AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I concluded a long search by buying a JVC SX21. I added the Bravo D1 DVD and an ISCOII anamorphic lens.

I bought the PJ, Bravo and DVI cable off AVS. The lens was purchased off AVS member Noah Katz with the transaction completed in true filmic style - in a car park outside a movie theater in Redwood City this morning.

What about the projector then?

First off, I went through all the normal set up frustrations that were mainly driven by the Bravo.

I have the PJ balanced on books and table mats on top of a sewing machine table!!! I have not made any adjustments to the settings and have not yet used the ISCO II

I have the Bravo (which i really like) linked via a 6 metre cable set at DVI 720P. (is that correct?). This $179 DVD player PQ kills my $900 Sony 7700.

Last night my wife and I had a film festival. Well, to be honest, we watched sequences of DVD's for about three hours. We watched LOTR FOTR, Moulin Rouge, Le Grande Bleu, Bladerunner, MIB, To Catch a Thief and Aliens

Alison was shocked. She's been watching the CRT. "It's so bright, wow look at the color, gosh, you can see every pore on Nicole's face, it's so three dimensional" were all comments as she watched.

What I love

Out of the box - a revelation

Shockingly bright - in comparison with my CRT this lights up the house. Images are incredibly vibrant and bright.

Color - the Elton John Your Song and can-can sequences in Moulin Rouge are very telling. The DILA PJ produces a fantastically colorful image that brings the whole thing to life. in fact, we both thought this was better then we remember it at the cinema. This is this projectors big strength. i also looked at some pictures from my Canon G2. They were quite literally incredible. The detail and color were extraordinary. one shot of my friends cat is a standout.

Detail - I have a 100" screen. Screen door only becomes visible at 5-6 feet. At 12 feet the image is totally film like. Even Alison is suggesting we get a 120-130' screen. 1400x1050 with it's superior fill rate makes a BIG difference. I can only imagine what noah's lens is going to do!

What I need to work on

Contrast - the JVC does not excel in this area. It's good but not up to the DLP PJ's I have seen. The good news is that there are some solutions. masking is on the horizon. William Phelps will be phoned shortly and then i could make the effort to play with the settings :)

Noise - Compared with my CRT this is quiet. However, it's noisy by other digital PJ standards. I think I may need to work on this.

All that said...

My overwhelming thought is that no PJ is perfect. However, with this PJ I have a route to HT nirvana. It's just so detailed and does such an excellent job with color. It was interesting that my wife was not worrying about shadow detail or grey scale - she was just overwhelmed with the image.

I increasingly believe that color and detail are more important than shadow detail or contrast. I'm not saying that contrast is unimportant. The thing here is that while the JVC is clearly not as good as the DLP's in this area, it's not actually bad (and I like CRTs!!).

I guess that everything is a compromise at the end of the day.

I'll report back on each stage of the project:

add ISCOII

change PJ settings (anyone any advice)

buy HD Direct TV receiver

buy blinds for my windows

calibrate through William Phelps

build manual masking system

buy new PJ :)

Any suggestions are really welcome as this DILA newbie set sail

Recent JVCers, please join in and lets help each other out.

All the best

Rob

·
Registered
827 Posts
Would it be better to run 480p via DVI and let the PJ scale to native?

Anyone test this?

I'm very interested in your findings Rob, I have been looking at this projector as a solution for me recently.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Sounds great! I guess part of my enjoyment (of a G15) must come from having mediocre eyesight: I have to get within maybe two feet to see any sort of screendoor. DiLA is pretty wonderful! Art

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Congrat's on getting it up and running !

What screen do you have ?

"Free" has both a Firehawk & Silverstar, while I use a Da-Lite HCCV.

A grey screen will help in the perceived contrast department, as will an anamorphic lens. And be sure to experiment with a PLC on your projector to bring out the best in it.

- Andy

·
Registered
753 Posts
Rob

Glad to here you are happy and enjoying your new toy!!!!

Hypothetically; If you did not get headaches from DLP and had to do it all over again would you go this route?

Thanks John

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Rob,

I would suggest you see the SX-21 on a large firehawk screen to help with the black levels and contrast, before you make a decision about screen types. I think it is the best match for the SX21.

