AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird living room that won't be the main HT (after I finish the basement in a few months or so), so the ultimate in performance isn't what I'm after.

I already have in-walls for the fronts and rears, but no center channel. To avoid another 'box' in the room, I'm thinking about just using the TV (KL-W9000, speakers better than most TVs) as the center channel and wondering if others have gone this route.

Basically, just run a cable from the center channel pre-out on the receiver to the audio inputs on the TV.

Any caveats? I'm concerned about matching the volume with the rest of the speakers.

·
Registered
904 Posts
my guess is that should work, as long as the pre outs on your receiver have volume control. you would need to level match the volume of the tv with your normal listening volume on the rest of the speakers, afterwards the level should follow reasonably close to the volume of the receiver.

although you're not looking for the "ultimate in performance", I would still be concerned with how different the TV speakers may sound compared to the rest of the system. since the center channel is the most used and carries the burdon of dialogue, it can be very apparent when it is outmatched by the rest of the system.

jake

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Your front stage will most likely suffer from this approach.. Panning "won't" be seamless. I wouldn't use your tv's speaker for the center channel. Bad idea IMO.

- Chip

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
You would be MUCH better off just using your two main speakers and selecting a "phantom center channel" than using your TV's speakers.

Using your mains as all three front channels can sound great and has several advantages...

Robert

·
Registered
29,535 Posts
Back in my poverty days, I used my TV as a centre channel with OK results. Of course it didn't sound like 3 matched speakers across the front, but hey I kinda knew that going in. ;-) Personally, I think it's worth having a discrete centre channel vs a phantom centre.

At the time I had 2 pairs of cheapie speakers that I used for mains & rears. The result sounded like I was listening to an enhanced version of my TV. The bulk of the sound came from the centre (TV speakers), except that the front soundstage sounded wider and I heard the occasional Pro-Logic surround effect. For what the crappy little set-up was, it didn't sound like the horror I was expecting it be; especially 'cause I tried to keep the other speakers subtle.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work: no loss. If it does work and sounds reasonable, then great! Your ears will let you know either way.

Sanjay

·
Registered
322 Posts
I set my brother's system up that way - disconnected the tv speakers from the tv amp by simply sliding apart a couple of connectors - ran a wire in the back - better than phantom channel - the dialog stays in the middle of the tv even when you are sitting to the side.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Satisfied my curiosity last night and set this up. It sounded great! I ran the center channel preout into the TV's LEFT input... so I need a Y-cable. But it sounded fine. I did need to adjust the TV's volume every now and then, but no big deal. Actually nice because sometimes with regular 5.1 the center volume is way too low IMHO.

·
Registered
29,535 Posts
Quote:
Actually nice because sometimes with regular 5.1 the center volume is way too low IMHO.
That's why I prefer a hard centre to a phantom centre. Glad it worked out.

Sanjay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.