AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I posted about a week ago about building a system for my living room/family room/den (whatever it's called now).

Here's what I'd like to do with what I've researched and learned (but still have more to learn obviously).

Denon X4000 AVR

Philharmonic 3 Fronts

Niles ICS 7 rears surrounds (open concept with no walls and a kitchen behind the area).

Klipsch RW10 sub (that I already have)

Center: TBD

So what do you think?

also, what center to pair with the Philharmonics?

TIA,

Tony

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The AVR and especially speakers look good. But, ugh, using a klipsch 10" sub with Philharmonics. That is like frosting a delicious gourmet chocolate cake with sewage. Either lose the Klipsch sub or get a much better sub because the sub you have is worse than no sub at all. Also, the center must be voice matched with the fronts, this is the speaker you want for a center, I wouldn't get anything else to use as a center.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I was wondering that about the sub.  I think with my current budget I'd have to loose the sub for now.  Any tips for the sub?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins 99  /t/1519881/living-room-system-check-from-what-ive-learned-here#post_24409624

I was wondering that about the sub.  I think with my current budget I'd have to loose the sub for now.  Any tips for the sub?

Yeah, don't worry about it for now. Wait till you get the Phil 3's. They go down to 25hz.

If you still want a sub, go to subwoofer forum here.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I have to agree with everything shadyJ said.

Very nice set -up.

As far as a sub goes check out SVS,HSU & Rythmik.

Head over to the sub-woofer sub forum for suggestions.

Be forewarned....a bunch of serious bass heads over there!

Reactions: Tony Wilkins 99

·
Registered
2,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1519881/living-room-system-check-from-what-ive-learned-here#post_24409583

...the center must be voice matched with the fronts, this is the speaker you want for a center, I wouldn't get anything else to use as a center.

+1

Oft recommended subs here in the forum would include ...

- $500 range, the SVS PB-1000 (or SB-1000)

- $650 to $750 range: Then as grasshoppers mentioned, really any sub from SVS, HSU or Rythmik. The differences are minimal, they are all very good subs.

If you want to wait on a sub ... since you have a lower quality sub and the (excellent sounding) phils which, as already mentioned, go fairly deep on their own you might experiment with a lower-than-average crossover (maybe 60hz or 40hz). That way the sub will only be kicking in on the very low frequencies.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The SVS ultra 13 cylinder looks interesting.  Salk makes a Rythmik based sub series that I could match the veneer on the Philharmonics on.  Nothing jumped off the page on the HSU page.  In going back I did find a company called Power Sound that looks interesting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Have 2 quotes in hand from our installer.  Both feature the AT PB235 sound bar in the master and 3xNile CM7MP in the front and CM7FX for the surrounds. I don't know if I mentioned it but before but both have 2 speakers on our back porch.  Both have Elan HC4 system control with a handheld remote.

One has Denon X2000 receiver and griptek HDMI splitters (3-1 and 1-2) and is ~$6,500.  The other has a Denon X4000 and exchanges the un-needed matrix for an Elan amp to drive the two outside speakers.  That one runs ~$7,300.

Both have a day of labor and include hanging the TV's on the wall in the Master and Living room.

So what do you think?  I'm not wowed but I maybe that's what I can afford 

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins 99  /t/1519881/living-room-system-check-from-what-ive-learned-here#post_24413943

Have 2 quotes in hand from our installer.  Both feature the AT PB235 sound bar in the master and 3xNile CM7MP in the front and CM7FX for the surrounds. I don't know if I mentioned it but before but both have 2 speakers on our back porch.  Both have Elan HC4 system control with a handheld remote.

One has Denon X2000 receiver and griptek HDMI splitters (3-1 and 1-2) and is ~$6,500.  The other has a Denon X4000 and exchanges the un-needed matrix for an Elan amp to drive the two outside speakers.  That one runs ~$7,300.

Both have a day of labor and include hanging the TV's on the wall in the Master and Living room.

So what do you think?  I'm not wowed but I maybe that's what I can afford 

I thought you were gonna get the Philharmonic speakers????

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

That's what I want but we had an installer run some conduit and was going to come back and hang our televisions on the wall.  This is his quote.  Biggest Problem is that my wife likes it.

Even sadder is that now my wife is really sold on the AT sound bar and I just looked and a pair of Philharmonic monitors are cheaper.  Even Salk Wow1 monitors are just a couple hundred more that the sound bar.

Since we already have a Nest and Phillips Hue, I think a Logitech Harmony may suit us just as well as the Elan for a lot less.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins 99  /t/1519881/living-room-system-check-from-what-ive-learned-here#post_24413943

So what do you think?  I'm not wowed but I maybe that's what I can afford " src=" http://cdn.hometheaterforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.png " style="vertical-align:middle;">

I think you have turned backwards - and you are getting somewhat snow-balled.

Soundbars and in-ceiling s[eakers tend to be a poor compromise, and spending

that kind of money for that is a waste - and looks like you are over-spening on

the X4000.

Looks like the installers are going to make a good profit off you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Also, I must be thinking wrong. I can't figure out why I'd need a separate amp in the Denon X4000 if I'm driving a 5.1 in the main zone, a couple of speakers on the back porch, and HDMI out to the Television with a sound bar (driven off the tv as I understand it).  What am I missing?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1519881/living-room-system-check-from-what-ive-learned-here#post_24414536

I think you have turned backwards - and you are getting somewhat snow-balled.

Soundbars and in-ceiling s[eakers tend to be a poor compromise, and spending

that kind of money for that is a waste - and looks like you are over-spening on

the X4000.

Looks like the installers are going to make a good profit off you.

That's why I'm here - so I won't be taken advantage of.

What would you suggest instead of the Denon X4000?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins 99  /t/1519881/living-room-system-check-from-what-ive-learned-here#post_24414543

Also, I must be thinking wrong. I can't figure out why I'd need a separate amp in the Denon X4000 if I'm driving a 5.1 in the main zone, a couple of speakers on the back porch, and HDMI out to the Television with a sound bar (driven off the tv as I understand it).  What am I missing?

Nothing....maybe you can apply for a supervisory position

At your installers company.
Just joking.

I totally agree with what "zieglj01" has stated...major step backwards. Sorry.

I have heard similar set-ups (in-wall fronts) and was not very impressed.

My humble opinion...it's your home.

Reactions: Tony Wilkins 99

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins 99  /t/1519881/living-room-system-check-from-what-ive-learned-here#post_24414554

That's why I'm here - so I won't be taken advantage of.

What would you suggest instead of the Denon X4000?

The X2000 over the X4000 for what you are looking at - however, I would mainly re-think

your going backwards with the speakers - and also check on your installer profits.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1519881/living-room-system-check-from-what-ive-learned-here#post_24414653

The X2000 over the X4000 for what you are looking at - however, I would mainly re-think

your going backwards with the speakers - and also check on your installer profits.
There's definitely some profit involved when I went and checked his prices versus others online (and not ebay).  I'm sold on focusing on the speakers with our budget and Dennis Murphy has been very helpful.

If I'm not going with what the installer can get, then I'm open to more than just Denon.  Other suggestions beside the X2000?  Even in the Pre/pro realm?  I've been thinking about getting a turntable again for the first time since the 80's.  I'm also fascinated by tube amps.  Not sure I can afford everything up front but thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins 99  /t/1519881/living-room-system-check-from-what-ive-learned-here#post_24416855

Ordered my Philharmonic 3's today along with a Philharmonitor as the center.  So along we go.  Now I'm figuring out the sub.

Good thinking and choice - unless your ears are filled with wax - you should be in for a good adventure.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts