AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As magnificent a picture this set can produce, it does not to this point make up for the motion blur IMO. There are times that this set takes my breath away, and others that make me very angry. I understand the "garbage in is garbage out" saying, but this goes beyond that.

For example, there are movies broadcast on FoxHD that have triple ball effect so bad that you can't even watch it. So I guess you can blame the quality of the content, but that argument only goes so far because that same content is still viewable through plasma technology. I know this because I have both technologies.

As far as I am concerned, LCD has not pushed through the motion issue barrier yet. They are right there, but have not yet crested that hill. I do not see how any true videophile finds the unnatural movement of LCD in any way acceptable.

As I have mentioned before, I can deal with the uniformity issues and slight flash lighting but the motion issues have not fallen into my subconscious as I hoped they would.

As hard as it will be to give up the customization and sometimes breathtaking PQ of the LN, I don't see that I will be happy with this in the long run.

I would be happy to hear from 800U owners that can tell me if my inclinations are leading me down the right path or if maybe I am overanalyzing.

FYI- I have heard people complain about how easy the bezel scratches and collects dust and they are 100% right. Dust is a huge problem but the scratch issue is for real. I pealed the plastic coating off my brand new set to find a scratch pre-installed for me with minor abrassive scuff marks in the same area near the touch controls.

Thanks

·
Banned
739 Posts
I was a big LCD guy. I bought the Panny 850U and I have never been happier! The 800U is an EXCELLENT TV rated just under the Kuro. I never thought I would buy a Plasma. I am so glad a did. Picture blew away my XBR5 (which is an excellent LCD). It's razor sharp, crisp. I am still in awe.

·
Registered
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly /forum/post/15551699

As magnificent a picture this set can produce, it does not to this point make up for the motion blur IMO. There are times that this set takes my breath away, and others that make me very angry. I understand the "garbage in is garbage out" saying, but this goes beyond that.

For example, there are movies broadcast on FoxHD that have triple ball effect so bad that you can't even watch it. So I guess you can blame the quality of the content, but that argument only goes so far because that same content is still viewable through plasma technology. I know this because I have both technologies.

As far as I am concerned, LCD has not pushed through the motion issue barrier yet. They are right there, but have not yet crested that hill. I do not see how any true videophile finds the unnatural movement of LCD in any way acceptable.

As I have mentioned before, I can deal with the uniformity issues and slight flash lighting but the motion issues have not fallen into my subconscious as I hoped they would.

As hard as it will be to give up the customization and sometimes breathtaking PQ of the LN, I don't see that I will be happy with this in the long run.

I would be happy to hear from 800U owners that can tell me if my inclinations are leading me down the right path or if maybe I am overanalyzing.

FYI- I have heard people complain about how easy the bezel scratches and collects dust and they are 100% right. Dust is a huge problem but the scratch issue is for real. I pealed the plastic coating off my brand new set to find a scratch pre-installed for me with minor abrassive scuff marks in the same area near the touch controls.

Thanks

That's all fine and dandy, but what about plasma glare, HUGE power consumption, burn in, and toxic gas that needs to be recharged every yr or two?

Seriously though, those that favor LCD over plasma are lying to themselves

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivman /forum/post/15554303

That's all fine and dandy, but what about plasma glare, HUGE power consumption, burn in, and toxic gas that needs to be recharged every yr or two?

Toxic gas?
Someone fill me in. My life is more valuable than my plasma.

·
Banned
739 Posts

Quote:

LOL. I was one of those people until I actually gave Plasmas a chance.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:

Huh? I thought plasmas used neon and xenon, which are 'inert' gases but not poisonous in any way. Also, there isn't very much of it in the TV either.

Also thought you couldn't recharge most plasmas, and that the half-life for brightness on them was MUCH longer than 1-2 years of use these days?

I myself slightly prefer LCDs, but unless I'm sorely off-base, it seems like there's a number of plasma myths still out there.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I found an acceptable compromise with my 650 LCD, which is AMP off for BD/DVD and AMP Low for 1080i cable, but I plan to buy plasma next time, because my eyes never seem to totally relax watching the LCD.

I do think the blur is largely content related - because if you watch Dark Knight, it's silky smooth - if the TV had inherent blur, that movie wouldn't be immune.

But I hate wondering if the next Blu-Ray I watch will be perfect like Dark Knight, or a blur fest like Sex and the City.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivman /forum/post/15555860

It was a joke people

Oh, sorry. But y'know, some ppl actually still believe things like that.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong /forum/post/15556835

I found an acceptable compromise with my 650 LCD, which is AMP off for BD/DVD and AMP Low for 1080i cable, but I plan to buy plasma next time, because my eyes never seem to totally relax watching the LCD.

I do think the blur is largely content related - because if you watch Dark Knight, it's silky smooth - if the TV had inherent blur, that movie wouldn't be immune.

But I hate wondering if the next Blu-Ray I watch will be perfect like Dark Knight, or a blur fest like Sex and the City.

And why were you watching Sex and the City??

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong /forum/post/15558784

Cause I'm not single?

Truer words were never spoken.

Honestly, it wasn't such an awful TV show... in very small doses.

But I think a movie-length dose would have many guys wondering exactly how high the roof of their house was, so they could jump off.

There's only so much "women b*tching about men, and talking relationships and purses" one can take.

Why the heck can't women enjoy beer, action movies, NFL football, and video games? Even a little?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.