AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post,


I’m hoping to get a little help making a decision. I recently purchased an open box (return) Samsung LN52B750 (S panel) from BB. It looked in good shape in the store but when I received it the bezel was all scuffed up as though someone wiped it down with a dirty rag. As they no longer have this model available BB has agreed to replace with a new in the box Sony 52Z5100 or their store display LN52B750 which I have inspected and appears to be in great shape. My viewing habits are 70% HD cable, 10% SD cable and 20% DVD/Blu-Ray.


At this point they have the B750 all wrapped up and put in back for Saturday delivery. I figure I have until then to make a final decision. I can’t touch either one of these on-line for less than $300 additional. Any thoughts on which way to go?


Thanks,

Rick

Edit,


I probably should have mentioned I'm new to the flat screens and am replacing a Sony 32" Wega CRT with this new LCD. After having watched this for a week and tweaking the settings with help from this forum I'm very impressed with the picture on the 750.Is the Sony any better or any worse? The one thing that has me thinking the Sony is the less reflective screen as my family room has a good bit of light due to a 9' wide slider and some backlighting from the kitchen when the lights are on and it's open to the family room. All comments are apreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
Have a similar setup, with glass doors behind and dining room lights. Would have preferred a plasma, but it's also is very reflective. Was looking at the Sharp LED, has more of a matted screen, but went with a Z5100 due to the price cut. The Z5100 is semi-matted, so you see some reflection. Some flashlighting (depends on the set you get) if the backlighting gets above 5 on some sets, have it set to 4 for daytime viewing and go into theater mode at night without lights. Yahoo Widgets slow to come up, don't really use them. Some use the Netflix option and had some problems with freezing with lastest firmware, but assume that will be fixed in future (already had a Roku box and use it instead). Overall satisfied so far with the Z5100.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any other comments?


Is there any reason to be concerned about a display model which has been on 8hrs. a day in demo mode for a few months? Is it pretty much a toss up between these 2 sets? Would you think if I'm happy with the Samsung I'd be equally happy with the Sony. I do like the idea fo the less reflective screen on the Sony.


Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eglider05 /forum/post/18142194


Any other comments?


Is there any reason to be concerned about a display model which has been on 8hrs. a day in demo mode for a few months? Is it pretty much a toss up between these 2 sets? Would you think if I'm happy with the Samsung I'd be equally happy with the Sony. I do like the idea fo the less reflective screen on the Sony.


Rick

The demo B750 should be considered as a second hand or "open box" unit. It has also likely been running in demo or "torch" mode resulting in more heat which equates to potentially more wear on the electronics. I think the service menu has a counter or the amount of time that it has been in power on mode, and this would help you judge the amount of use (difficult to do as it has already been boxed up). How would you feel if it had been on the shop floor for six or more months? Are they really only open for 8 hours a day, or is it more like 10 or 12 hours a day, 7 days a week?


It is a nice set, but there are limits to how much you should compromise.


An additional credit for taking it off their hands would be appropriate. Without it I would lean toward getting the brand new z5100.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,478 Posts
The B750 is far superior to the Sony. However, i would hesitate on getting an open box item. I would try to somehow get a new B750. If you cannot get a new B750 from BB (you actually can) then i suppose the Sony will do. Like i said, BB DOES have new B750's in stock. It's up to you to realize that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr /forum/post/18144486


If you cannot get a new B750 from BB (you actually can) then i suppose the Sony will do. Like i said, BB DOES have new B750's in stock. It's up to you to realize that.

I did try to get new. The store manager got on the puter and claims he couldn't get one.


Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickpiteo /forum/post/18146061


Amazon

I think that's the way I may be headed. In my heart I know I want the Samsung, glossy screen and all. I think I was trying to see if I could be convinced I'd be happy with the Sony. My guess is after having lived with the Samsung for a week and a half I would be disappointed with the Sony.


I'm going to call BB and tell them to scratch the demo unit and just pick this one up. If the can't come up with a new in the box unit then on to Amazon.


Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
I saw the B750 and LG55H90 last night in a 6th ave electronics store both in a dark room they have.


And both were great sets but the B750 even with it not being an LED was outstanding. It just looked a tad sharper and the blacks were a bit inkier..


