AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to build a new subwoofer to replace my old one, I'm looking at the TC Sounds LMS-R 15" and the SoundSplinter RL-p18 drivers. I'll be starting with one sub (dual drivers though) and eventually when budget and time allows, adding a second.


The LMS-R and RL-p18 are about the same price, with the RL-p18 being slightly cheaper. Which of these 2 drivers will have the best SQ and most SPL? I would prefer the enclosure to be sealed, but I am ok with a ported enclosure as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20837929


The SoundSplinter RLp18 does not exist anymore unless you can find one used.



And you can't have any of mine!



The DIY community is suffering a depression on good sub drivers currently. If the LMS-R was the only other driver you are considering, well then... there ya go. Not sure if that is in stock either though.

They still have it listed on their website, have they just forgotten to remove it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20837946


They have no stock.


Here, read this thread from over at HTS.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...dsplinter.html


You'll see that I (and others) have been pinging them for stock for two years now. My last post and update was just this past month.


It sucks. I want another quad RLp18's.

Ah that sucks. If I managed to find a used pair, would they outperform the LMS-R?


I do have a relatively large room, that doesn't have much room gain. So I figure I'll probably end up needing multiple subs with either driver.
 

·
Bass Enabler
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
Imo, yes simply because they have much more displacement. Outperform can be disected a bit though so that really depends on your expectations. One thing the LMS-R has over the RLp18 is the exotic LMS motor/voicecoil system. The RLp uses a traditional overhung motor and voicecoil system but it does have anti-distortion measures taken into the design. I guess the LMS-R does too but the natural inductance (Le) is higher on the LMS-R so that should be taken into account but I wouldn't make that the deciding factor either.


Multiple subs is almost always a good idea. The LMS-R can fit in a decently small sized enclosure for what it can do.


How large is your room and how low do you want to extend in frequency?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
If I read your first post correctly about buying 2 LMS-R drivers you could spluge for a single LMS 5400. Only an additional $60 and add a second one later. Output would be a little less than the 2 15s, but it would not be a slouch by any means. The added benefit would be a smaller box size and knowning you got the best.



Unfortunately the LMS 5400s are out of stock at the moment, but I've been told they will get some late September.


It might be a little difficult locating some used RLP18s especially if down the road you would like to purchase more . I would suggest going drivers that are still available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20838052


Imo, yes simply because they have much more displacement. Outperform can be disected a bit though so that really depends on your expectations. One thing the LMS-R has over the RLp18 is the exotic LMS motor/voicecoil system. The RLp uses a traditional overhung motor and voicecoil system but it does have anti-distortion measures taken into the design. I guess the LMS-R does too but the natural inductance (Le) is higher on the LMS-R so that should be taken into account but I wouldn't make that the deciding factor either.


Multiple subs is almost always a good idea. The LMS-R can fit in a decently small sized enclosure for what it can do.


How large is your room and how low do you want to extend in frequency?

It's 30x25x10, but the walls are sloped. I attached a picture to show what I mean. There is a stairwell in the back of the room opened to the downstairs. I'm working on treatments too (that's another story).


As far as output, I'd like to hit at least reference levels down to 20Hz, though I would like to go lower if I could.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTTU /forum/post/20838082


If I read your first post correctly about buying 2 LMS-R drivers you could spluge for a single LMS 5400. Only an additional $60 and add a second one later. Output would be a little less than the 2 15s, but it would not be a slouch by any means. The added benefit would be a smaller box size and knowning you got the best.



Unfortunately the LMS 5400s are out of stock at the moment, but I've been told they will get some late September.


It might be a little difficult locating some used RLP18s especially if down the road you would like to purchase more . I would suggest going drivers that are still available.

I looked at the LMS 5400, that's an awful lot for one driver though, and I don't think I'd be able to add a second for a while
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20838126


That's a pretty large room but if you're just asking for reference level down to 20hz. That can be done. No problem.



Driver selection is at it's all time worst low right now, unfortunately. You either got to make do with what IS available... or be really patient.

I do already have 2 Dayton RSS390HO-4 15" sub drivers, would building those into a THT give the output I'm looking for? I'm not particularly a fan of horns, but I wouldn't mind using a pair until there are more drivers back on the market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20838160


Not sure if the HO works in the THT but it's worth a try. You haven't mentioned what kind of SPL you are after but two THT's should easily get you into the mid 120dB area. If you end up liking the THT, you can always add more.

Yes, I am looking for 120+dB.
 

·
Bass Enabler
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
Damn, you're on the ball.



Since you have the two drivers already and feel like building something, give the THT a shot. Or check out Lilmike's F-20 horn subwoofer. It's similar to the THT but it looks way easier to build and extends to 20hz naturally. Both options will save you a bundle on amp power over the sealed LMS-R option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20838175


Damn, you're on the ball.



Since you have the two drivers already and feel like building something, give the THT a shot. Or check out Lilmike's F-20 horn subwoofer. It's similar to the THT but it looks way easier to build and extends to 20hz naturally. Both options will save you a bundle on amp power over the sealed LMS-R option.

I should be good on power, I have a Crown XTi 4000 waiting for some power hungry drivers.
I'll take a look at the F-20 too, and give one of those a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/20838224


Since you want 120 db's at the LP I would measure how much DB's you lose going from the subs or speakers to your seats and then you can figure it out.

What's the best way to do that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20838246


A simple SPL meter will help you find out. Add in a computer program like REW and you can do some measurements of your system's response.

Ah, I misunderstood the post. I have SMAART 7 and a CM-150. 115dB (pink noise) from my current sub where it's positioned comes out to about 105dB at the seating position after EQing. The room has about a 10-15dB null around the 35Hz-45Hz region, I haven't tested lower than 30Hz as the sub starts to bottom out around there.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top