AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for recommendations on how to best approach my dilemma. I will start by explaining the equipment that I already have. This equipment was in a multi-use room at my last house and was designed and based off information/research done around 2010.

Current Main Equipment:
42" Panasonic Viera Plasma
Onkyo TX-SR876
SVSound 5.1 Speaker Package with a PB-2000 Subwoofer
All wired with 12 gauge wiring from Monoprice and keystones

I have since moved to a new house and have completely redone the house in the last two years. The area I am currently looking to "treat" is our living room space. It is an open floor plan with the kitchen and dining room being right next to the living room (see the attached pictures). The living room is used daily and will be used to watch TV, movies, blue rays, etc. I have started to check out televisions and I am really interested in the Sony x930e. I was also looking at pairing it with a soundbar potentially (perhaps the Sony ST5000). After thinking on this for a day and a half, I started wondering if I should use my SVSound speakers and subwoofer and upgrade my receiver instead of buying the soundbar. I may face some challenges with the sub placement, but I may be able to figure something out.

I am just looking for some thoughts, ideas, comments, concerns, etc. that may help me figure out the best approach. I am looking to at least by the television before the Super Bowl. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Well, with this being the dedicated theater section, I'm not so sure a room that's open to a kitchen/dining area classifies. Nothing the members in here do to their room will likely be applicable in that space. And without going in ceiling, I don't see how you'll get any surround speakers with that opening on the side unless you want to visually occlude part of it (which doesn't appear to be the direction you're going).

If you're looking for opinions on the 930e, there's a dedicated thread for that model. I personally own the 940e and was happy with it, but it's not edge-lit like the 930.

Oh, and wall-mount that TV when you get it...looks like the current one is on a stand.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
A receiver with surround sound speakers will generally get you much better sound than you will get from a sound bar. It is all about what you want out of it. If you want simple and unobtrusive, a sound bar fits those needs better.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Personal opinion, I think it looks a lot cleaner on a wall-mount than a stand and his room looks nice, so having a stealthy on-wall look would compliment.
Got it – makes sense in that regard, I guess. It just irritates me because everyone seems to put them way up freakin’ high on the wall, which it not conducive to comfortable viewing! Although the OP is sitting far enough back for that not to matter... :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts