 in that order?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, you are correct -- you would connect your cable/DSL modem to your router and then to the switch and then to your XBox and PS3.

Managed switch gives you more control and are more expensive. Since it sounds like you just want connectivity and not do anything fancy, go with unmanaged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts