AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm incredibly lucky and have the opportunity of either picking up the 46 inch 7000 series LED set for $1365 or the 46 b750 for $1400.

Since price premium isn't a factor for the LED set....which should I choose?

·
Registered
22 Posts
man that's a sick price for the 46b7000!

i'm actually sitting here right now debating on picking up the 40b7000 for 1350.

i love the design of the LED 7000's, but from what i hear the 750's have a better picture?

i'd love to hear anyone's opinion on both sets as well.

good luck with whatever you go with!

·
Registered
117 Posts
i would suggest LN46B750...though expensive as a LCD its quite a good piece..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Auto dimming. I had read about this on the led side lit samsungs 6 & 7000 series (which you can also find at your local best buy and amazon as well), but did not know this was included with the samsung ln46b750. Gizmodo did a feature on this for the b7000 with the phrase "avoid!" in the title. Basically, anytime the scene gets dark, the tv will sense that and automatically drop or dim the backlight dramatically to get deeper blacks. The problem is that is happens usually a split second after the scene has already started and it is extremely distracting. It also darkens many bright spots in the picture somewhat, like city lights over a dark sky, or stars in a dark sky. This is very noticeable for example on the Dark Knight bluray. The more I watched, the more annoying it got. The fact that the lcd already does a good job of getting very black without the dimming is what makes it really unnecessary. I find this information from this review

Hope it help

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr /forum/post/17011296

Get the B750. The edge lit LED's are a big disappointment. The B750 was rated the top LCD on the market by CNET. I got mine last monday and my jaw hasn't come off the floor yet.

Agreed, I had a 55B7100 and wasn't impressed other then the slim factor. I returned it and got a 52B750 which I'm very happy with.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone...

I saw that amazing Sears deal yesterday and was tempted by the 7000 just because of the deal I would be getting. I did see the whole "dark corners" thinkg everyone talks about while staring at the set in the store.

I ended up going with the 750....very nice set. No flashlights, no serious clouding, I honestly can't believe it. Everyone always says these issues are the "downfalls" of LCD technology, but I believe Samsung has found a way around them with this set.

I was watching Star Wars last night with all the lights off and I had a uniform black screen. I couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cads /forum/post/17012509

Auto dimming. I had read about this on the led side lit samsungs 6 & 7000 series (which you can also find at your local best buy and amazon as well), but did not know this was included with the samsung ln46b750. Gizmodo did a feature on this for the b7000 with the phrase "avoid!" in the title. Basically, anytime the scene gets dark, the tv will sense that and automatically drop or dim the backlight dramatically to get deeper blacks. The problem is that is happens usually a split second after the scene has already started and it is extremely distracting. It also darkens many bright spots in the picture somewhat, like city lights over a dark sky, or stars in a dark sky. This is very noticeable for example on the Dark Knight bluray. The more I watched, the more annoying it got. The fact that the lcd already does a good job of getting very black without the dimming is what makes it really unnecessary. I find this information from this review

Hope it help

there's not a way to turn off the auto-dim feature on the 7000 like you can on the b750?

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECH8TR /forum/post/17015574

I think their is...

if there is then there is no reason to pass on it because of this feature...also from what I understand reading in the B750 thread is that the dimming feature only occurs in believe standard and movie mode...not sure if that is correct...but I am sure it does not happen in every mode because when i'm running mine in dynamic or bd-wise i don't have this problem

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cads /forum/post/17012509

Hope it help

If a tree falls in a forest........

I have yet to see auto-dimming on this TV, or maybe it's happening and i don't see it. I have 20/20 vision, i have watched the Dark Knight a few times, and my blacks are bezel like with no hint of the picture dimming. My whites stay white, my blacks stay black, and the picture doesn't fluctuate. I know what to look for because i remember the old Panny plasmas used to be very annoying with the fluctuation.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr /forum/post/17015753

If a tree falls in a forest........

I have yet to see auto-dimming on this TV, or maybe it's happening and i don't see it. I have 20/20 vision, i have watched the Dark Knight a few times, and my blacks are bezel like with no hint of the picture dimming. My whites stay white, my blacks stay black, and the picture doesn't fluctuate. I know what to look for because i remember the old Panny plasmas used to be very annoying with the fluctuation.

you have the b750 correct?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopez12 /forum/post/17015847

you have the b750 correct?

OOps, sorry, yes, i have the B750. One of the main reasons CNET tells you to consider the B750 over the edge lit LED sets is screen uniformity. The good CCFL's, like the B750, technology wise, currently trump the edge lit displays. I knew from the very beginning that until the technology dicatates otherwise, that if you buy an LCD, your best bet is to get a good CCFL (like the B750), or if you want an LED LCD make sure it's LD (local dimming).

Samsung advertises the B6000/7000 as being sexy looking because of the thinness, they don't really push the edge lit factor, so, many people bought these on form factor but became very disappointed with the screen uniformity. The bottom line is buy a display that gives you the best PQ on the front of the display, don't buy one because of what you see from the side of the display.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Interesting thread for me because I own both the 52b750 and the 46B7000. With both TVs, I haven't calibrated either to make sure I'm getting the best picture so I probably wouldn't have noticed the auto dimming in the 46B7000. But when I finally do, I'll keep an eye out. hopefully there's a way to turn it off.

That would have been a killer price for 46B7000 OP, I had paid $1659 for it from Amazon in November 2009. The 52b750 I got for free with a swap on my 52A750 I bought late in 2008. I complained about the halo effect right before the warranty was up. Can't remember when the swap went down - sometime either in or shortly after december 2009

·
Registered
271 Posts
Get the B750. I have a 46B8000 and returned or passed on two other 55B8000s that had "dark corners." The 46B8000 doesn't have dark corners, but it still has uneven backlighting that I can't help but notice on occasion. For my next TV I considered all of the edge-lit sets and found almost every one I looked at had some kind of lighting issue, but that's not to say they all do. I ended up with a fully backlit LG and it's the best TV in house, over my Samsung, Sonys, and Sharp. The LG has no lighting issues whatsoever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts