AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the Miami Dolphins buff the Bills a couple of days ago on ESPN, a "funny" (read: highly annoying) thing happened. I was watching the game about an hour behind "live," but I didn't know that at the time. I'd simply live-paused and then FF'd through so much of the game to get to where I was late in the fourth quarter.

The little blue indicator at the bottom read, "Live," and wouldn't allow me to FF anymore. "Great," I thought, "I'll just watch the last 4:50 of the game live." When a commercial break came, I switched channels to check the weather -- my Replay 5060 behaved as if it were live and allowed me to do so.

I was horrified upon switching back to ESPN a minute later for the conclusion of the "live" game, only to find SportCenter well underway.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I felt cheated, swindled, etc. by my 2-month-old Replay. It lied to me. The program WASN'T live (it even extended its deception to allowing me to change channels and unwittingly lose the buffered game in the process).

My unit is not a refurb. It had (and has) nearly 6 hours recording space remaining at medium-quality.

Any ideas, similar experiences, solutions?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sounds like you had completely filled the buffer, though I wouldn't expect it to behave exactly like it did... That's pretty much the only explanation I can come up with though.

Keep in mind that 6 hours at medium is only about 4 hours at high, which live is buffered at.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TimSH:

But wouldn't the unit delete the earliest parts of the game as I continued to watch, allowing me to FF/QS at will to the later parts if the buffer became full as I continued to FF/QS through the fourth quarter, rather than tell me the program was live?

And assuming that process takes some time, the unit had several minutes to clear some space -- I'd tried several times to FF/QS once it gave me the "Live" reading, suspecting I was not live, until it finally convinced me of the lie that it was "Live."

Just wondering in befuddlement...

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Well, when you switch channels, you lose the buffer anyway. So the only lie was the 'Live' notice when it wasn't. I've not seen this before, but you could have filled it up as Tim says.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like a bizarre software glitch. I've never seen anything like that before. Even if you completely filled the buffer, shouldn't it start recording over the oldest part of the buffer? How does that work?

If it makes you feel any better, you didn't miss much in the final 4:50. Let me summarize: Ricky Williams ran all over a tired and demoralized Bill's D, scoring a TD. The Bills got the ball back with 1:52 remaining. Bledsoe threw a lot of passes--mostly incomplete. Time ran out.

-Robbie

·
Registered
78 Posts
That happened to me once. I knew I was definitely about 15 minutes behind but it said live when I displayed the description box. I did it a few times bacause I absolutely knew I was watching delayed and couldn't believe that my 5040 was displaying "Live." I jumped forward 15 minutes and then back to where I had been and it fixed the display. It was really weird though and after reading your story I'm really glad I knew where I was even if the RTV didn't.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's happened to me a few times in the past couple of weeks. My machine is far from full and each time I try to rewind the show the beginning of the buffer moved (deleting some previous part) and the picture got all stuttery - the "Live" display wouldn't let me move ahead. And unlike Selma - moving back did not fix it. I had to switch channels.

-em

·
Registered
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrwright
TimSH:

But wouldn't the unit delete the earliest parts of the game as I continued to watch, allowing me to FF/QS at will to the later parts if the buffer became full as I continued to FF/QS through the fourth quarter, rather than tell me the program was live?

And assuming that process takes some time, the unit had several minutes to clear some space -- I'd tried several times to FF/QS once it gave me the "Live" reading, suspecting I was not live, until it finally convinced me of the lie that it was "Live."

Just wondering in befuddlement...
In theory, it should. I can't say that I've ever actually knowingly filled the buffer while I had it paused or was watching delayed though...

Sounds like a bug to me. Just out of curiosity, did you press "return to live" at all, or were you just trying to qs/ff? As I say, it shouldn't have acted the way it apparently did, but then again, it should never crash/hiccup, etc...

·
Registered
248 Posts
This has happened to me also (5040). I did a fair amount of qs/ff, but didn't hit the return to live key until after it was confused. Like others, the only way I got out of it was changing channels and clearing the buffer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TimSH:

I never hit the "Return to Live" key. I had no desire to return to live so abruptly. I was simply FF/QS through the buffered garbage between plays to watch the actual game action, when the machine told me I was watching live television when in fact I was not.

leesweet:

The reason I said the Replay continued its deception by allowing me to change channels and lose the buffered game is because my machine, a 5060, will not allow me to change channels when watching buffered programming without first throwing out a message bar alerting me to the fact that I'm not watching live programming and prompting me to press "Select" to continue with the channel change. Well, when the incident in question occurred Sunday night, I didn't get that little warning message. Even though I wasn't watching live programming.

