AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm lost here. I have a Fusion HDTV II card in my desktop.. and I have a notebook with an 802.11g wireless network..

Does anyone know what software I could use that would allow me to watch live HDTV over the wireless network?

I've tried xcaster, but I can not seem to get the graphedit for the Fusion to work.

Thanks,

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did look at VLC.. But that required some sort of Directshow routine..

Xcaster was supposedly a program that would multicast HDTV to clients such as VLC..

Does anyone know how I would use graphedit to capture a TP from fusion? If I could get that to work, then Xcaster would work.

· Premium Member
13,810 Posts
You can only get it to work if you are constantly recording, and if the file you are recording to supports open reads. VLC works for instance with MyHD timeshifting files.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Madpoet,

Thanks for that suggestion. I tried that a year ago and it didn't work because back then Fusion locked files... But things might have changed..Or the files fusion generates when timeshifting might be open..

I'm not sure. but I will find out!

thanks!

· Premium Member
13,810 Posts
I don't know if the Fusion files are open now or not, sorry. But hopefully you can find out for yourself. I thought I remembered that they were going to open them up at one point.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just checked...

FusionHDTV still locks its record files.

Got All Media, however, doesn't... So VLC does play it's files, although not very well.. If I seek forward, it closes..

I guess this is a good start.. Now I can work on the network and getting the notebook

· Registered
288 Posts
TSreader supports streaming HDTV over a network. The only problem is you need a tuner that's supported by it. The Sasem OnAir usb is supported by TSreader. However, I don't believe the fusion is supported. In fact there are very few OTA HDTV tuner cards currently supported by TSreader. Anyway, I use TSreader to stream live HDTV from my OnAir usb over the network to my Roku Photobridge.

As for wireless network connections, I don't think we currently have wireless networking technology with enough bandwidth to make this feasable. At a minimum you generally need a wired 100Mbit connection and it probably doesn't hurt to have a gigabit connection.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I thought I heard of someone who got it to work on a wireless network. I'm not sure. I suppose I'm about to find out.

If it doesn't work, I guess I could use a really long cable..

TSreader looks like a really neat program.. Too bad I have a Fusion..

· Registered
3,325 Posts
802.11g could very well be fast enough to stream HD. It all depends on your signal strength and how much noise there is. Only way to know is try. Try sending a huge file over the network and monitor the throughput.

· Registered
60 Posts
I upgraded my wireless network specifically to try to watch HDTV (.ts from Myhd card) files throughout the house.

On my Dell 700m with 802.11g, it can't quite keep up and stutters too often to make it watchable.

I should try this again going from my desktop to my HTPC because they both have 802.11g high speed mode cards, which is supposedly to allow up to 125mbs speed.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, here's how it went.

I setup an 802.11g network..

I used GotAllMedia to record an HDTV channel.. Then used VideoLan as a server to stream the file over the network (while it is being recorded)

On the notebook, I used VideoLan as a client.

Unfortunately, a) it records the file and b) moving around the seekbar makes the video stop and start over from the beginning of the recorded file.. pause works though.

Not exactly an elegant or seamless solution, but at least it works. The video playback is pretty smooth and flawless on a P-m 1.6ghz.

Next I am going to try sharing the file over a network share and playing it directly using VLC without a server.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.