AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys ,

I know this question has been beat to death but i'm tired of searching. Anyway I am in the market for a new TV . I just recently returned a Gateway plasma due to fear of my games burning in . Anyway what I want to know is what are some recommended TV's that can cater to heavy game play. I have been looking at the Samsung DLP & Have heard a few things aboput the LCos . Just want some helpful suggestion so I don't have to return another 3k TV . My current setup now is a 36' JVC with a Sony DVD player , TIVO, Time Warner Digital cable , DreamCast, Xbox,GameCube, PS2,PS1 & Nintendo 64, . My sound is provided by 2 sources an AIWA all in one Home Theater System and I also have a SOund switcher box that allow me to use a set of Kinyo Game speakers . Just looking for a bigger TV to enjoy my stuff. Ya know how much it sucked returning my plasma. It sucked really bad cuz I thought I had some awesome technology to enjoy my games and I could'nt . Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated .

· Registered
9,727 Posts
I game for hours and hours on my hitachi HDTV and never worry about burn in... best big option for around 2K... if you don't mind a tiny tv you can't beat the picture quality on a 34 inch sony XBR, the only tube TV I'd say to buy... and if you're going to go higher, stay away from LCoS, DLP is the way to go, 3K and some digging will get you a good Samsung DLP.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks , I was looking at the 34' since my wife works at Best Buy . The DLP has been my choice thus far. All my systems are connected with composite cables . I really just want an awesome big TV to play on . I also plan on hooking my PC to it . Never knew finding a good TV was this difficult . Thanks for the help thus far :D

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You do have a point . So far the DLP is the most viable option. Any particular brand you reccomend ?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear LCD screens are prone to burn-in . True or False or 50/50?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm . Now that complicates things a little bit due to there being a lot of LCD tv's out there. Time to go back to the drawing board I guess

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never knew about the black issues , Thanks alot

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Go into your closet at night with no lights on.

That's black.

The darkest black you'll see on the LCD DP sets, especially Panny's, are no where near "black" but somewhat of a darker grey. It has to do with the incredibly bright lamp not being shielded enough from the screen, so excessive light reaches the picture and washes it out.

· Registered
254 Posts
In terms of gaming,

Sony 40XBR CRT > Samsung DLP > LCD

I'm a gamer (well, "gaming industry professional" :) ) and I can personally vouch for the XBR being the most beautiful thing there is. However, the drawback is that it's HUGE and HEAVY... and that's what swayed me towards a Samsung DLP.

The 40XBR can be had for about 2.2k, 2.5k with stand. I managed to get a Sammy HLN507W with stand for 3.2k and was quoted with 2.6k for a HLN437 -- if you can manage that deal (I was lucky to know an acquaintance) you'll be home free.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The XBR sounds good but it's too deep to fit through my door . My door is only about 22inches wide . The DLP is looking better and better everyday . Thank you all for the feedback thus far . Any other ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated

· Registered
936 Posts
Why not consider a CRT based RPTV. I had the Pioneer Elite 510 (53" diagonal) and it was a beautiful image. The prices have really dropped. Far and away a better image than DLP. I am not biased, I presently own a DLP projection system (Infocus 7200). For front projectors, DLP is the way to go (not LCD because of the contrast issues, i.e. blacks). If I were to buy a RPTV, I'd run out and purchase another Elite. The 730 model (65" diagonal) with a DVI input. BTW, contrast on a CRT is beyond what DLP could even hope to achieve. One problem with a CRT RPTV is you'll have to converge it occasionally. Not really very tough, but will take some tweaking or hire it out.

Having said all of the above, if you get a DLP RPTV or a CRT RPTV or a tube CRT like the Sony XBR, you will be in gaming heaven. Yes you will. You'll love any of the above choices.

Research before you buy. Go into the forums and ask for opinions about specific sets. And most important of all, see them for yourself. BTW, Best Buy is notorious for having poorly setup displays.

Hope I was of some help.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would I have to concern myself with burn in regarding the crt rprtv? I can't mess the XBR due it being too big to fit through my door . The DLP has a top spot for me cause I can hook everything up in one spot . Ya know game system and PC . After the horrible plasma experience trust me that I am researching really well . I appreciate your help

· Registered
1,054 Posts
DLP sets are far better for gaming that CRT RP since they can do 480p pillar-boxed with no burn-in.

As for PC gaming, the DLP's have VGA inputs, and work great for PC games.

I disagree with the above user's statement about contrast, since most DLP sets look far brighter than any CRT RP set out there.

· Registered
936 Posts
Well, I kind of forgot about the burn-in question. Yeah, DLP would be completely safe with regard to burn-in. Dark-007, contrast ratio with CRT is still king. Yes, DLP would be brighter, but that is not really the issue. The issue with contrast is "how black is black?" On a LCD it is horrible. On a modern DLP (HD2 or HD2+ Texas Instrument chip) it is pretty good. On a CRT, black is...well, black. This translates into a rich, 3D image.

Of course, having said all of that, I am pretty happy with the contrast ratio of my Infocus 7200 DLP.

If I was buying a new television for watching movies, it'd probably be a CRT RPTV. However, since you were wanting one primarily for games, I change my answer to DLP.

Don't just look at best buy for your set. They typically do not carry high end gear. On the other hand, if you can get it for 5% over cost, it probably is worth it.

Research. Demo. Research some more. Find internet prices. Talk dealers down. Purchase. Set up. Game.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.