But both sets were great
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,664 Posts
In near black scenes, the LH90 will have deeper blacks with higher contrast ratio. On a completely black screen, you can't even tell the LH90 is on, even in a completely dark room. B750 has to dim the entire backlight to achieve it's deep blacks (it has an autodimming feature enabled which can only be disabled in the service menu), the LH90 can simply dim certain zones. Overall, the LH90 has better black level performance and higher contrast ratio. With the 10 point IRE adjustments, you can get near perfect grayscale calibration and color accuracy is near perfect out of the box.


The B750 is a good TV too, though. Definitely the best CCFL LCD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,466 Posts
It's a shame that LG can't make a more aesthetically pleasing TV. I know picture quality is what counts cause you're viewing the picture. But, I find most LGs so freakin' ugly looking that I'd never want one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel /forum/post/18146924


In near black scenes, the LH90 will have deeper blacks with higher contrast ratio. On a completely black screen, you can't even tell the LH90 is on, even in a completely dark room. B750 has to dim the entire backlight to achieve it's deep blacks (it has an autodimming feature enabled which can only be disabled in the service menu), the LH90 can simply dim certain zones. Overall, the LH90 has better black level performance and higher contrast ratio. With the 10 point IRE adjustments, you can get near perfect grayscale calibration and color accuracy is near perfect out of the box.


The B750 is a good TV too, though. Definitely the best CCFL LCD.

I hear you but I been to 2 diff stores and the B750 was just better looking by a bit then the LG... Both were in a theater style room and the blacks and smoothness of the samsung picture was slightly more appealing.


But the LG is very good. It is just my opinion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I just ordered the Samsung 46B750.


I have been thinking about buying a new 46 inch tv for a while now. I finally decided on the Samsung B650. But, out of stock at all local retailers. So, then I started looking at the B750. BB is out of them. In fact, the TV wall at BB is empty, kind of sad looking. Clearing room for new 2010 models.


But, Amazon has B750 in stock, and the price is good right now because newer models are close to coming out. So, i went Amazon, it apparently should be here Thursday, I can't wait!


If it were me, i wouldn't get a floor demo unit. A local retailer had the B750 floor model for sale. Funny, Amazon brand new B750 was cheaper than the local retailer demo unit. When I spend that much money I want brand new! Although I could always get a lemon.


Anyway, my 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Done deal, BB agreed to take this one back and refund the money and I just purchased new in the box LNB750 on Amazon for $150 more than I'll be refunded.


Thanks for helping me decide which way to go. (I hope I get an "S" panel
).


Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eglider05 /forum/post/18147228


Done deal, BB agreed to take this one back and refund the money and I just purchased new in the box LNB750 on Amazon for $150 more than I'll be refunded.


Thanks for helping me decide which way to go. (I hope I get an "S" panel
).


Rick

Assuming you're getting a 52", all 52B750's are S panels AFAIK, unless something changed recently. It's the 40" and 46" models that are affected by the panel lottery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide /forum/post/18146988


It's a shame that LG can't make a more aesthetically pleasing TV. I know picture quality is what counts cause you're viewing the picture. But, I find most LGs so freakin' ugly looking that I'd never want one.

I think the LG is nice looking physically and in terms of PQ.....No complaints except the fact that you cannot separate dejudder
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel /forum/post/18147324


Assuming you're getting a 52", all 52B750's are S panels AFAIK, unless something changed recently. It's the 40" and 46" models that are affected by the panel lottery.

Yes, it is a 52". Thanks for the info, it helps ease my mind over this issue. I'm feeling a lot better with my decision to scrap the BB demo unit. Even though I wouldn't mind a little less reflection off the screen (have found ways to deal with it) I really love everything else about the B750.


I really didn't do the prior research I usually do before a big (for me) purchase. After I received it I started snooping around this forum and discovered I got lucky and bought a real gem.


Thanks to all for the help,

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 /forum/post/18147433


I think the LG is nice looking physically and in terms of PQ.....No complaints except the fact that you cannot separate dejudder

I hear ya. Everyone has a different opinion. Personally, I really like the Sony brand. I just hate that they charge so much because of the name. And back in the day, I'd never even consider owning Samsung, but they just make their TVs so damn sexy looking. Curse you, Samsung!!!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top