AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my onkyo rc 180 for a couple weeks and was wondering about the different sound formats. http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=s

When I am watching netflix/bluray/xbox 360 etc what should the receiver be showing? It seems to always show prologic PLII and looking on the link provided it says that is for added height channels etc.

There is also thx modes and I am just not sure what are the best sounding modes or if I am getting HD audio or not. I only have a 5.1 setup.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake /forum/post/20767104

When I am watching netflix/bluray/xbox 360 etc what should the receiver be showing? It seems to always show prologic PLII and looking on the link provided it says that is for added height channels etc.

Plain Dobly ProLogic II is almost definately not what you want, it's for two channel analogue souces, and Pro Logic IIz wouldn't be doing much for you with only a 5.1 speaker setup.

Assuming you've got everthing hooked up with HDMI, then with BluRay you'd want it showing PCM (LPCM), Dolby TrueHD, or DTS HD. With the Xbox 360 and games you'd want it showing PCM. I don't know about Netflix.

As for THX and other modes, what's the best sounding is up to you.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
DPL II may indicate you are only getting two channel audio. You have a digital connection? Optical? HDMI?

If it's hooked up right, and in "default" mode, when playing a DVD with Dolby Digital, you would usually get an indicator telling you that the receiver is playing back DD.

One possible problem is if you hooked up your player to your TV, then your TV to your receiver. People try this, and it does not work right. You usually have to hook your player up to your receiver, typically with HDMI.

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
How is each of those devices connected to the AVR?

What us the audio output setting of each playback device?

What is the audio format of the sources you are playing?

Some of your sources are likely stereo, in which case PLII is a good way to generate decent surround sound. But, if any of those sources are DD 5.1 or DTS or one of the lossless codecs, then you are not getting the best audio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.