AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Money's tight and I'm looking for a game that's going to yield a ridiculous amount of playtime. LittleBigPlanet immediately came to mind but I'm not really big on the idea of making my own levels. I've seen what people have done in the level creator and it's some pretty awesome stuff but I can't help but wonder: How long is the basic gameplay going to hold my interest? At some point am I just going to say "Alright, I've had enough sidescrolling, time to hang it up" or is the community keeping things fresh so I'll always have something new to check out?

My other option would be Valkyria Chronicles which appears to be right up my alley but there's a finite amount of content there (about 60 hours from what I understand).

Either way I'm going to pick both of them up in the long term but I need something that's going to last me a while until I get a job (which could be in two weeks or six months).

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles is my pick for Game of the Year 2008.

I just finished the main storyline and achieved an 'A' Rank on every chapter (18 in all).

My game stats show a total playtime of 26hrs. That does not include the bonus skirmish battles (which I haven't played though) of which there are about 10-11.

When you finish the game, you get new options like the option to browse the ingame soundtrack playlist, as well as a few hidden characters and a 'Hard Difficulty' for the Skirmish Battles. This game has tons of replay value, although no online multi-play.

It doesn't have PSN trophies, but it has Dualshock rumble support. And you have the choice to play it through using the original Japanese dialog with english subtitles. Very cool feature.

I think Valkyria will easily give you a serious amount of playtime. That would be my choice.

But I think you should get LBP at some point down the road, if just for the fact that its an amazing game everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Lbp.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
LBP is just a rental if you dont plan on making your own levels and putting lots of time into that aspect.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 /forum/post/15478753

LBP is just a rental if you dont plan on making your own levels and putting lots of time into that aspect.

BS.

Playing the story levels alone, co-op online, in between you play user levels solo or online...

You can spend 50 hours easy and never touch the creation stuff.

The answer is LBP.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Ell bee pee......

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
We've gotten a ton of gameplay out of LBP, and the end is not in sight. That said, I'd say this is an "apples and oranges" comparison. I can see easily how someone that likes one might not like the other.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree, these are two totally different game genres. It might help if you tell us about your gaming background. Which games did you enjoy and how much play time did you get out of them?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well, Valkyria Chronicles sold something like 30K copies, so it will probably be both heavily discounted soon from the retailer side and possibly become very hard to find if you wait too long.

LBP sold much better (though not really blockbuster levels) and should be pretty easy to get for some time and may not see a price cut as Sony has been pretty slow to discount their "big" games. FWIW, neither of these games are showing up on goozex so folks are holding on to their copies.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/15479355

BS.

Playing the story levels alone, co-op online, in between you play user levels solo or online...

You can spend 50 hours easy and never touch the creation stuff.

The answer is LBP.

I disagree. I finished LBP in under 10 hours, have played a TON of other levels and have played with my wife, son and son-inlaw co-op and not hit 50 hours, or 30 for that matter. There are some gems for levels but really once you have played 50 levels you have seen 99.9% of what is there. Now I just logon to play recomended levels and a few of those are unique but I doubt I would ever hit 50 hours in LBP...

It was fun if a little frustrating, and its my first game to get the completion Trohpy so it was well worth playing, but I would be shocked if most people got much over 10 hours in it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm having fun with LBP. Tried to get the Wife into it but alas, her heart is still with Rock Band 2.

Reading the reviews of VC, it sounds like you MAY get more playtime out of that over the next few months, but long term I think folks will still be creating LBP levels for a while.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Not meaning to derail the thread, but if you are on a tight budget, there are some really good and cheap PSN titles that will keep you busy for a while. PixelJunk Monsters and SSHD come to mind.

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6878 /forum/post/15483066

How many people have played both games. i would like to hear from someone that played both.

pleayed valkyre demo...

i say fallout

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I'm currently on my 3rd playthrough on Valkyria. Once I finish it, I'll likely do a 4th one, using only lancers for added difficulty. It's that fun of a game

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmadness /forum/post/15481400

I agree, these are two totally different game genres. It might help if you tell us about your gaming background. Which games did you enjoy and how much play time did you get out of them?

Gaming background eh? I've been playing video games since Mario Bros. on the NES at age 5. I play basically every genre minus sports. I have a penchant for platformers, RPGs, and action/adventure titles. Either LittleBigPlanet or Valkyria Chronicles would be right up my alley and I know I'll love both. Like I said I will be buying both eventually. Right now though I need to know which is gonna give me more playtime while I'm between jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan C OSG /forum/post/15483714

pleayed valkyre demo...

i say fallout

Actually considered Fallout but I've borrowed and beaten it already and don't feel like revisiting it or exploring the rest of the wasteland for a while.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Im in love with VC right now. I even dreamt about playing it, something that hasnt happened since COD4 and R1 before that. The story is very mature and well delivered. The mini cutscenes called episodes that move the story are well done and can give you a lot of info in 2-3 cutscenes no longer than 1-2 mins each. I didnt see the option for japanese with english subtitles, but sounds cool. I loved FF tactics, but I might go as far to say that VC is a better game.

I own LBP and dont play it much. Once you've played the "great" user levels theres not much left IMO. I do like the music levels but thats just me sitting in a car listening to someone recreate "To Zanarkand"(which they did a good job of). I can only do that once in a while.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone /forum/post/15482888

I disagree. I finished LBP in under 10 hours, have played a TON of other levels and have played with my wife, son and son-inlaw co-op and not hit 50 hours, or 30 for that matter.

Where do you find how many hours you've played? Also, for some reason all my play/create/share numbers are still 0, even though I've played all the story levels as well as a ton of user levels.

·
Registered
495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 /forum/post/15478753

Ha, I spent 2 hours last night trying to get a good score on the Ninja Warrior level.

If you think LBP is something you beat once and then never play again, then you just don't get platformers.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnmb /forum/post/15484607

Where do you find how many hours you've played? Also, for some reason all my play/create/share numbers are still 0, even though I've played all the story levels as well as a ton of user levels.

He's a troll, don't take the bait...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts