AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured out how to deliver LIVE HDTV at 1920 x 1080p using an HTPC. I'm talking about deinterlacing LIVE 1080i High Definition TV. I know one can scale a DVD or even pre recorded HDTV to 1920 x 1080p, but has anyone figured out how to watch live 1080p HD?

Thanks.

Ed

·
Registered
603 Posts
I don't think there are any cards that can input 1080i. Also isn't it transferred over the pci bus? If so the pci bus doesn't have nearly enough bandwith for that.

Tom

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom,

If the uncompressed data is transfered over the PCI bus, I think you are right. If the data remains compressed and is sent to a PCI video card for processing, then I think there is enough bus bandwidth. If the data is decompressed on the CPU and sent to an AGP Video card - there should be enough AGP 4x bandwidth (?).

Ideally, the tuner card would talk directly to an on-card graphics chip and the data stream would be, at least partially, processed on card and there would be no need to transfer uncompressed data streams over the PCI bus.

I'm not sure why it has not been done. A lot of people have different potential explanations. I was hoping someone "in the know" would have the answer.

Ed

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Ed,

I believe I already answered that question for you in a different thread. :)

There are at least two ways of watching live 1080p HDTV with HTPC:

1) 169Time DTC100 firewire to the PC (This is what I use)

2) Samsung T165 firewire to a DVHS firewire to the PC (Others have had good results with that)

#1 works because 169Time emulates a DVHS machine. In #2 you have to have a DVHS machine in the middle (just for passing the live signal through) since XP comes with drivers for DVHS, but not for ATSC tuners.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
leszek1,

Thanks for the reply. I am still trying to figure out how to do this "On an HTPC" with out the use of an external device such as 169time or D-VHS recorder. It seems like one should be able to do this from an HD tuner card completely on a PC.

Maybe the next generation HiPix? Does anyone know when the next gen. HiPix will be released?

Ed

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Ed,

I believe many people are waiting for cheap, tuner only cards to be offered, without any of the hardware decoding overhead. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.