1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
I can see it now, a contest for the gayest Aquaman level

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have been so turned off by this game and havent touched it in months now. MM has nickel & dimed people to the point now that, if for some reason you wanted to own ALL of the content in the game, it would cost you well over $200...and that's just for silly costumes, props to make your own crappy levels, and a few short levels imitating other games.

Now they want to sell water? Who is behind this move? Aquafina?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/17025327

I have been so turned off by this game and havent touched it in months now. MM has nickel & dimed people to the point now that, if for some reason you wanted to own ALL of the content in the game, it would cost you well over $200...and that's just for silly costumes, props to make your own crappy levels, and a few short levels imitating other games.

Right on man! I just hate it when I buy an amazing, full-featured game and then the developers continue to support it with additional content. And then they have the nerve to give us free stuff too just to confuse us.

And now this water thing on top of it all?! I mean sure, it looks pretty amazing and adds a whole new dimension to the game, but come on! When MM made that huge announcement that we have buy it and the ridiculous price they're going to charge, well my blood started to boil. This calls for boycotts and petitions right away.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George /forum/post/17025725

Right on man! I just hate it when I buy an amazing, full-featured game and then the developers continue to support it with additional content. And then they have the nerve to give us free stuff too just to confuse us.

And now this water thing on top of it all?! I mean sure, it looks pretty amazing and adds a whole new dimension to the game, but come on! When MM made that huge announcement that we have buy it and the ridiculous price they're going to charge, well my blood started to boil. This calls for boycotts and petitions right away.

It's my opinion that LBP is a nice physics engine but far from an amazing game. It was fun while it lasted but it was difficult to impossible to find good user levels via the internet to play on. And even if you could find one you'd get to try 30 more ****** levels that some creativity-starved 40 year olds put together and published. Have things got better? I don't know. I've been a long time Valve fan and own most of their games so maybe I've just become accustomed to getting NEW content with FREE updates where MM is offering to SELL me tools to MAKE my own content. If Valve announced that they'd start charging nominal fees for these updates I'd gladly pay since I KNOW that what I am getting is not just some "stickers" and a few new costumes.

If you enjoy it then good for you.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/17025327

All that stuff is cosmetic and you can still play all the levels, right? (Besides the map packs)

So whats the problem?

If you want to own every stupid costume, it's your prerogative; but as to why it's a bad idea for them to make unlimited variations of stuff and sell them for nickels you got me scratching my head. My guess is you will be able to play others water levels, just not use it to build unless you buy the "water pack", which undoubtedly contains new LBP stamped levels. To use a Valve analogy, it would be like paying for Episode 1 or 2 to get access to the new props and optimizations to the source engine that were used in them. granted, water is fundamental in most games off the bat, but I don't fault them if they didn't think of adding it in till later when they were brainstorming ways to keep the game fresh and support it.

Do you get mad because you can't own everything every time you step into a mall?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII /forum/post/17025996

All that stuff is cosmetic and you can still play all the levels, right? (Besides the map packs)

So whats the problem?

If you want to own every stupid costume, it's your prerogative; but as to why it's a bad idea for them to make unlimited variations of stuff and sell them for nickels you got me scratching my head. My guess is you will be able to play others water levels, just not use it to build unless you buy the "water pack", which undoubtedly contains new LBP stamped levels. To use a Valve analogy, it would be like paying for Episode 1 or 2 to get access to the new props and optimizations to the source engine that were used in them. granted, water is fundamental in most games off the bat, but I don't fault them if they didn't think of adding it in till later when they were brainstorming ways to keep the game fresh and support it.

Do you get mad because you can't own everything every time you step into a mall?

All I am getting at is if they want to sell content why not make it useful content? I havent paid a penny for any of the costumes or stickers they're shoveling out and I dont have any interest in them. I DO have interest in new worlds/levels that don't suck though. It is great to see some sort of support continue a year later but it's support that I don't have interest in. I buy games to play, not to make. When I start getting paychecks from MM I will make levels for them...probably on par with 90% of the garbage that is published now...

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
The good thing about all the add-on costumes is that if you don't find them useful, you don't have to purchase them.

We haven't purchased a single add-on, but it's still my 11 year old daughter's go-to game. She loves the online levels, and plays co-op with her cousin who lives 60 miles away just like he's in the same room.

So be glad they aren't useful, because you don't have to buy them. If they were hitting us for $6 every month or two to add features, that'd add up. I certainly have spent a lot more on Rock Band than LBP.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/17026237

All I am getting at is if they want to sell content why not make it useful content? I havent paid a penny for any of the costumes or stickers they're shoveling out and I dont have any interest in them. I DO have interest in new worlds/levels that don't suck though. It is great to see some sort of support continue a year later but it's support that I don't have interest in. I buy games to play, not to make. When I start getting paychecks from MM I will make levels for them...probably on par with 90% of the garbage that is published now...

Well, I guess it's just not your type of game.

I'm happy that they went the route they did and made levels user made and free, and the gimmicky stuff to personalize you experience the stuff you could buy at your own discretion. I'm sure they could come up with a better system to push good levels to the top, as there is always a lot of chaff in the wheat when it comes to community supported games; but that's nothing new.

Personally, I think all nickel and dime content should be cosmetic and not effect or change the core gameplay, just as they do in LBP.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I've had no interest in LBP DLC either, as much as I enjoyed the game. While I liked the idea of the MGS4 level pack, I didn't get it as it just didn't seem worth $6 for one level and bunch of stickers and costumes based on a game I have no interest in.

What I would like to see (and would pay for) is a new "curator" level pack that includes three fully realized levels based around a certain theme, like ancient Greece/Rome/Persia (not another popular game, however) and also includes 3-4 "challenge" levels. $10 would be a good price point for me; however, since MM has proven the ability to get $5 for a collection of costumes and stickers, a real multi-level pack would probably be priced closer to $20. I think they should have timed the relase of something like this to the release of the GOY edition.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Didn't MM poll peeps who actually play the game if they wanted more tools or more levels made by them?

This the end result of that. MM was ready to give you more levels but apparently LBP fans rather make their own.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG /forum/post/17028394

I would rather them "nickel and dime" people to keep getting an income off of the same game rather than come out with LBP 2, 3 and 4.

At least the user has an option to buy or not buy the add-ons.

I would gladly buy LBP 2, 3, and 4 as long as they provided an equally rich and deep gaming experience as LBP1, with some fresh ideas and maybe a real story. Now that the Lego series is getting a little tired, I'd love to see a high-quality family-friendly multiplayer (with local co-op) platformer emerge as a new franchise.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster /forum/post/17028340

While I liked the idea of the MGS4 level pack, I didn't get it as it just didn't seem worth $6 for one level and bunch of stickers and costumes based on a game I have no interest in.

It's 5 levels, plus a challenge level. It's worth it for the Paintinator tool alone in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts