AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about a week to wait until the store gets this in. i got them to bring it down to 629 for me. my question is does this tv have a qam tuner, so it will be able to pick up some hd off the cable i have, btw i use comcast. i also wanted to know if the SD channels will take up the whole screen or not cause on my 42" samsung they do but thats through cable box so i dont know. lastly, would it be worth it to rent a cable box from comcast?

·
Registered
586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpyro36 /forum/post/14186478

I have about a week to wait until the store gets this in. i got them to bring it down to 629 for me. my question is does this tv have a qam tuner, so it will be able to pick up some hd off the cable i have, btw i use comcast. i also wanted to know if the SD channels will take up the whole screen or not cause on my 42" samsung they do but thats through cable box so i dont know. lastly, would it be worth it to rent a cable box from comcast?

I'm looking at the same set for the same price for the BR.

It does have a QAM tuner, but I'd be surprised if it picked up any HD other than your locals. Many Comcast locations encrypt all HD so that a STB or cablecard is needed.

The SD channels should not take up the whole screen on a 16:9 (rectangle) set. SD is 4:3 - (think squarish). The black (or gray) bars on the sides of SD programming is normal. You could stretch the SD signal to fill the screen, but then everyone will be short and wide

As for renting a cable box - I say give it a try. Call Comcast or visit your local office and pick up an HD DVR box (or just an HD box). If you don't like it, take it back. You'd only be out the daily fee for rental/programming which shouldn't be much at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im just gonna pick up the hd converter. i ran the cable straight to my other samsung upstairs and wasnt happy with the selection of free hd channels and the sd wasnt great compared to using the box. Comcast screwed up somehow so i got dvr on that tv but were only paying for the hd converter so im hoping the same thing happens for this box.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Actually you can pick up your local HD channels with QAM if your on Comcast. They have to send the local over the air HD channels in the clear anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts