AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think its a bad idea to buy a floor model LCD? I have seen a 46" Samsung at the store, identical to mine, and tried many different settings, but the viewing angle and blacks blow mine away! I think this is the "gifted one". Considering exchanging mine for this display model. (its a S panel, version SQ01...and I have a "SX04)

I've been thinking: even if its been sitting on the floor for 1 year and on for 12 hours a day, thats just about 4000 hours, and the life is 100,000 hours. Do you guys think i should get the floor model, because i tried everything to make the dark's look light, and i couldn't do it! I went to all the stores and looked at the Samsung LCD's, but this one has the deepest blacks and widest viewing angle, at any setting

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The 5 series (550) is very good... but for some reason, the Samsungs start looking really good with the 6 Series (650) and up.

Try to see if you can view a 550 and a 650 side-by-side, playing the same material (my local BestBuy has them on the wall side-by-side). If you see a significant difference, get the 650. If you don't, buy the 550 floor model.

And btw, price-wise, places like Amazon and NewEgg are your friend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't have an answer for you on that one, I personally would not ever take a floor model.

I feel your pain on the black levels though . I had a 650 with excellent black levels but which had some dead pixels. I exchanged it and the new one has horrendous blacks. I'm debating what to do at this point.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if the lighting in the best buy store has something to do with it? For some reason, this particular TV has really good colors, and a WAY wider range of viewing angle than mine at home, and even ones i have seen in other stores (same model). Could my eyes be playing tricks on me?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know what Samsung is doing with the panels.

I also have a 'SX04' panel LN46A550, overall picture quality is not as good as the 'AA02' panel I returned.

BTW, Samsung says theire LCD life is 60,000 hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts