AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote from abcwarehouse.com


"1080p Slim/narrow LCD HDTV with 120hz auto motion plus"

this is the same for the 46" A860 and the 52" A860


Notice that it says SLIM and NARROW!

I double checked the A650 and 750 info - they do NOT say SLIM or NARROW.


No picture yet though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 /forum/post/14339672


I saw the 860 in person at the samsung experience in NYC, it is super thin compared to the 750. Looks great

Did you notice any signs of the "halo" affect created by the bezel similar to the 750s?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,188 Posts
850 is rose while 860 is deep blue with one extra USB connection.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
Does anyone here actually own the 850 or 860 yet? I've noticed that stores are carrying only one of the 8 series models, but not both, which is kinda odd. For example, Big River only shows the 850 but not 860, and ABC only shows the 860 but not 850.


No one seems to be talking about the 8 series either, bizarre.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd /forum/post/14504889


Does anyone here actually own the 850 or 860 yet? I've noticed that stores are carrying only one of the 8 series models, but not both, which is kinda odd. For example, Big River only shows the 850 but not 860, and ABC only shows the 860 but not 850.


No one seems to be talking about the 8 series either, bizarre.

OK. I just saw the 52A850 on display at CC in Southgate, MI. Great picture, slightly better than a nearby 650. Just as thin as they say. The bezel is at least 1-1/2 inches narrower than a nearby 750. TOC red seems a lot darker, too. Couldn't see any halo... bezel at the screen is dark, and the outermost clear strip of bezel is quite narrow. Could have saved over 10% based on my good looks alone.


BB across the street has 850s in back, but not on display. ABC Warehouse, down the street, will have the 860 on display on 9/3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp /forum/post/14528666


OK. I just saw the 52A850 on display at CC in Southgate, MI. Great picture, slightly better than a nearby 650. Just as thin as they say. The bezel is at least 1-1/2 inches narrower than a nearby 750. TOC red seems a lot darker, too. Couldn't see any halo... bezel at the screen is dark, and the outermost clear strip of bezel is quite narrow. Could have saved over 10% based on my good looks alone.


BB across the street has 850s in back, but not on display. ABC Warehouse, down the street, will have the 860 on display on 9/3.

how was the backlight, was there any flashlights etc.. clouds.. i would expect more of these since the bezel is thinner?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Thanks dfp for the feedback. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new LCD (my old sony xbr lcd bit the dust) and my wife wants something that quote "doesn't stick out from the wall too much".


Its come down to the 750 vs 850 for me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 /forum/post/14528697


how was the backlight, was there any flashlights etc.. clouds.. i would expect more of these since the bezel is thinner?

I saw no flashlights or clouds watching their feed. Then, since I was trying to see how PIP worked, and how to get to it with Tools, I spent a fair amount of time with 2 windows up in the lower 2/3 of the screen. So I was also looking at a big expanse of black screen above them... a dark, uniform black. Overall, the picture has that famous "pop" that we've seen with the 650/750. Viewing angle was as good, stand swivels nicely, etc. Great picture, and nice and trim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp /forum/post/14528666


OK. I just saw the 52A850 on display at CC in Southgate, MI. Great picture, slightly better than a nearby 650. Just as thin as they say. The bezel is at least 1-1/2 inches narrower than a nearby 750. TOC red seems a lot darker, too. Couldn't see any halo... bezel at the screen is dark, and the outermost clear strip of bezel is quite narrow. Could have saved over 10% based on my good looks alone.


BB across the street has 850s in back, but not on display. ABC Warehouse, down the street, will have the 860 on display on 9/3.

I was at BB yet again today. Despite having a Magnolia, the one near work sucks so I might venture further on Thursday if I have time. Anyway, I noticed I can't see any halo effect under the store lights at BB. I actually could see it pretty well at Tweeter last week (on the 750) but they also had it in one of their darkened theater rooms. Makes me think that a BB or CC isn't going to provide optimal conditions to test for the halo effect.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top