Sum: first I got the false "Live" status, then Replay allowed me to change channels as if live, continuing its initial deception.

Also, I realize I lose the buffered program when I change channels. It's just that I didn't know there was any buffer to lose, since the Replay was telling me the program was live! And when it didn't throw out the "Select" prompt at the channel change, that "confirmed" the lie.

I wouldn't have even tried changing channels if the Replay hadn't lied and told me the program was live -- I'd have simply FF/QS through the commercials as I'd been doing up to that point. But the Replay would no longer permit that, remember. It said the program was live. And then it allowed me to change channels without the blue alert. It shouldn't have, bug or full buffer be cursed.

Others:

Thanks for sharing. Misery loves company. Robbie: thanks for the game update.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Yep, got it. The first lie led to others. :) Since this is relatively (totally?) unknown problem, I can't say it's even being worked on for future releases, but you might try to duplicate it when 5.1 comes out. (On something you don't mind losing the buffer on, of course!)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Never count on the buffer for a sporting event should be the lesson here. It's odd behavior to be sure, I'm not sure why you got a "live" when you weren't live.

But if you want to watch a whole football game, record it. I've learned that lesson too many times :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is it possible the error was due to the fact that the game ran long (I don't know if it did, but football often does) and the buffer messed up at the time the schedule guide THOUGHT the game should end? Not sure exactly how this would happen, but somewhere in the fuzziness of my brain I remember something weird happening a long time ago when I was watching something delayed and ff'd to the point the channel guide thought the show ended. I don't remember exactly what happened, though. Just a thought.

j

·
Registered
196 Posts
Same thing happened to me last weekend, ironically, during the football game. I was watching in the 3rd qtr, and the RTV showed "Live." I didn't believe it, cause it was nearly 1PM (when the games usually end), but I assumed it was correct. Well, not wanting to watch commercials, I got up to surf the internet for a bit, and whamn, on my homepage, there's the FINAL score of the game I was watching!!! Dammit!!!

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
As Justin says, the best bet is to record it. Pad the end if you need to, to ensure you get it all, and then it shouldn't mess up, as it knows it's committing it to a disk file, not just buffering. You can let it start itself, also, and jump back to the beginning and save a lot of time that way!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last night, it happened again. This time, it was baseball.

I paused the very beginning of the Florida-Chicago game, 8p ET. When I came back at 9:30p to view and tried to QS beyond the opening credit nonsense, my 5060 displayed "Live" in the blue corner and treated the game as if it were live, not permitting any advance.

Unlike the Miami-Buffalo football game problem that prompted me to start this thread, I knew what I was in for this time. My only recourse to get out of the delay was to switch channels but lose the buffer, so I changed channels and changed right back, arriving at the 5th inning.

My unit had nearly seven hours' space free at medium quality, which should've been more than sufficient for 1.5 hours of game time even at high (buffer) grade.

Well-meaning advice to record sporting events notwithstanding, this was baseball, and as last night's extra-inning affair demonstrated, the clock is meaningless for recording purposes. Besides, I SHOULD be able to do this. The ability to "Live Pause" successfully is, after all, one of the product's PRIMARY selling points...

Experts/Replay Reps: any idea(s) what might be causing these false live readings I'm getting when attempting to QS/FF through buffered programs? I'm stumped.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had a false live a couple weekends ago when watching a football game too (WHILE it was recording). In my head I thought I was about 15 minutes behind; after a QS it said I was caught up to live so I thought I had accidentally pressed 'return to live' rather than QS (easy to do with my programmable remote). Not paying particular attention to the game clock or the replaytv's time indicators, I quickly and very haphazardly rewound/ir'ed/qs'ed, etc. and found the spot where I had previously been. This was when I realized I had indeed not really caught all the way up to live at all, but really was still about 15 minutes behind.

From this point, however, I was able to advance through the remaining time as I normally would until I caught up to *real* live. So beyond momentary confusion it was not a serious problem (the difference between your experience and mine may have been that I was recording what I was watching).

As Justin advises, regardless of any software bugs there may be (I've never had a crash, lockup, etc. in the month I've had the 5000), I never trust the live buffer to anything I really want to watch. It's just too easy to lose the buffer. For example, power outage, accidentally hitting the 'power' button or otherwise fat-fingering the remote, scheduled or theme recording, etc. This includes sporting events, which I typically pad by 15-45 minutes depending on channel and propensity to overrun (although I do not watch baseball, which I realize has the tendency to run WAAAY long, unlike college football, where it's much more rare).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.