AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know how long this link will last. I just got this link in Email warning me to "update my account". It takes you to a site that looks like Ebay but isn't so they can steal your user ID. Most of you guys have heard/seen this one before.

Let's give these jerks some (phony) passwords. I think it would be good if we make then look real so they get to waste some time trying them - if you just type in an obscene user id and password they'll know it's someone that's on to them and ignore them.

http://www4.ehard.co.kr/ebayupdate.cgi/LOGIN.HTM

Cross posted in the digital forum.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Make sure to check out the info they ask for once you enter your Ebay user I.D. and password!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
QQQ

(thanks) after you enter your false user name and pass word they

want you to up date your credit and debit card info

i wonder how many fall for this scam

thanks to post like this there will be a few less

XANATOS

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Well some scammers aren't as dumb as dirt I guess. It looked pretty real.

Scary

All they missed is spoofing the address line to make it appear you are actually on *********.

Troy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Got the same email 'bout a week ago... So I filled it out and now all my money and credit is gone...DOH!

Actually I forwarded the email to ebay, then I filled out the form with nonsense info.

Hey Troy, the screen looks great!! Jaw dropping abounds here in Lawrence, Ks.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'd be curious to know what legal actions, if any, will result. It looks like this scam is being run overseas.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Jef, great.

what pj are you driving that big thing with? (10'x10' stewart electriscreen)

Troy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Troy:

Using an NEC GT2150 LCD 2500 lumen 1366x1024 pixel, looks very impressive, though not as good as my XG at home, got it from deronmoped. Purchased the PJ new w/optional lens for $2700 shipped. Everyone who has seen it thinks it's the best they've seen anywhere in town (I would agree!). Turns out it is a 4:3 150" screen.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Ah, well I never did have room to roll it out.

2500 lumen... well that'll do it allright. Sounds like a low price for such high res.

Troy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah, it was a HUGE liquidation auction, some AV company went out of business. Must of had 2-3 thousand pj's both used and new. There were over 12K items auctioned over 4 days. Actually had 3 or 4 NEC XG's and about the same number of Barco CRT's. Wish I had more money to spend at the time as some of the gear went for too low. Though some of the stuff went ridiculously high! The NEC GT I purchased sells for about 7k today.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
I got that scam email. Recognized it for what it was right away, too.

In less than ten minutes I'd run a reverse DNS lookup, tracked down the ISP's contact number, and was on the phone talking to their chief about this felony in progress. He replied that he was aware of this particular issue and that the miscreant was heading for some very big trouble, very soon. He implied that a Three Letter Agency (possibly F, B, and I) would be knocking on somebody's door with a hot, fresh-off-the-bench warrant in hand very shortly.

I happily forwarded my copy of the fraudulent email to the ISP to add to their evidence file.

I'm not the kind to just delete something like that and leave it to others to handle it. No, I'll put a little effort into tracing the source and at least try to bring the wrath of god down on them. It'll be a phishing expedition that ends in tragedy when the shark eats the phisher's boat.

CJ

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'd pay good money to see an episode of Cops, only call it Feds, where a bunch of bad ass agents packin' .357 Mags kick down the door to some pimple faced 17 year-old scammer and ***** slap his ass until he ****s himself. Fox, get on it! It's what America demands for their prime time entertainment, not 40 year-old friends living together like NBC thinks! Wahoo!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pcCinema
Well some scammers aren't as dumb as dirt I guess. It looked pretty real.

Scary

All they missed is spoofing the address line to make it appear you are actually on *********.

Troy
Actually it's quite simple to do. I spoofed a CNN page once to pull a joke on a friend of mine, made it look like his car accident ended up in the news :) All it involved was saving a real news article from CNN to the hard drive, adding a base href tag so all the links and image tags pointed back to CNN then changing the article text to what I wanted :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.