AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 55" Samsung TV is mounted above our fireplace. Between the top of the mantle and the bottom of the TV there is only a couple of inches. Not much more room above the TV between it and the ceiling. I cannot locate any kind of a center channel speaker that is long and low and not too deep.

The left and right speakers are embedded into the wall but there is not enough room beneath the TV to do so with a center channel speaker.

Putting a CC speaker on a stand in front of the fireplace is a no-no for obvious reasons

Too bad one cannot jury-rig the internal speakers of the TV to be the center channel speakers of the system. Anybody ever try that?

Other suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA for any and all ideas!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicnic /forum/post/18263085

Too bad one cannot jury-rig the internal speakers of the TV to be the center channel speakers of the system. Anybody ever try that?

Yes, but the ease of this is usually a function of the display and source device design . . . and the results are generally poor unless the tv's speakers are a very good timbre match for the L+R Mains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicnic /forum/post/18263085

Other suggestions would be appreciated.

Two thoughts come to mind: (#1) Ceiling mount a 'thin and wide' speaker a few inches in front of the tv, so that the speaker chassis does not obstruct a view of the upper edge of the set, or (#2) consider an Artison "DualMono Center Channel" technology speaker, although this may be a price and technology overkill!

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
option 3, don't use a center channel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This issue seems to come up a lot (including for myself). Is there a reason not to go phantom center in situations like these? Seems like that would be better than compromising too much on the center channel, is this true?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
it is an interesting topic. I am currently only using 2 mains as my theater speakers. The center seems to be giving me a boxy affect and does not place the audio well.

The way I see it, you can have:

Acoustically transparent screen with speakers behind screen (probably best)

2 channel speakers with no center, audio is enveloping room but doesn't locate/image to the screen well

3 speakers (center) below or above screen - i am beginnign to hate this as it doesn't imgae well - audio feels like it's coming from center speaker and not screen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts