AVS Forum banner

341 - 357 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
triple velvet from syfabrics.com comes highly recommended (Mississippi Man for example, who has done a lot of builds with a lot of different fabrics/velvets) - I bought it, but haven't installed it yet.
this is what I used comes out cheaper than JoAnns even with coupon. High quality stuff

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #343

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
Yep that is what will be behind it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
Ok. I have everything up and running. I'm finding out that my Onkyo 705 might be a little under powered to run my M&K 750 THX LCR and 550THX surrounds, also the bass from the v1250 is inadequate. I really want to wait to upgrade to a new Dolby Atmos compatible receiver but I hate buying new tech before the bugs are worked out of the first generation. So what should I do? I'm leaning towards getting a 2-3 channel amp to provide the needed power to my lcr. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Wraunch, love the room. Carpet is really nice, and of course you have excellent taste in speakers. I would look at getting multiple subs. I'm an SVS fan myself. I recommend sealed but some people love ported. I tried it and I just like sealed much better. A 3 channel amp from Emotiva would be great. Also try looking on Audiogon for a good deal on a nice 5 channel or 7 channel amp for your surrounds if you can swing it. If not, then the 3 channel from Emotiva will make a noticeable difference. Also, I would look at buying an SPL meter from Radio Shack if you don't have on already.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Time for an update. We have been enjoying the theater for a month now and it is quite awesome. I have had a few side projects like building a cabinet for my built in football display case and I recently finished my DIY most posters that will double as acoustic panels once I get some OC703.
Posters1.jpg
posters2.jpg
posters3.jpg

Reactions: Boomassiv and TMcG

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just dropping in to say well done on a great build.

We did our conversion of a basement room into a HT last year which included 8 DIY acoustic posters like yours. Those get more comments than anything else when friends come over.

Your KISS approach to the false wall and AT screen are exactly what I have in mind for our next upgrade (right now just projecting onto painted drywall). The spandex and surrounding velcro panels really look sharp and clean, and I bet the immersion factor is nice.

Rock on.

Reactions: wraunch

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
Thanks Red! I am going tomorrow to pick up my wet bar cabinets then all that will be left is to install them and the granite and build my bar seating behind the riser. The posters make a huge difference in the feel of the room. I haven't put OC703 behind any of them yet but I think I will get a pack of it to start experimenting with which ones need it or not. I also need to get some blank cover plate for my MA rack at some point.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Once I'm done I plan on detailing pics with prices paid for various things to really blow everyone's mind. This has been a 2 yr project but I have gotten some steals by taking my time.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
Ok, need some help configuring my rack. I know I need to swap the flat black panels with brushed ones but what else?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
@wraunch

My husband is nearing the final stages of finishing our basement HT and I've been stalking this forum and stumbled upon your set-up. If you don't mind could you send me some info?
1) Where did you end up ordering your carpet from?
2) Where did you get your Berklines from? We want reclining sofas and they are breaking the BANK!!!!

Thanks! Love your room!

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
@wraunch

My husband is nearing the final stages of finishing our basement HT and I've been stalking this forum and stumbled upon your set-up. If you don't mind could you send me some info?
2) Where did you get your Berklines from? We want reclining sofas and they are breaking the BANK!!!!

Thanks! Love your room!
craigslist and patience. I regularly see used theater recliners on craigslist for 50% off retail. Set up an alert at IFTTT so you'll be the first to know when they're listed.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #356 (Edited)
@wraunch

Thanks! Love your room!

Thanks Mama. It's been a long journey but we enjoy it. Are you in Raleigh? If not for the carpet you'll need to go to some higher end carpet stores in your area to get anything like this. I had a great deal through a contractor supply place called ProSource. I got it for about 1/3 of retail.

On the recliners I bought mine on close out from a local distributor is the only reason I was able to afford them. Patience is the key here. I literally would get on Craigslist daily for about a year and a half looking for stuff I knew I would need eventually. Then I stored it until I was ready to use it.

341 - 357 of 357 Posts