AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been multiple postings about distributing and controlling multiple ReplayTVs in a house. I thought I would detail what I did:

ReplayTV 1 in family room, ReplayTV 2 in bedroom upstairs

Avcast Media Kit (avcast.com) as follows:

Media Caster behind each ReplayTV - modulates output and sends it as a modulated channel to the Cable Caster in the basement where the cable comes in. The cool thing is that the Media Caster uses the existing cable run for receiving and sending - no cable runs had to be added.

Cable Caster in the basement takes the cable line as input and then has 4 "network ports" which use coax - this box replaces the traditional splitter - I connected the existing coax runs to the ports on the Cable Caster and can then use a Media Caster on any of the runs to send back on the same run a modulated signal.

IR Casters in other location - these send IR signals back along the same coax run that brings the signal to the TV so again no extra runs. The IR signal goes to the cable caster which then sends to the media caster which then emits it to the ReplayTV.

SO far I have enabled one Replay - took 15 minutes, no wiring required. And as a bonus, the cable caster boosts the signal so my existing TV picture improved everywhere!!

Very very cool, very very easy and pretty inexpensive - for two replays (Media Casters), one remote control location (IR Caster)and the cable caster - $195 plus shipping!!! I also spent some time on the phone and email and they were very helpful.

Discounted prices at http://www.avcast.com/webtv/welcome.html - not sure how long - I ordered last week. Thread on this at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=45443

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Seems like a neat system - I'm currently using channel modulators (which is really all this system is) with the X10 powermids for IR.

I would jump on this except I only modulate for the bedroom TV - I use S-Video for the big TV in the den where quality matters most to me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha - I am doing the same essentially. I have the ReplayTV with S-vid to the big TV for quality but then use the media caster to make it visible upstairs. Ditto for the upstairs replaytv...

the diff with avcast is that this all works with existing coax runs - bidirectional for all IR and modulated signal without adding any cable...plus for the $ it was more expandable than a lot of stuff - you can put splitters in to have multiple mod'd sources fed to one port on the cable caster (I will verify soon :) )

this stuff is fun fun fun :)

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I see what you've done, this is a nice system.

Personally I still am able to use existing coax runs because I relocated the Replays to the basement (where the coax comes in from cable and goes out to the rest of the house). Then I don't hear the loud hard drives all the time :)

I'm about to add two cams - front door cam and maybe backyard cam or kitchencam or something, and I have another two-channel modulator ready to go for that project.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny - I have been having long discussions with my wife about moving them to the basement to avoid the drive noise at night...but then she and the kids would need to understand the use of the RS 1994 AUX1 and AUX2 devices for controlling the right replaytv...and then they would end up using the old remote which would then hit both replays and delete stuff by accident, etc. :) Oh well, at least we can appreciate the beauty of using one remote for lights, two distinct replaytvs, etc....I just have to be happy knowing I understand it :)

I was thinking about more camera myself and may end up adding them as well :) Problem is I am having trouble finding vacant channels (media caster tops out at 80). There is a notch filter included but it wipes out some channels I want :)

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robotron
Funny - I have been having long discussions with my wife about moving them to the basement to avoid the drive noise at night...but then she and the kids would need to understand the use of the RS 1994 AUX1 and AUX2 devices for controlling the right replaytv...and then they would end up using the old remote which would then hit both replays and delete stuff by accident, etc. :)
You could always re-program the old remotes to just work the correct Replay, then label them RTV1 and RTV2. Just a thought.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Rob. Can I upload the hacked protocol to the Replay remotes and do power outage to the replay to get it to respond to one remote only - I thought I had read that it made the repplay remotes die...

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
The Replay remote is a JP1-capable remote, just like the 15-1994, and you can use the same protocols in each, so yes, you can load the hacked Replay protocol to the Replay remote.

The Replay remotes are not made as well as the 15-1994, es evidenced by the fact that everyone's SELECT button seems to be wearing out. Also, they are a little bit more sensitive to the whole JP1 process. I have fried a couple of them, but I've not heard of anyone else damaging their remote yet.

Back to the subject of Avcast, I was checking out the web site and considering using it myself, but I discovered that they are not compatible with cable modems *. I'm getting a cable modem installed this weekend and it's on the same cable line as my ReplayTV boxes, which is completely on the otherside of the house to where the cable comes into the house, so it's not an option for me.

* It's not compatible because the Cable Caster doesn't allow for upstream communication. If you can split the incoming cable and run one line to the modem and another into the Cable Caster, then you'll be fine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good tip about the cable modem - I am waiting for that or DSL - neither are in Lisle (sigh). I just had a great chat with avcast support - very helpful. They are coming out with new products in that weill expand the range of channels they can modulate to - currently 65-80...I will JP1 the replay remotes and post back when all the dust settles...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.