To decide whether to let the Bravo or the Sx-21 do the scaling, view Avia's Sharpness pattern under both circumstances. Whichever one does a better job with that pattern is the one that will do a better job on video. Pick up the last two copies of WSR. Greg Rogers reviews the D-1 and 931 in them, and explains how he uses the Sharpness pattern.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andy

I'm using my 100" Stewart Studiotek 130

I have wondered is a zero gain or grey screen may help

What is a DaLiite HCCV screen?

My understanding from Daniel is that the HCCV is 1.1 versus the Firehawk at 1.35

I can't imagine, with this brightness that i need more gain

That said, my view of brightness is relative to a 10 year old CRT :)

What is a PLC?

Rob

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by John Tuohy
Rob

Glad to here you are happy and enjoying your new toy!!!!

Hypothetically; If you did not get headaches from DLP and had to do it all over again would you go this route?

Thanks John

John

I was talking about this with Noah Katz yesterday.

The answer is no

Surprised?

The reason is simple. It's really hard to find a JVC and DLP PJ's like KKraigs Dwin TV3 and the InFocus 7200 produce wonderful images. I think I'd have never bothererd to have made the effort to find the DILA.

I'm very glad I did.

But beware. They are very different animals to DLP. Not everyone thinks they are better.

I do :)

Rob

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by arca
How was the shadow detail in Aliens?
Arca

Can't remember. By that time we had drunk a bottle of wine - were enjoying the movies and just sitting there open mouthed staring at our new toy. I was well gone past the critical evaluation poiont :)

I guess that's the way it should be. Forget the PJ and watch the movie !

I do remember when the 2 REL Stentor subs kicked in when Sigourney Weaver moved the loader step by step in the final confrontation :) We now have the RELs in the 2 back corners of our room with the sofas right next to tehm. Ye gods it was like one of the kids kicking the back of the sofa!

Rob

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by glenned
Rob,

I would suggest you see the SX-21 on a large firehawk screen to help with the black levels and contrast, before you make a decision about screen types. I think it is the best match for the SX21.

To decide whether to let the Bravo or the Sx-21 do the scaling, view Avia's Sharpness pattern under both circumstances. Whichever one does a better job with that pattern is the one that will do a better job on video. Pick up the last two copies of WSR. Greg Rogers reviews the D-1 and 931 in them, and explains how he uses the Sharpness pattern.
Thx

That's a good idea. I think i have the Joe Kane disc.

Have not used it in ages.

Convergence is happily now a thing of the past.

I hope

Rob

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Robert,

If you are sticking with a 100" diagonal screen, you should really look at the GrayHawk unless ambient light is a real issue (in which case the FireHawk may be a better choice). My opnion is that you should use as low a gain of screen as possible so long as the foot-lamberts are reasonably high.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Goods news the wait is over. The Bravo pushes the brights through DVI on allot of projectors. If you noticed the black bars of a 2.35 movie are very light you'll hv to lower your levels. Most projectors disable the basic user settings through DVI. If someone can help you find the service type RGB-brightness and RGB-contrast you can use these to get the contrast back.

To start I would run AVIA's moving black bars pattern and lower the RGB-brightness equally until the pattern is set correctly (left black bar disappears). Without having a calibration system I would stay away from the high end adjustments (The RGB-contrast). Better write down any stock numbers.

Lets hope William Phelps becomes available soon. If you didn't live in the boonies :) I'd hop over with my Colorfacts system. Anyway I'm off to Las Vegas for a week starting Sunday.

Enjoy

PS, doesn't anyone out there own the JVC and Bravo D1 that has a calibration system? If so pls post up your calibration numbers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Robert,

Be sure that when you share your experience you really helps lots of people, especially those like me, living in countries without much support or demos available. Thank you, and congratulations!

And in your opinion , the Infocus 7200 looks sharper than the JVC SX21 ? Or its just look different ?

Thanks again,

Rafael

·
Registered
86 Posts
Congrats on everything Rob. I can't wait to hear about the lens! You can't wait to get an HD signal into the SX21. I still can't believe how good HD material via Comcast looks. (I have the SX21 shooting at a 110" FireHawk...)

Cheers,

Kevin

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I would definitely get a grey screen and would go with the Firehawk if you go to a bigger size screen. This will definitely help with your blacks.

Rob is in a great situation in regards to William Phelps. they both live in Northern California and it should be easy for them to hook up.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I seem to recall that I had my brightness set to -1 when I had my Bravo hooked up. The color of my unit was dead on. I can't remember the rest of my settings because I am back to using my HTPC with my SDI RP82, which is more reliable than the Bravo and produces an equal or superior picture depending on source material.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.