AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I'm looking to compliment my new 70' 4k TV in the LR. I have 3.1 Klipsch Reference towers/center right now and looking to expand the listening experience. The LR is pretty much surrounded by block walls except for the kitchen, in wall, wall mounted, or pole surrounds are not a option (per Wife) so in ceiling is the only option. The left side has a loveseat and couch on right sits 12' from tv and the chair in the middle sits 15' from tv. I have the Denon 2200w which gives me the option of 5.1, 7.1 or 5.1.2, so based on what I'm working with here and also my limitations what would be my best setup for 70% movies, 20% music, and 10% games? I understand everyone is different but opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot in advance!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
If you can't have on wall, in wall or stand mounted speakers, you're best option would be either 3.1.2 or 3.1.4. You should consider moving you MLP up to no more than 10-12 feet ( closer if possible )from your screen to give you a better sound stage.
Any sub(s) in the mix?

Reactions: deemac76

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can't have on wall, in wall or stand mounted speakers, you're best option would be either 3.1.2 or 3.1.4. You should consider moving you MLP up to no more than 10-12 feet ( closer if possible )from your screen to give you a better sound stage.
Any sub(s) in the mix?
Thanks for the reply but If understand you correctly I can achieve a atmos environment with a 3.1.x setup? I was under the assumption that atmos was a minimum of 5.1.x. Even though the chair/love seat will be occupied, I'm basing the proposed in ceiling speaker configuration on the chair in the middle of the living room which will be the MLP in the room. Yes I also have a sub with the upfront stage. The ceiling are 10ft in that area btw. Thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks for the reply but If understand you correctly I can achieve a atmos environment with a 3.1.x setup? I was under the assumption that atmos was a minimum of 5.1.x. Even though the chair/love seat will be occupied, I'm basing the proposed in ceiling speaker configuration on the chair in the middle of the living room which will be the MLP in the room. Yes I also have a sub with the upfront stage. The ceiling are 10ft in that area btw. Thanks
Atmos is very versatile. There is no reason you couldn't do 3.1.4, which is the way I would set it up also, if in-ceiling were the only option).

In fact, there is a 3.1.4 Klipsch/Onkyo set-up for sale on Amazon right now:
https://www.amazon.com/Dolby-Atmos-Klipsch-Speakers-TX-NR1030/dp/B013UFCGKS

Also if you don't have a subwoofer, you should get a couple.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok wow I just learned something, didn't know that was possible. I have those same Klipsch speakers for the front stage now!! Now with running that setup instead of the traditional 5.1/7.1, how will this setup work with non atmos tracks/regular TV? My Denon have upmixing/downmixing capabilities (if thats what its called) so I think it can send sound to those speakers in a surround environment. Also how would that configuration be in the ceiling compared to a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4? Would it be the same just without the rear surrounds I assumed? I really appreciate the responses everyone. Thanks

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Ok wow I just learned something, didn't know that was possible. I have those same Klipsch speakers for the front stage now!! Now with running that setup instead of the traditional 5.1/7.1, how will this setup work with non atmos tracks/regular TV? My Denon have upmixing/downmixing capabilities (if thats what its called) so I think it can send sound to those speakers in a surround environment. Also how would that configuration be in the ceiling compared to a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4? Would it be the same just without the rear surrounds I assumed? I really appreciate the responses everyone. Thanks
I like the dolby upmix. I'm only using 2 height channels in my set-up though, I leave it on for all sources ( tv,computer, xbox ). I Have to set my sources sound modes to stereo though. I'm sure it'll sound great with 4 properly set-up ceiling speakers. Many members are happy with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I agree with your point. I will doing the 4 in ceiling speakers but I haven't yet nailed down the configuration yet. Now I thinking what size to go with either 6.5 or 8s? Any thoughts on size differential? I guess if I went with 8s I could always tone them down a bit if they were too much. Looking at the Klipsch 5800.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Yeah I agree with your point. I will doing the 4 in ceiling speakers but I haven't yet nailed down the configuration yet. Now I thinking what size to go with either 6.5 or 8s? Any thoughts on size differential? I guess if I went with 8s I could always tone them down a bit if they were too much. Looking at the Klipsch 5800.
8's will give you a little more range extension down to ( according to specs ) 40hz vs 60hz for the 6.5's. These are ambiance speakers and you have a sub so 6.5 should be plenty if budget is a factor, if not get the 8's. A second sub maybe something you should consider, unless WAF factors have already vetoed that option.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes sir I agree with you 100%, it makes no sense to grab the 8s for ambiance sound. I'll get the 3650 6 1/2" speakers and use the extra savings and get another sub. Thanks pase22 for your replies!!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Looks like everyone is already helping with Dolby Atmos.

Given your setup, dual subs could help as well to "expand your listening experience." When well placed, dual subs have the benefit of producing a smoother frequency response through a wider seating area and can give the room a fuller bass sound. Given your seating areas are opposite sides of the room, definitely might help.

If this sounds interesting, what sub (make/model) do you have right now?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah cel4145 having two subs in my LR is a must from what I gathered. I got the speakers ordered but after reading thread after thread, going with 4 ceiling speakers are a must due to my LR constraints. The configuration is what in question for me, I want to cut these holes on time. I know with any 4 in ceiling config (5.1.2 or 7.1) the AVR upmixing will send sound to all speakers, but the uprising of Atmos I'm thinking the 5.1.2 instead of 7.1 is the way to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts